GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I never used my stock seat in cold weather. Rode the RDL on December 24th, my last ride. I guess it is hard to make a comparison.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I realize seat comfort and preference is a very subjective, personal thing. Before my Wing I had a Mustang seat that I bought at Americade for my Harley Ultra Classic . While it was not an all-day seat, I went from a one-hour seat (OEM) to a three-hour seat. I was happy with that because I never have been an iron butt ride kinda person. I'm not getting any younger and I'm a 4XL guy, so after 2-3 hours I want to stop and stretch for a while. We also got an Ultimate seat at Daytona Bike Week for my wife's Heritage Softail. She had the same result...went from a 1 hour seat to a 3 hour seat. After owning this bike for a bit over 2 months, I've found this OEM seat is also a 1 hour seat for me, and just barely. I will at some point have to upgrade. I've read lots of rave reviews about the RDL, and have seen a couple in person. While I haven't had the opportunity to sit on one, they look darn comfortable and the build quality of the conversion looks great. I just can't come to terms with them building their seat on my OEM seat pan and having to ship my seat out to them (and the subsequent down time). While I'm no custom saddle expert, from what I've read the seat pan is part of what makes seat comfort. My understanding is that this is why seat manufacturers come up with their own proprietary seat pan designs. I'm glad that the RDL works for the folks who invested in them. It was the right decision for them. For me, I think I will be taking a ride up to Destination Daytona when the time comes and see our friends at Ultimate.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts
I realize seat comfort and preference is a very subjective, personal thing. Before my Wing I had a Mustang seat that I bought at Americade for my Harley Ultra Classic . While it was not an all-day seat, I went from a one-hour seat (OEM) to a three-hour seat. I was happy with that because I never have been an iron butt ride kinda person. I'm not getting any younger and I'm a 4XL guy, so after 2-3 hours I want to stop and stretch for a while. We also got an Ultimate seat at Daytona Bike Week for my wife's Heritage Softail. She had the same result...went from a 1 hour seat to a 3 hour seat. After owning this bike for a bit over 2 months, I've found this OEM seat is also a 1 hour seat for me, and just barely. I will at some point have to upgrade. I've read lots of rave reviews about the RDL, and have seen a couple in person. While I haven't had the opportunity to sit on one, they look darn comfortable and the build quality of the conversion looks great. I just can't come to terms with them building their seat on my OEM seat pan and having to ship my seat out to them (and the subsequent down time). While I'm no custom saddle expert, from what I've read the seat pan is part of what makes seat comfort. My understanding is that this is why seat manufacturers come up with their own proprietary seat pan designs. I'm glad that the RDL works for the folks who invested in them. It was the right decision for them. For me, I think I will be taking a ride up to Destination Daytona when the time comes and see our friends at Ultimate.
I honestly dont see how the seat pan makes the seat more comfortable..The aftermarket seats have to have the same shape seat pan as the OEM seat pan to fit the bike. I think the aftermarket seat makers just make a new seat pan to be able to sell a total replacement seat.

The problem as I see it with the OEM seat design is the seat simply doesn't offer enough seat area to support your body weight to prevent hot spots as you ride...the Wingsoft offers better foam than OEM and that extends its comfort, but still the seats shape and lack of support leads to hot spots while in the saddle all day long.

I know its sort of a pain shipping your seat off...but the way I see it is all the aftermarket seats for this bike are built for the masses...it doesnt matter if your 160lbs or 280 lbs the seat is built the same...and nearly the same shape as the OEM seat.

Russel Day Long builds a seat to fit you...they use different foam density and a heavier suspension in the seat for a larger heavy rider and a different foam density for a lighter rider...they place the seat pocket in the seat for your body size and the seat supports more of your body. It just makes sense that a custom seat like the Russell will be more comfortable for the rider its made for....anyways...that was my thinking when I decided to spent the money for a more comfortable seat. The Russell Day Long was the safer bet with my goal of being able to ride all day in comfort.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I honestly dont see how the seat pan makes the seat more comfortable..The aftermarket seats have to have the same shape seat pan as the OEM seat pan to fit the bike. I think the aftermarket seat makers just make a new seat pan to be able to sell a total replacement seat.

The problem as I see it with the OEM seat design is the seat simply doesn't offer enough seat area to support your body weight to prevent hot spots as you ride...the Wingsoft offers better foam than OEM and that extends its comfort, but still the seats shape and lack of support leads to hot spots while in the saddle all day long.

I know its sort of a pain shipping your seat off...but the way I see it is all the aftermarket seats for this bike are built for the masses...it doesnt matter if your 160lbs or 280 lbs the seat is built the same...and nearly the same shape as the OEM seat.

Russel Day Long builds a seat to fit you...they use different foam density and a heavier suspension in the seat for a larger heavy rider and a different foam density for a lighter rider...they place the seat pocket in the seat for your body size and the seat supports more of your body. It just makes sense that a custom seat like the Russell will be more comfortable for the rider its made for....anyways...that was my thinking when I decided to spent the money for a more comfortable seat. The Russell Day Long was the safer bet with my goal of being able to ride all day in comfort.
I think your thought process is sound, and the important thing is that you ended up with the product that was right for you. These things aren't cheap!

You might find this paper interesting: https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/...943/Motorcycle Seats 101.pdf?v=20120329163445 It sheds a bit of light on the seat pan issue.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Let me be the odd man out. More than one way to skin a cat and this does it for me. Did the ride in and they got it right. 960 miles home from Death Valley in a day and just perfect for my backside.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts
Let me be the odd man out. More than one way to skin a cat and this does it for me. Did the ride in and they got it right. 960 miles home from Death Valley in a day and just perfect for my backside. View attachment 379933
Very nice looking machine you have there...the seat looks great

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts
Well I just finished a 9 day road trip on my RDL..some days were 12 hour days in the saddle..the RDL was amazing...no standing to relieve any pressure points..no need to use seat beads, the RDL was just comfort and roomy, and what a difference it made with the overal fun factor on those long days in the saddle...the RDL lives up to all the hype you read about and I recommend to anyone who wants all day comfort to make the plunge and get on the production list...you won't regret it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why is it a necessity to have both feet flat? Just curious.
Agreed, when stopped only your left foot should be on the ground, right foot on the rear brake, this way you are ready to go in the event of an potential situation like someone not stopping in time....that extra second makes all the difference...any MSF course will teach you unless it's windy or the ground is slopped, you should only use one foot.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It does take time to master, but the left foot down method really is the best. If you turn the wheel slightly to the right as you stop, the bike will tilt to the left. Makes stopping on a hill much easier. I still want the ability to put both feet down though.

Reactions: virginiawing

·
Registered
210 Posts
61 - 71 of 71 Posts