GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added Race Tech 1kg springs, an All Balls bearing, and associated bushings and seals. (Sorry Max, the local shop didn't know what Traxxion is.) The ride is much different. The forks are at least 3" longer with the bike resting on the centerstand. The ground clearance is an inch or more higher. It will still drag pegs but takes a bit more work. I ordered the springs a little heavier than Race Tech recommends based in part on Max's comments about the real strength of those springs and wanting to have the extra ground clearance and dive resistance cornering. It will take some getting used to before I can take full advantage of them, but another trip to Northern Georgia is in order!

·
Vendor
2,367 Posts
tomfranken said:
Added Race Tech 1kg springs, an All Balls bearing, and associated bushings and seals. (Sorry Max, the local shop didn't know what Traxxion is.) The ride is much different. The forks are at least 3" longer with the bike resting on the centerstand. The ground clearance is an inch or more higher. It will still drag pegs but takes a bit more work. I ordered the springs a little heavier than Race Tech recommends based in part on Max's comments about the real strength of those springs and wanting to have the extra ground clearance and dive resistance cornering. It will take some getting used to before I can take full advantage of them, but another trip to Northern Georgia is in order!
Singularly, the best upgrade you can make to the GL for the least amount of money is a fork spring kit.

You will get a lot of enjoyment Tom!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Tom had motion in back too; and the lowered effect caused by his tire choice sets the bike low back there.
You're going to notice even more understeer until you do the rear end, Tom.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Tom had motion in back too; and the lowered effect caused by his tire choice sets the bike low back there.
That was probably that sidewall swaying under all that pressure......"swing low.....sweet chariot......coming for to........." 8)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
steve s said:
[quote="Arn Butt Bill":hfwtou15]Tom had motion in back too; and the lowered effect caused by his tire choice sets the bike low back there.
That was probably that sidewall swaying under all that pressure.....[/quote:hfwtou15]There was that but his springs were really soft and his rebound damping was sad. He rides with the bike on 25 and was still sitting about a mile below my bike ( 2-up at 18 ).
Gotta level the playing field for the poor guy. The bike will handle so much better with the slop removed from the arse end.
But, then again, if you were to properly load his front wheel you'd take a significant amount of weight off his rear wheel and that tire might lose traction...
Does that make sense, Max?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Max McAllister said:
Singularly, the best upgrade you can make to the GL for the least amount of money is a fork spring kit.
Dumb question here...

On the 07 (and 06) the shelf just pops right off.

under the plastic dust cover, it LOOKS like the fork spring covers are then readily visible.

Is the fork spring upgrade really as easy as
just take off the shelf,
unscew the fork spring covers,
fish out the old springs
put in the new ones
and put the covers back on?

My 07 is just two months old (3100 miles) so I don't think I need to change the oil or seals yet but the front end feels very mushy even to this novice wing rider (even my smallish Honda dirt bikes feel more "beefy")

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Dennis, there is more involved than that. I would, without hesitation get Max's springs in there. Like Max said it is the biggest,cheapest upgrade you can make and feel the difference. I belive his spring kit is only $125.00 bucks. Thats a complete steal for what you will gain, its unbeliavable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts