GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy's...I went out first thing this AM and tried again to open it...flushed it again with wd-40...no luck.

I was about to leave for the dealership and decided to try "one more time"...(told you I don't like to give up)...wiggled the key back and forth again...applied some outward pressure on the lock-end...did this for about a minute and poof...!!!! off it came.

Didn't do anything different than what I had been doing...guess enough of the wd-40 got to the right place...or the pressure from the squirt tube moved something around just enough.

I sure am glad it came off...saved me a lot of work...I am going to leave it soaking in oil until I get back from the trip south...then I will decide if I want to continue to use it....

Again...thanks for your input...!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Traveler.

You sure you want to use that lock again, even if it does work after soaking a few months?

I would either replace it with a new one, or another type lock.

If it was broke, and you didn't fix it, it probably is still broke.

All the best

Bulldog

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bulldog....thought I would see what it looked like after it soaked for 5-6 weeks in oil. If it works smoothly...might give it another chance...I will just be sure and lube it good with some grease and tape the key hole "good" with electric tape. That little black rubber cover that came with it might have lasted 15 minutes...

Wingman Yuuup...!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I might have another one for you to get undone. Now you have me wondering if mine is going to be the same way.

Let us know what you decide and how things turn out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You didn't mention if you kept the dust cover on or off the locking mechanism. I would suspect that if you lost or neglected to put the dust cover on, the rersult would be a jammed lock. On the other hand if it jammed after having been covered, perhaps periodic drops of graphite to the locks interior lubed might be a good idea. A friend had a similar problem and it was result of using the trailer with out the dust cover on the locking portion. The result was that road dirt, dust, etc. worked its way into the lock and caused a jam. DANDY

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I replaced that lock after my first trip, or shortly thereafter. JD

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just removed mine tonight after about 45,000 miles, the dust cover was still intact and the lock came off (fairly) easy. No WD-40, no ChemTool, no hammer, just the key and a few minutes of fiddling with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dandy wrote: You didn't mention if you kept the dust cover on or off the locking mechanism.

As I mentioned in the above post...the little rubber dust cover might have lasted 15 minutes...it was "missing in action" the first time I looked at it after the first ride with the hitch inserted into the receiver.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Traveler............Without the lock cover, the tumblers are exposed not only to moisture but all the corrosives from the road surface. If you need another cap, call the factory (423-562-9900) and we will see that you get one. Contrary to what has been stated on this board, the pin lock we supply is a very high quality device, however no lock placed under the bike will live a long healthy life due to exposure unless it has protection. Regards,

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I've had my Bushtec hitch (with lock) on my 1800 for almost 3 years..........I was one of the first to get the hitch from John.

I have no problems with mine..........the lock comes off really easy. Two reasons.............first make sure the rubber cap is on (never had a problem as long as you make sure it's securely attached to begin with) and second install a mudflap! With the lock and hitch mechanism behinde the mudflap all the crap from the road is knocked down before it hits the hitch and lock mechanism.

BTW - My reciever and lock are on the bike 100% of the time, no matter if I'm pulling a trailer or not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear ya Brian....I plan to make sure the key hole is covered next time I install the hitch...that's for certain.

I've known John & Andy Preston for a long time...been to the factory several times...they are good folks. I would guess that if those of us who have had problem's with this lock make them aware of the problem...they would look into it.

I like to drop the hitch when not towing the camper.

I don't care for the mud flap though (just personal opinion)...never liked squirrel tail's either :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts