GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on '08 I bought last June with 2900 miles on it. It had the original Dunlop D250 on it. I now have 9500 miles on the tire and it is every bit as bad as has been reported.

I currently put about 135K miles on Goldwings and many many more on others. I have never had a tire as bad as this one. It has always been at 41psi. Most of the miles are two up near max GVRW as have most miles I have ever done on a wing. No trailer.

I left on the weekend trip to the mountains of Western NC with a decent looking tire with plenty of tread and it only made a bit of noise in the corners due to uneven wear.

After 850 miles this weekend, it looks like this... I should have just replaced it prior to the weekend trip. As soon as the tire starts making noise on corners, I usually get a new set of tires just for the pleasure of new tires anyway. Bad decision. Bad bad bad.

And NO, it did NOT blow out. But I sure did come close... I had stopped to look at the tire on the center stand only 25 miles before home and it was still looking weird, but no delamination. This happened in the last 25 miles and I didn't even know it was like this until I was taking off the wheel to put on the new tires today. Made me sick to my stomach to think of my wife flung down the interstate at 70mph.

Be careful out there and change your tires before they get too bad.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Pretty scary indeed!!

It would appear as though you have a combination of improper air pressure and imbalancing causing the tire to wear like that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. Always perfect at 41 psi. And the balance will not give a pattern all the way around the entire circumference.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
No. Always perfect at 41 psi. And the balance will not give a pattern all the way around the entire circumference.
So what would you attribute the cupping and feathering to? Obviously something isn't right. When you say "perfect 41" ... how do you arrive at the 41? Is that recommended by the tire mfg or by Honda? Have you tried a different psi ?

Just tryin to help.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Whoa! Thats spooky. Glad you guys got home safely.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
41psi was Dunlop's recommendation for that tire on that bike at that load.

My recommendation is to use a different tire... And I'm doing just that this afternoon.

I have gone through 13 sets of tires on Goldwings. Never had any wear similar to this tire. But then again, I never had a D250 on one either.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thanks for the photo. Very glad you all are safe. :congrats:

Looks like termites to me.

Kit

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Something tells me the tire had more than 2900 miles on it when you bought it. I am glad you made it home.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Glad you made it home okay. From the look's of it all, it could have been a lot worse. I recently changed the Bridgestones on my bike and they both had cupping just like the 2nd pic show's. They were on the bike when I bought it. And i put 9500 mile's on them. I know several here have gotten better. But it seem's like decent mileage to me, since most was 2 up pulling a camper. It's still better mileage than I've gotten on other bike's. I went back with the Stone's.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Now that is just ugly!!

Delamination . . . maybe?

I also have been lucky . . . at times . . . when I have done something stupid.

Enjoy the new tires!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New E3's on the bike now.

Great sale on them at DLP.

Delivered in 4 days from order.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Maybe you could sell it back to Dunlop so they could advertise it as an example of how well their tires hold together, even with this much damage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny, but I really don't think that picture would help sales much.

And, to all the Darksiders, thanks for not preaching to me on this one...

·
Registered
229 Posts

Agreed! Wasn't the D250 an production fit for the early 1800s? I got one with a rear wheel take-off back in 05. That tire was several years old and noticeable aged but plenty of tread so I wore that off in a short time.
FYI: Ran one E3 on the rear and was not all that happy with wet pavement grip. Recommend you tread slowly, at least to start.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had a D250 do that at 15,000 mi on our border trip. Mine was worse showed wire 3/4 of the way around the tire. We were loaded on this trip and pulling a camper that wheighed 1200 #. I noticed it near the Ga./Fl. line and had to ride on to Jacksonville to get a new one, not fun with the rear end squirming around for thoes last few miles @ 50 mph. The front was an E-3 and was still in good shape.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts

Heh, no problem! We Darksiders know you've probably installed a RF car tire & TPMS already! :joke: Smartest move, ever!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
A very insightful member of this board told me once "If you think you might need new tires......you do......get them."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts