GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Race Tech shock & gold valves UPDATED 9/2/11

Everyone,

I finally got my Race Tech shock, springs and gold valves. Getting installed on the bike next week. The shock is nicely built with billet aluminum. I can't wait.

Shock (2).jpg

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Congrats :thumbup: I think you will really like the setup I know I like mine and I have installed quite a few in my area and the guys are enjoying them also. Lot less money than the other brand and work almost just as good. Leaves alot more money to spend on gas :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Are you doing the install?

I have my springs and gold valves sitting here waiting for me to work up the nerve . . . .

and now I have a leaking fork seal, so need to take a deep breath and get er done!

:shock:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Keep in mind that Race Tech's recommendations for oil weight and compression damping favor sport riding over comfort touring. OK if you want to run with sport bikes, less desirable if you want to cruise and smell the roses. Dialing in for comfort is still light years ahead of the stock setup though.

Pete

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not doing the install myself. A certified race tech dealer in Albuqeurque is---High Velocity Cycles. I've rebuilt shocks before on dirt bikes, but I now leave it to the pros. Although I could easily replace the rear shock there's too much involved in front shocks with shimming etc.

Race tech built the rear shock to accomidate my riding style (intermediate), not too stiff, but stiff enough to have a good time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Are you doing the install?

I have my springs and gold valves sitting here waiting for me to work up the nerve . . . .

and now I have a leaking fork seal, so need to take a deep breath and get er done!

:shock:
I feel your pain! Mine are in the other room, just haven't had the time to tare it down!

·
Administrator
4,788 Posts
Time to come clean

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a new Race tech set-up still sitting in the garage. I had to walk around the 'ol girl several times before I made the cut into the seat for the Utopia 10 years ago. Guess I'm doing the same thing with the springs. One of these days.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a new Race tech set-up still sitting in the garage. I had to walk around the 'ol girl several times before I made the cut into the seat for the Utopia 10 years ago. Guess I'm doing the same thing with the springs. One of these days.......:rolleyes:
To all of you waiting, you'll be sorry you waited so long once you get it in!
The install really isn't that hard, and if ou measure carefully, and than double,triple check, the shims will come out right.
I did mine and I love it!! So hurry up, you don't know what your missing!
just sayin
Hobbit

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally!

All

Attached find the updated pics. We finally got around to installing the gold valves tonight. I can't wait.

As for the install, it's not too difficult, just time consuming. If you have mechnical skill sets of :superman1::superman1::superman1:eek:ut of 5 it will be an easy job. I just watched my buddy do it at his shop.

Seperatly, for those of you who have had tire changes by someone other than you, make sure your forks are not bound by the axel. Everything must be lose before you tighten down, otherwise you'll bind the forks ever so slightly. The bind will wear out your fork seals and oil much quicker than normal and change handling. My left for oil was black and juicy, yet the right was normal oil. Similarly, the fork seals had the same unusual wear.

Bike will be ready tomorrow.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Opps forgot the pics. Clicky on pic for larger image.

Wing 1.jpg

Wing 2.jpg

Wing 3.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its still not done. I'll report later today, hopefully.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bike is still not done. It'll be done on Monday. We encountered a little problem with the rear shock. The top of the shock eyelet was too thick for the mounting bolt. We had to file down the frame mount ever so slightly to get it to fit. It's very, very tight.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked Up the Bike

Well after much anticipation, I finally picked up the cycle today.

Here's my assessment of the suspension:

Low Speed: Can't really tell much of difference at low speed other than the bumps are absorbed much better than stock. Don't get as much feedback in the handlebars when going over bumps. Turning at slow speeds is easier due to the any dive valve being removed.

The bike is slightly taller giving a much longer lean/turning angle. It's actually easier to set up for turns.

Mid Speed: Wobble is gone. The wobble could have been attributable to the forks being slightly twisted due to an improper installation of the front axel. Nevertheless, the wobble is gone entirely.

The suspension absorbs bumps much better. In uneven pavement and pot holes, the suspension does not track the road imperfections or violently take the bumps, thus eliminating the pucker factor when roads change elevation.

I have a Corbin seat rest and I don't get as much gyrating into the back.

Again setting up turns is much easier. The front is more responsive to turning and corners.

High Speed: This is where the suspension shines. The bike stays straight and is easy to set up lean angle in corners. The suspension absorbs stutter bumps much better and almost eliminates them entirely. There's much less negative feedback in the handlebars and the bike is very responsive when turning/cornering.

All together, the bike is a different animal and rides smooth. The stock suspension isn't bad. However, adding the Race Tech makes it easier and much more enjoyable to ride.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
May I inquire as to how much the RaceTech stuff cost, thanks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for the update and ride report :yes1:

I have been considering the Race Tech stuff lately. This may be a good winter project for me...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
May I inquire as to how much the RaceTech stuff cost, thanks.
Front Springs, Gold Valves, and NEW Custom GS (the bad ass one) Rear Shock about $1,300

The complete install $350.00 (on the bike).

PS The rear is a little stiffer and needs very little air pressure from the acuator, but together with the front, it's a great package.

Late,

UNO.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I took the wife on a 400 mile ride to Taos. I can't say enough about the improvement in the ride quality along with the confidence the suspension brings. Again, the best improvement is at highway speeds.

All I can stay is that the bike stays planted under all variable conditions. Even the chicken strips (road crack patches) the bike holds its' line.

In terms of road pavement changes, from smooth to rough grade, the bike transitions excellent even when the suspension is under load in turns. You can hardly tell that there's a change in road condition (unlike the stock suspension). Although the suspension is a little stiffer, overall the wife was also more comfortable.

The only "issue" I have is stopping without the anti-dive, it' gets a little weird when you have a passenger because the bike's momentum stays down on the front forks when stopping. As you come to a complete stop the bike wants to pogo up ever so slightly.

For those of you doubt what suspension brings, you need to ride one with upgraded suspension or just bite the bullet and do it. You'll be impressed---I know I am.

PS. While on the ride we saw 2 2012 Wings.

Clicky for larger image!

457.jpg

458.jpg

461.jpg

470.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump

·
Registered
250 Posts
Turning at slow speeds is easier due to the any dive valve being removed.
Do you usually use your front brake when making slow speed turns? I can't say that I do that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts