GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, the weather guru said mid-30s to low-40s and scattered light rain throughout the day, so I rode the bike to work (year-round rider). By noon, the light rain turned into a full on snow blast. I figured since the temps were hovering around 38-40, nothing would stick, so I left work at 5 p.m. for the 48-mile commute home. I was basically right. The roads were just watery. The huge snow flurries were no problem on I-95 at normal speed, at least until the HOV merge. From that point on, it was 5-10 MPH riding the clutch with each snow flake hitting and sticking to the windshield like a giant snowball. The last 12 miles in the dark were way to dangerous but I didn't have any options at that point. On the upside, I discovered I'm ambidextrous in reaching over the windshield to brush snow off the windshield. Of course, it all depends on what I'm doing at the time (clutch, throttle, etc.). My street off the main drag had a 1/2 inch or so and I had 4/10s of a mile to cover before pulling into the driveway. Needless to say, I don't plan to do this again anytime soon... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
:eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Glad you made it home OK. Been there and done that once in Duluth when I lived there. ONCE. I only had a 750 then and that was bad enough. Going up those hills was really harry.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Sounds like your not riding the bike to work tomorrow. :shrug::shrug:

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
408 Posts
I also got caught in the DC Snow, glad the roads where above freezing. The weathermen really BLEW that forecast.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Good to hear you made it home. I was going to ride to work yesterday also but changed my mind when I saw the forecast in the morning. Fortunately the roads stayed above freezing through the evening rush. You aren't kidding about those monster snow flakes either! :shock:

In Leesburg, the snow only dusted the grassy areas. No accumulation on the roads or driveways up here. Temps this morning were right at freezing but the road crews had treated the surface so no problems today either. My Wing is dry, clean, and safe in the garage (and looks to be there for the next few days too :? ).

This morning, the weather guru said mid-30s to low-40s and scattered light rain throughout the day, so I rode the bike to work (year-round rider). By noon, the light rain turned into a full on snow blast. I figured since the temps were hovering around 38-40, nothing would stick, so I left work at 5 p.m. for the 48-mile commute home. I was basically right. The roads were just watery. The huge snow flurries were no problem on I-95 at normal speed, at least until the HOV merge. From that point on, it was 5-10 MPH riding the clutch with each snow flake hitting and sticking to the windshield like a giant snowball. The last 12 miles in the dark were way to dangerous but I didn't have any options at that point. On the upside, I discovered I'm ambidextrous in reaching over the windshield to brush snow off the windshield. Of course, it all depends on what I'm doing at the time (clutch, throttle, etc.). My street off the main drag had a 1/2 inch or so and I had 4/10s of a mile to cover before pulling into the driveway. Needless to say, I don't plan to do this again anytime soon... :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
does anyone know how a CT vs MT handles in the snow? :evil:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
does anyone know how a CT vs MT handles in the snow? :evil:
> AlaskaJack uses CT on rear, and Rear Cycle Tire (spiked) on front.

"More recently, a little ride that was cut short by a heavy snowstorm west of Fairbanks. This was a gas stop at Tok earlier that morning. Temperature had warmed up to around 25° (from a low of 2° earlier), and there were 65 miles of icy pavement before I got on dry asphalt again."
Snow Winter Asphalt Sky Mode of transport

See: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/show...Not-Every-Road-Is-Paved&highlight=alaska+jack

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
CT has a big advantage any place where traction is at a premium. I personally have not been in snow but everything else from loose dirt to mud to wet road and an occasional ice patch. Obviously, nothing is any good on ice but studs.

BTW, I would like to ride a trike in snow. I'm thinking that as long as you weren't pushing the front, you'd be fine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I was coming down 395 towards the mixing bowl in my service van and noted the bikers bee-lining down the HOV lane to beat the weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts