GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
...so you don't have to wear boots like that?

View attachment 365137
lol. I just learned to put my left foot down only at stops and use my right foot to stop the bikes last few feet of travel with the rear brake only, no front brake at all to prevent dumping the bike. My right foot always covers the rear brake and I tap it intermittently to catch drivers attention as they approach.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Interesting that your feet no longer sit flat but your arms are more relaxed (bent at the elbow). Seems like an overall win.
I agree. I love the seating position. I don't feel that the bike is too high. It's just a little different.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
81 Posts
Does anyone have an RDL seat with their backrest or a Utopia backrest? I'm planning to order the RDL, but trying to determine if I should order their backrest or keep the Utopia.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anyone have an RDL seat with their backrest or a Utopia backrest? I'm planning to order the RDL, but trying to determine if I should order their backrest or keep the Utopia.
If your not moving the seat back, the utopia will work. I moved mine back, so you have to go with there BR. I could have used my OEM backrest if I didn’t move it back. Moving it back hasn’t bothered my wife, she did say a larger person it might be a problem. It does save a decent amount of money using your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine was done during the Christmas/New Year holiday so they had some time off, but I would say within a couple weeks of your start date, plus days for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Interesting that your feet no longer sit flat but your arms are more relaxed (bent at the elbow). Seems like an overall win.
Here, I would guess the pic is misleading cause raising a seat height would not cause your arms to be closer to the handlebars with bent elbows; furthermore, I would guess the pic are more indicative of the shoulder rotational/position to reach the handlebars.

A higher seat would cause one to have to lean forward more. If you lean forward more, maybe then you could speculate that your elbows would rest at a greater angle.

Hey, if I am not making any sense don't worry, my girlfriend would agree with you.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
81 Posts
I agree. I love the seating position. I don't feel that the bike is too high. It's just a little different.
After looking closely at the pics, it appears that your seating position is a little further forward. Does it feel that way to you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
After looking closely at the pics, it appears that your seating position is a little further forward. Does it feel that way to you?
It’s not really noticeable to me yet. When the weather breaks here in Ohio and I go for my first two up ride I should be able to tell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Is the RDL seat available with an adjustable back rest for the front seat? If so, how much more $$$ is it?
They can do almost anything you want. the web site says the custom backrest it’s an extra $325.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts
Well its a year later and I finally got a Russel Day Long to try out for myself. I havn't ridden on it yet, but I can comment on some of the details.

It was a 3 month wait for a production date...I sent my Wingsoft seat to Russel Day Long about two weeks before my production date just to make sure it got there early...it was 120 dollars to send my seat to the West Coast with UPS....its 6 days for shipping to get to the West Coast...they were done with my seat in about 8 days and it took another 8 days to get back to the East Coast..so 1 month without my seat, but there was snow and nasty weather anyways so no real down time...so if you don't want to lose any riding time, November is a good time to get things going with Russel Day Long.

Both the rider and passanger seat was made into a Russel Day Long... all black vinyl cover, with OEM heat and riders backrest slot retained...bought Russels rain cover for the seat..978.00 dollars with returned shipping...so total cost with all shipping costs...1098 dollars

The seat looks very nice with a higher quialty looking vinyl than the OEM vinyl that Honda used..can't wait to get to out and try it out.

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim
Automotive design Carbon Gas Composite material Auto part

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a Utopia and sold it when I ordered my RDL with a backrest. Here's a photo

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Well its a year later and I finally got a Russel Day Long to try out for myself. I havn't ridden on it yet, but I can comment on some of the details.

It was a 3 month wait for a production date...I sent my Wingsoft seat to Russel Day Long about two weeks before my production date just to make sure it got there early...it was 120 dollars to send my seat to the West Coast with UPS....its 6 days for shipping to get to the West Coast...they were done with my seat in about 8 days and it took another 8 days to get back to the East Coast..so 1 month without my seat, but there was snow and nasty weather anyways so no real down time...so if you don't want to lose any riding time, November is a good time to get things going with Russel Day Long.

Both the rider and passanger seat was made into a Russel Day Long... all black vinyl cover, with OEM heat and riders backrest slot retained...bought Russels rain cover for the seat..978.00 dollars with returned shipping...so total cost with all shipping costs...1098 dollars

The seat looks very nice with a higher quialty looking vinyl than the OEM vinyl that Honda used..can't wait to get to out and try it out.

View attachment 379826 View attachment 379834

Sweet! Very nice looking!
You’ll love it especially on the very long rides when soreness and butt-burn are a thing of the past.
Money well spent IMHO.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more. Russell Day-Long has been my saddle since the 90's

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts
I installed my Russel Day Long seat today and couldnt resist a ride to try it out. I only rode 45 miles but my first impressions...the pictures you send
to Russell for the seat build....Russell is spot on with the bui!d...the bikes cockpit feels perfect for me. The black vinyl that Russel uses matches the OEM passanger backrest pretty well.

The seat does raise you a bit in the cockpit and you are not quite as flat foot standing still at first, but you quickly learn to slide forward on the seats nose and it allows you to get your flat foot better and that offers a good feel for maneuvering the bike with parking lot maneuvers. I adjusted to the new feel pretty quick.

Once under way, you quickly side back just a bit into the seats pocket and you immediately notice the increased seat area offering a firmer feeling seat, with more clearence between the front of the passanger seat and your backside...the seating area feels wider and more roomy, along with a much more supported feel than the OEM seat or a Wingsoft.

A long distance report will have to wait til June, but my first impressions with my short 45 mile ride with my Russel Day Long ... Im impressed so far with the seats feel and the build quialty, and Im feeling pretty good after spending nearly 1100 dollars for a new seat.
Vehicle Sports gear Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
296 Posts
Had one on my Connie 1000. Got my ride in appointment 3/25

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used the Utopia seat with my build. The seat doesn't seem as hot as before, but I have only ridden once since I got it back.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts
I used the Utopia seat with my build. The seat doesn't seem as hot as before, but I have only ridden once since I got it back.
My stock seat never felt like it got all that hot with the OEM seat. Ive always used it on high and rarely turn it down...with the Wingsoft, the heat seemed to feel a bit less and I wondered if the Wingsoft had any foam over the heating pad to insulate you from the heat...the heat feels a bit better with this Russell Day Long and I could feel the heat more, but still doesnt get hot enough in IMO...with 5 settings I should be able to use the mid settings more...but maybe its just me because with the Wingsoft my GF would always turn the rear seat heat down to around 2.

The heated seat is nice to have, but honestly I could easily live without it. I wear heated pant liners anyways...they are so comfortable under your jeans with no bulky feel, and are superior to any heated seat for a comfortable ride in colder weather.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts