GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set my Nav to go home address and when I got to my house, it said I had another 100 feet to go until I reach my destination.
How accurate is it?
I apologize if this has been discussed before, search did not come up with anything. :cool:

·
Registered
362 Posts
If the problem is consistent, I would do a system reset or reload the address.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have home set in my driveway and it will bring me right here. However if I put my house address in it will take me down the street. For the most part it's accurate.

My take is the GPS is accurate but the data in it isn't.

·
Registered
814 Posts
IF I set mine by address it is 1000ft off. If by location when I'm in my garage it is spot on. When I talked to grmin they said addresses are calculated by a formula and not actual loction.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can usually recognize my house from 100 ft.

Last year I visited Seattle and my GPS took me through the SR99 Tunnel. Its 2 miles long and I got half way through when the GPS tells me "Make a U Turn". I go through the tunnel and another 2 miles to find a place to turn. Halfway through Northbound, my GPS says "Make a U Turn". So another 3 miles I turn. GPS puts me back through tunnel Southbound, 2 miles "Make a U Turn" . Back through tunnel. Finally, I saw a pedestrian and asked where's Pikes Place? " Just go down the road but don't turn where the sign says SR99. GPS turned off for a few minutes.
G.

·
Registered
521 Posts
GPS databases may include data derived from maps that may or may not be accurate to a few or many feet. In other words Honda didn't go out and check the location of your house against the available data base.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I set my Nav to go home address and when I got to my house, it said I had another 100 feet to go until I reach my destination.
How accurate is it?
I apologize if this has been discussed before, search did not come up with anything. :cool:
It seems to be off by about 100 feet.

Though, as mentioned throughout, there are two sources of error. One is accuracy in the GPS reading, which is probably small (<10 or 20 feet) and variable. The other is mis-attribution of the street address to the lat-long of a point on the ground, which should be consistent for that set of base maps and points of interest, but may change if/when you update.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It seems to be off by about 100 feet.

Though, as mentioned throughout, there are two sources of error. One is accuracy in the GPS reading, which is probably small (<10 or 20 feet) and variable. The other is mis-attribution of the street address to the lat-long of a point on the ground, which should be consistent for that set of base maps and points of interest, but may change if/when you update.
That's why my Fed Ex, UPS packages get delivered to my neighbor all the time. They don't read the house numbers, just the location...:)

·
Registered
564 Posts
my bike does not have NAVI, so I use a Garmin 2797.
My address is about 100 feet west of my driveway, so when I set up 'Home' on the GPS itself, I just parked at the entrance to the driveway, zoomed in as tight as the GPS will go, then marked that location as home.

works perfect now, it announces my drive at about 100 feet before I get there.

My daughter though, is paranoid, she sets HOME as the local Police Dept's address :)

I use HOME a lot when in strange areas of Tulsa, OK.... the one ways are designed to trap you into darker areas that a fair skinned boy should not be found in. We are fast approaching the #1 murder rate for the USA, it is plumb scary around here now.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Here are a couple possibilities

1. Latency; if you stay 100 feet from home for a few minutes does it ever figure out a closer locaiton
2. Address is uploaded incorrectly (not by you but a registry of several address loaded by someone else)

Generally GPS in and of itself is very accurate. Give it a specific location (log/lat down to seconds, or MGRS/USNG coordinates with ten numbers and you will be very close within one meter). I know the GPS equipment we have at work can measure walking speed or within one meter (as previously mentioned). Then again this is miltary spec equipment. FWIW we are launching the GPS III satellites now which will improve both the civilian sector and military sector significantly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
How accurate is it?
Mine is the same - gets me home but about 100 feet before I arrive there.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts