GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys,

Is this the model I need or shold I trade for the little one I've been seeing in the pictures. The display is 4 1/2 x 1 3/4 x 3/4 so it will fit anywhere. It looks cool and I want to go put it in now but just want to see if there are any drawbacks. I don't plan to swap it back and forth to the house.

Thanks for any tips or advice. :xmas1:

·
Registered
23 Posts
XM Commander

I just got an e-mail from Buy.com with an advertisement for this Terk model. I have a delphi sky, and I would say that if you don't need to move it between locations that it would be the way to go. At $99 after rebate and the $5.95 monthly charge for added XM receivers I may get one anyway so I don't have to negotiate w/ my wife to take it out of the house!

How does it mount? Being able to put it away in the rain is a requirement.

Courtney in Seattle

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just switched from the Delphi SkyFi to the XM Cammanded. Looks much better then the SkyFi. Installed the reciever in the trunk where the CD changer goes, and the control unit on top of the clutch cylinder. The $60 repate from Terk is only good if you buy a radio also.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hey Darmes, give us a little more detail. Is it an RF modulator? Plugs adapters needed? Was considering this for my delphi replacement, so the delphi can go back in the garage permenantly, but not sure of the bike install.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Commander makes a MUCH neater install. Only the small control head needs to be mounted in an area you can get to it. Only one wire, instaed of the three required for the SkiFi. The commanded comes with an FM modulator, I mounted it under the seat and connected it into the antenna there. The display is even easier to read than the SkiFi. Thers has been some discussion about the sound quality when using an FM Modulator vs. the Aux input jack. I can't tell the difference. If my digital camera hadn't just quick working, I'd post some pictures.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Thanks dave, wanted to know if anything extra for the antenna connection would be needed. Or the radio contained all needed. Think I will get one, getting tired of removing the delphi everytime I park.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was finaly able to get a couple of pictures, You can fine them here, click on the pictures for a larger view.

http://www.darmes.com/gold_wing_gl1800.htm

I currently have the antenna mounted inside the trunk, and I find the signal cuts out auite a bit. In the next coulpe of days, I'll be relocating outside the trunk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The manual makes no mention of it, so I assume it isn't. Zip lock bag over the control unit does the trick. I used Velcro to attach the control unit, and left enough cable so I can pull it lose and tuck it away in the left faring pocket is need be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The manual makes no mention of it, so I assume it isn't. Zip lock bag over the control unit does the trick. I used Velcro to attach the control unit, and left enough cable so I can pull it lose and tuck it away in the left faring pocket is need be.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Two more questions

The XM Commander seems to be the answer. I love my iPod, but even with 7gigs of music, I could use some variety.

So, I have two questions:
1) Is a ground and/or a power filter needed with this unit?

2) Since the tuner box has the capibility for using the AUX input, have any of you used that vs. the FM modulator?

Of course, using the modulator would allow for the iPod to remain hooked up to the AUX, but do I really need this much music? (bonus retorical question)

·
Registered
29 Posts
No isolators are required if you use the FM modulator. There are strong feelings as to wich is the best especially on the XMFan board. But I can't tell the difference.

If you mount the receiver in the trunk, the modulator can go under the seat and there is an antenna connection near the back of the seat.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Removed my delphia, and installed the commandor. The commandor overpowers the fm radio completely, so to hear fm the xm has to be shut off. Left the antenna on my dash, run the wire down the mirror soft cover, through the right side of the upper tank cover. Pulled the control head wire through the upper tank cover too. Left hand side of the upper tank cover is a bear to pull thru, used that side for the aux power to the commandor. So far I like the commandor better. My control head is cabled on the right side, so if it rains the right pocket gets mine for storage. Can hide it under lock and key too. If they only made a bigger on/off button. Best of luck, took about three hours at worse. PS !! Page 7 of the manual state the volume can be increased, just hit menu and select volume and raise. Also states not to get the control head wet, and do not leave in direct sunlight. Possibly overheat the LCD screen. so put it in the pocket when parked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts