GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 (about 25K miles), since day 1, has given quite a clunk the first time I drop it into 1st every morning. It didn't seem to matter how long I held the clutch lever in prior to moving the gearshift either. I would almost wince, knowing that first time that it was gonna clunk.

About a week ago, I decided to "pump" the clutch lever 3 or 4 times before shifting into 1st. Viola...no clunk! Since then, I've been dong the same thing every morning. That God awful clunk into 1st seems to be gone :)

I don't know what the mechanical reason might be, other than pumping the clutch repeatedly maybe breaks loose any of the friction plates that may be "stuck"?

I'd be interested to see if anyone else can replicate the phenomenon.

Dean

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My '08 (about 25K miles), since day 1, has given quite a clunk the first time I drop it into 1st every morning. It didn't seem to matter how long I held the clutch lever in prior to moving the gearshift either. I would almost wince, knowing that first time that it was gonna clunk.

About a week ago, I decided to "pump" the clutch lever 3 or 4 times before shifting into 1st. Viola...no clunk! Since then, I've been dong the same thing every morning. That God awful clunk into 1st seems to be gone :)

I don't know what the mechanical reason might be, other than pumping the clutch repeatedly maybe breaks loose any of the friction plates that may be "stuck"?

Dean
Hmmmm 20,000 dollar bike and you have to PUMP it up. Just being sarcastic. Mine did that for some time, from neutral to first was a clunk and even felt like it lurched forward. It went away for about a year; of course my transmission died and now it is fine since the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Try putting it into second gear first if it's stood for a few hours. It worked on all my Jap bikes.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
They all do that.
Put the bike on the center stand, start it up , watch the rear tire rotate until the engine and transmission get warmed up. They all do it. Quite normal.

Pumping the clutch handle simple used the design of the system to force the engine oil though the clutch assembly over and through the plates. A bit before it happens normally.

The wing has an oil assisted clutch, oil from the back of the engine flows into the clutch cover , through an hole, though the pressure plate and assists in locking the clutch. Or hold the plates together if you will. So cold url.....does not release as well as hot url.........gets warm all is cool.

I just always start mine, then put on the jacket, helmet, try to find the garage remote, time I get out the door it is all good.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Dean
dont park it in neutral, leave it in first

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I don't know why, but I have not noticed any 1st gear clunk in a long time. It used to do that. Maybe I am doing something without thinking about it that thwarts the clunk. I don't punp the clutch master. I do have it well bled. I may be putting it into 1st before starting the engine because I don't warm it up at all, I fire it up and away we go. I'll have to pay better attention.

prs

·
Banned
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I was thinking that maybe put in gear before you start it?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
My last two bikes have not done that. I think its because i change the clutch fluid every 2 years and the kind of oil i use. Not going into the kind of oil i use you will have to find that out for yourself.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Something for contrast to the Wing.

My first road bike was a Harley shovel . Almost as old as I was.

That bike had a clutch which was designed in 1937 . . . before my father was born. It was called a dry clutch . . . though there was a bit of oil added to lube the primary chain. Three bolts as I remember. On cold mornings . . . those clutches can be a bit cranky
. . . sort of like . . . stuck . . . or on the verge of sticking.

The shovel/pan was designed without thought to electric start. Such was an after thought . . . stick it on . . . stick it where you can. About as dependable as jury rigging usually is. But, . . . not to worry, . . . there is the kick-starter, . . kick back be damned. . . . Good to have backup.

So . . . on a cold and windy morning, . . . coming down with a bit of a hangover, . . . on the right side of the bike . . . left knee on the seat . . . stomping the kick-start . . . giving her some gas . . . the bitching shovel starts. . . engine roaring . . . and the sorry-ass excuse for a clutch engages on its own . . . . . and . . . and . . . and . . . .

Ain't never gonna do that again . . . never!

Some ole timers say the good ole days are right now.

We have come a ways for sure . . . maybe lost something along the way.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Something for contrast to the Wing.

My first road bike was a Harley shovel . Almost as old as I was.

That bike had a clutch which was designed in 1937 . . . before my father was born. It was called a dry clutch . . . though there was a bit of oil added to lube the primary chain. Three bolts as I remember. On cold mornings . . . those clutches can be a bit cranky
. . . sort of like . . . stuck . . . or on the verge of sticking.

The shovel/pan was designed without thought to electric start. Such was an after thought . . . stick it on . . . stick it where you can. About as dependable as jury rigging usually is. But, . . . not to worry, . . . there is the kick-starter, . . kick back be damned. . . . Good to have backup.

So . . . on a cold and windy morning, . . . coming down with a bit of a hangover, . . . on the right side of the bike . . . left knee on the seat . . . stomping the kick-start . . . giving her some gas . . . the bitching shovel starts. . . engine roaring . . . and the sorry-ass excuse for a clutch engages on its own . . . . . and . . . and . . . and . . . .

Ain't never gonna do that again . . . never!

Some ole timers say the good ole days are right now.

We have come a ways for sure . . . maybe lost something along the way.
Great perspective on todays internet complaint department.

Dry clutches, carburetors, manual chokes, chains, drum brakes, bias ply tires, camel tube patch kits, spokes, broken throttle cables, ....ah, for the good old days.

And your foot slipping off the starter crank on a cold morning.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I have noticed that even a tiny amount of forward motion while shifting into first and the clunk goes away or is greatly lessened.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If you have a wet clutch then you'll get a clunk the first time IF you don't first break the "stiction" of the oil on the plates first and that bike has been sitting for a bit (over night). The colder the oil, the greater this "stiction" and the louder the "CLUNK". Your clutch "pumping" helps to break this "stiction". Here's how I break the "stiction" of the oil on the plates on ALL of my wet clutch bikes.

1. Roll the bike a few inches -
    With bike in first gear, pull in the clutch and roll the bike about 1 foot forward or backward. This will be enough distance to break the "stiction". You'll notice that the bike will move a little (an inch maybe) and then resist you rolling it further. Kinda like you would feel if the bike was in gear and the clutch was released.

You MUST do this with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in. It will not work if the bike is in neutral.
  2. Start the bike and go -
    The first time you place the bike in gear will not result in that loud "clunk" since you've already broken the plates free by rolling it.
This is quite normal behavior from a vehicle with a wet clutch.

Dean

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to add in the original post that the 1st-gear clunk/lurch happens even after a thorough bleed. I have a Speedbleeder on the slave and bleed until no more bubbles.

I also routinely lube the lever pivot and the pin/cup in the master.

Dean

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I has the same issue with my 2007 when it got back from the shop following a frame replacement, due to a bad accident.

Prior to the accident, there was a clunk when going into gear but the degree of "clunk" increased dramatically after the accident.

The clutch system was bled and the clunk immediately returned to normal.

Yes, they all do it, but it is a matter of degree. An excessive clunk and the ability to eliminate it by pumping the clutch lever point to air in the clutch hydraulics.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts