GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSC01140.jpg

Our first street bike was a new 2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic. Wife and I put 25,000 miles on it from 12/05 to 5/07. Good solid bike, but definitely wanted more motor (it had the stage 1 flash, stage 1 air cleaner, and Vance & Hines slip-ons which helped a little), the safety of ABS for panic stops, linked braking, quieter, better lights, on and on, and again, a lot more motor (108mph max on this Harley) so I could try to keep up with my son and his girl friend on a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 10000 - good luck on that!

DSC01480.jpg

Second bike was a new 2007 Goldwing ABS, did not want the air bag, dark red, and we put 21,000 mile on it from 5/07 to 12/08 when I sold it to a friend at work who rode a 1998 Goldwing 1500 and had not ridden an 1800. He likes used bikes and wants guys like me to buy new, pay full price and sell used, low price - oh my! It was my excuse to get a 2009.

I traded my Harley in on the Honda at Abernathy's in Union City, Tennessee. They had every model, and every color between their floor and their warehouse. They have great prices, and a brand new huge Harley building, and in a separate building they sell Honda, Yamaha, and Polaris 4-wheelers. They now sell smaller boats, and a gun shop. Ask for a salesman named Shay on the non-Harley side. We absolutely loved the bike. We can run up to 120mph chasing my son. Closer to 130mph with just me on it.

04-08-09_0908.jpg

I usually go to Daytona Bike Week and/or Biketoberfest. I was at this year’s Daytona Bike Week in March, and of course I did not have a bike. I rented a 2009 Harley Softail Custom for the first few days during the rally and put 400 miles on it. I then switched it for a 2009 Harley Ultra and rode down to Key West and back. I put 1300 miles on this bike. It is not a Goldwing and I'm glad I drove a new Harley again to confirm my choice for another Honda.

Last Tuesday 4/8, I bought this 2009 Goldwing ABS; again I did not want the air bag, Limited Edition Metallic Blue from Desoto Honda in Olive Branch Mississippi. They are great to deal with, great prices, a Powerhouse Honda dealer, the bike was ready, and the finance Gary Gentry was really cool and processed the paper work quickly. The salesman’s name was Chip and he was good also.

They have a lot of 2008's on the floor. and non ABS 2009's. I wanted a 2009 ABS, no air bag, metallic titanium but three big dealers, Abernathy, Desoto, and Russellville in Arkansas did not have one and all three were saying Honda was not making any more 2009's with ABS. I thought it was going to be easy like when I bought my last Goldwing. The metallic titanium was the last color to see in person, and I did not want to order one just relying on pictures on the web. They all said there was a price increase April 1st, so I called them April 2nd, figuring Honda's electronic viewed warehouse would now be showing a bunch more Goldwings, but no luck.

Desoto Honda called many dealers and only found one 2009 ABS metallic titanium out west but they could not pull it off that dealer. I did not up to this time even ask about the limited edition metallic blue, because I figured they were all gone, plus I was not going to pay, I heard in the beginning, a $1000 for paint. Russellville Honda still had one, but they were holding it for ransom, like $23,600. I got mine for $21,000 at Desoto Honda. They were selling the other colored 2009 ABS for $20,699 at Desoto Honda.

I still like the metallic titanium. Desoto had a non ABS in the show room and I like it better than the metallic blue. My family and everyone else really like the metallic blue. I wish I was as happy! - I guess I'm a spoiled brat, but that is why they make different colors.

Thanks for the great site!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
:congrats: on the new bike! That Metallic Blue is a beautiful color.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
:congrats:eek:nly 500 made

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm with you. I think that blue's fairly gay, but to each their own. Maybe it'll grow on ya. I think Fred H is getting his LE blue painted orange.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm with you. I think that blue's fairly gay, but to each their own. Maybe it'll grow on ya. I think Fred H is getting his LE blue painted orange.

Congratulation on the new bike. I am not a fan of this blue either but to each his own. Now that Dark Blue as in 06-07 (I think) was sweet. Again congratulations and enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Why did you sell the 2007? Sounds like you're not quite happy with your 2009 because of color.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
:congrats: but I would have opted for the yellar

·
Registered
657 Posts
It will look better once you add chrome.:congrats::thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the great comments.

I rode it to work today, 40 mile ride, 50F this morning.

Wednesday, 4/15 is the first official Wednesday Bike Night on Beale Street in Memphis. It will be a big crowd, nice weather, and everyone has been waiting all winter. They are going to have a Red Bull motocross extreme jumping exhibition to kick of this event.

Everyone likes the color of my new bike.

I guess I can quit whining about not getting the metallic titanium - oh my!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can't go wrong with blue... some say these color bikes are faster than others but I don't drive fast enough to know

1 - 20 of 21 Posts