GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tom, a local guy from somewhere in the state, calls asking if I would take in his 5th gen Wing "that's all in pieces, and put it back together." Sure ... of course !!! Tom seemed elated and surprised :)

Here's what he thinks the story is. It was his fathers bike, who'd rode it all over the country and passed away. The Wing was found in a storage unit minus its engine. Tom had tracked the engine down. I believe it was found at an independent shop nearby where they had done a transmission repair. He guesses that father had removed the engine, and taken it there. Tom bailed the engine out of the repair shop, and now needs the Wing put back together.

Here's the scoop ... rarely will a shop ever want to get into the middle of such a mess. To take something like that on takes tremendous knowledge and confidence in knowing how to do what is needed. Most reputable shops would stay far away from such a request. That leaves only hungry shops, who should say 'no', but unfortunately for all, say yes. Often that choice leads to inferior work and a disappointing ending for the customer. Basically he is force to hire the last shop on the block. If the owner doesn't gamble with that option, he's left with a boat anchor in many pieces.

For a success outcome, the mechanic must be an absolute expert in knowing what to do. I explained to Tom what my responsibility would be ... "properly installing what he has, and not being responsible for the results of the engine/transmission repair. If parts are missing, or broken, we'll deal with those things as they come up. When everything is dropped off, I'm often able to spot parts that may be missing. Although I don't often get the opportunity to put together a GW that come packed in boxes, I'm sure I get more then any other shop. When it comes to time management, until I'm done, your Wing will always be the last one that gets attention. But yes ... bring it in, I'll be more then happy to Wing back together so that you can sell it."

I then asked him if he's he has a m/c license ... no, but I ride a scooter often. How old are you ... 31. Well when it comes time to pick it up, it'll be best that you trailer it home, and never ride it. You'll then discover why your dad rode it all over the United States, and you'll then not want to sell it ... I'm just say'n !!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Interesting. Reading your post I thought he would be doing this out of sentimentality and would want to keep the bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts