GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda sent me a recall notice on my 2020 6 speed.

Does, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", apply here?

I have no problem with my bike's performance. So.....here's a few questions to ponder....

If my ECU had the "defect", should it have manifested itself by now (over 16k miles) and I bought it new in Spring 2021.

Is it likely, or possible the defect could show up later?

If I don't have it "fixed", will that do anything with my 3 year warranty?

Should I have the "fix" done anyway?

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Take it in. It would really suck to have the problem manifest itself during heavy traffic, in a rainstorm, during a cross-traffic left hand turn...

Or - you could treat it like Russian roulette - 5 out of 6 people report no problem.... 😉

·
Registered
2021 GL1800B
263 Posts
I got the notice today too. I haven't had any problems but I'm a firm believer in keeping firmware up to date. I won't make a special trip but the next time Stella is in for service we'll get her updated.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour 6 MT
240 Posts
I got the notice today too. I haven't had any problems but I'm a firm believer in keeping firmware up to date. I won't make a special trip but the next time Stella is in for service we'll get her updated.
Does that make you a soft believer in software? :p

Couldn't resist. I wrote code for a living.....

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll take it in. Now I just need to find a dealer that has done it before. Wouldn't want my dealer "learning" on my pride and joy!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have no problem with my bike's performance. So.....here's a few questions to ponder....

If my ECU had the "defect", should it have manifested itself by now (over 16k miles) and I bought it new in Spring 2021.

Recalls are for your safety and well-being and part of consumer satisfaction.. if it's a programming update then I wouldn't hesitate since it will only benefit you in the long run.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Recalls are blown overboard 50x now in this safetycrats world, so weigh the danger of the potential "safety Hazzard", vs danger of having a perfectly good vehicle ruined forever by taking it in. Probably if only a software problem, it's relatively safe taking in, but most recalls, no way in the world I'm going to let a dealer most likely do irreparable damage.
Reminds me of 3 dead friends. One went in for a colonoscomy, one for water weight gain in the legs, one for a hernia. All 3 dead from "complications". I try to minimize potential complications from not letting anyone fix things unless they are broken. Yes the fact 2,000,000 vehicles were sold and 6 of them had a safety concern is very much in my mind though when I elect to ignore 99% of recalls, but at least my vehicle is still working 100% unlike most after the "fix" is botched.
Sorry, too many botched jobs on needless repairs get me spouting off a little, but why let idiots ruin your motorcycle or car when it is not in need of repair and working fine?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,809 Posts

First off, I'm not sure what kind of an affect NOT getting the recall done, would have on any form of warranty. But, in some states, not getting a recall or TSB done, can hinder a yearly renewal of a registration. Just like some motor vehicle departments will hault a renewal if they find you have no insurance.
And second, like thousands of recalls on zillions of products, cars, trucks, motorcycles and more, it's a BLANKET repair/alteration/adjustment/parts install. Meaning, whatever is to be done, will cover a given range of production, from a given VIN to another given VIN. The manufacturer determines the problem range (VIN to VIN) and then may or may not include units built close outside the early VIN and some built beyond the end VIN.

Not all units withing a VIN to VIN range will always be affected by a potential defect. Some parts are just not susceptible to the fault. But, they have no way of knowing which ones EXACTLY will be affected so, they issue a BLANKET recall. No one want's to willingly allow a dealer (so many of us have at least some amounts of distrust for dealerships) to do surgery on a perfectly operating, highly advanced machine like our Wings. I have no idea what kind of training techs from a dealership go through. I doubt seriously that if Honda sends out a notice of recall to all involved, that they would allow for back-yard trained mechanics to perform the recalls. They (Honda) want the job done and done right.

You've got two ways to go here. One, ignore the recall and hopefully you'll never develop the issue or problem that the recall would address. Two, simply call your most trusted (possibly the closest or, one at a great distance) dealer and make an appointment to clear things up and satisfy any adjustments/alterations/additions etc. that may need to be done and, that will also maybe, (again, it depends on certain legalities) put away any hurdles that may or may not affect annual registrations. Good luck.
Scott

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Let’s see. . .Honda and its army of professional engineers, saying,

“Hey, we’ve found a potential problem. Please bring your bike in and we’ll ll fix it. Free” vs man on the street, saying, “Problem? What problem?”

Who you gonna believe?

Really. Common sense. Potential engine stalling is a safety issue.

Tim

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Remember recalls do not stay open for free repair forever, and the recall stands forever just not free, I have seen this in the auto world the dealer said yes it is under recall but the free part has closed you will have to pay for it now.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,594 Posts
If the bike doesn't stall and have any problem..I don't know if I would deal with the hassel with the dealer...reminds me of the "Product Improvement Campaign" with the 01 to 04 models for the overheat issue that some had. The results were that the engine made a bit less HP after the ECM swap.
My 2003 never had any issue, so I never had the "Product Improvement Campaign " done to my bike.....then years later there was the brake recall with the master cylinder...failures were caused by owners because they didn't flush the brake fluid like you're required too every 2 years...my bike never had a issue because it is maintained, so I never had a issue and I never did the recall. I hate taking my bike to the dealer...so much incompetence at most dealers.

With this 2018, I've fixed a issue with the fairing side pocket not wanting to open with my bike instead of using the warranty because the 80 dollars and my time it cost me was well worth it to me compared to the hassel it is dealing with the dealer and I know the job was done right with no scratches or broken tabs with the plastic.

·
Registered
20,443 Posts
There is no time limit to take it in. I would wait. LOL

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If the bike doesn't stall and have any problem..I don't know if I would deal with the hassel with the dealer...reminds me of the "Product Improvement Campaign" with the 01 to 04 models for the overheat issue that some had. The results were that the engine made a bit less HP after the ECM swap.
My 2003 never had any issue, so I never had the "Product Improvement Campaign " done to my bike.....then years later there was the brake recall with the master cylinder...failures were caused by owners because they didn't flush the brake fluid like you're required too every 2 years...my bike never had a issue because it is maintained, so I never had a issue and I never did the recall. I hate taking my bike to the dealer...so much incompetence at most dealers.

With this 2018, I've fixed a issue with the fairing side pocket not wanting to open with my bike instead of using the warranty because the 80 dollars and my time it cost me was well worth it to me compared to the hassel it is dealing with the dealer and I know the job was done right with no scratches or broken tabs with the plastic.
We’re dealing with software and the ECU. . . consider the innumerable variables that affect engine running (or potential stalling) . . . air temp, oil temp, water temp, gear number, speed, accelerating vs decelerating, bike lean angle, vehicle load, electrical draw. ‘00s of thousands of variables.

And the home diagnosticians think they might never encounter those specific 2, 3, 11 or whatever combination of variables that cause stalling?? They need to give themselves a shake.

This is a SAFETY issue.

Tim

·
Registered
161 Posts
On June 23, 2022, American Honda Motor Company issued a safety recall for all 2020 through 2022 GL1800 Gold Wing motorcycles with manual transmissions, due to an improper ignition timing program. The ECU mapping on the manual transmission bikes may retard timing if the clutch lever is pulled in under certain circumstances, which could stall the engine. This could result in a crash and/or rider injury. DCT bikes are not affected by this recall.

An estimated 1,740 motorcycles in the U.S. are believed to be affected by this recall, according to American Honda. That represents 100 percent of the population. Honda Motor Corporation has been investigating this issue since November, 2020, when it received the first report of stalling under these circumstances from a Japanese-market Gold Wing.

As of June 16, 2022, Honda reports that it has received a total of seven warranty claims related to this issue in the U.S. market. However, the OEM also states that no crashes or injuries have been reported, just stalling issues.

All registered owners of affected Gold Wings will be contacted via mail, informed of the issue, and instructed to take their ‘Wings to their local authorized Honda dealer for recall service. Dealers will then reprogram the ECU with the updated, corrected ignition timing control. This service will be provided free of charge. If any owners have already paid to have such service performed prior to the issuance of this recall, they will be eligible for reimbursement with appropriate documentation.

Honda has issued a stop sale notice for all new and used 2020 through 2022 Gold Wings with manual transmissions until this recall issue can be addressed on those machines. Additionally, Honda adds that the ECU map with proper and corrected ignition timing can be found in all 2023 and newer model year Gold Wings.

Dealers were notified via the Honda Interactive Dealer Network on June 21, 2022. Honda will mail notices to affected owners on August 20, 2022. Owners can contact American Honda Motor Company Customer Service at 1-866-784-1870. Additionally, owners may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

Source: NHTSA
I don't know.... you tell me whether to get the firmware update done.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts