GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to update GPS. Looking at SPIII Deluxe and 2610. Any input on
ether item as to ease of use, readability on bike, amount of data held and
general user rating would be appreciated. I have a GPSIII+ now and want to move up to a unit with voice routing to eliminate looking down at GPS while riding.

G

·
My first GPS was the GPS-III+, I then switched to the GPS-V a couple years ago. A few weeks ago I got the 2610 because I was ready for color and a bigger screen. I really thought voice prompts were sort of a novelty thing, but I've changed my mind. It sure comes in handy when you don't have time to look at the screen!

Readability -- the 2610 screen is an improvement over the SP-III, readable even in sunlight.

Ease of use -- the 2610 is quite intuitive to use. No more cursoring around with the rocker panel, just touch the screen to select appropriate choices. Especially nice to type in location by touching the letters instead of spinning through the alphabet for each letter. It may be difficult to operate some functions with gloves on. The screen will respond to nearly any touch, but sometimes you need to touch just the right spot, and thick gloves would make that tough.

Amount of data held -- no comparison. The 2610 uses standard CompactFlash cards instead of the proprietary Garmin cards for the SP-III. It comes with a 128MB card, but I promptly bought a 2GB card and I now have the entire North American City Navigator disk loaded. I never have to pick and choose which maps to load again.

The 2610 is blazing fast too. Which is probably why it can't run portable on batteries, the processor would probably suck batteries dry too quickly.

Having said all that, there are some pretty sweet deals out there on the SP-III deluxe.

G

·
I have a SP3 amd absolutely love it. But, if I were buying new, today, for all the reasons Kerry listed (especially the 2610's ability to handle standard CompactFlash cards), I'd get the 2610.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
OK y'all upgrading to the 2160, I'm waiting for those great deals on y'all's used SPIIIs to start popping up on the classified board!! :D

·
Registered
833 Posts
I like my SP3 but like the others if buying new I would go with the 2610..... Rob :sw1:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Hey Topster, how's your Mic-Mutes work'n out for ya ?

Have you seen info added to our web site on complimenting a talking GPS, radar detector or cellphone interface with your Mic-Mutes ? Get in touch if you want specific interface model #s from the 3 manufacturers which will and won't work. I've compiled a list that I'll e-mail.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just ordered the 2610 and while I've read a lot of posts regarding the Compact Flash, my question is what size is really needed? I know it comes with 128 and can hold up to 2g, but really, what size is needed to handle a good bit of information? Anyone given this some thought?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I just bought the 2610. I loaded all of CA. & it used 124 MB of the 128.
That's enough map for my short rides. When I find the lowest price for the 512 MB card, I'll order it for my longer rides......GREAT unit....

Also, you can just load parts of a few states..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks Eagle Eye - I was thinking a 512 would be enough. They're not too badly priced. My favorite computer supply has them going between $100 and $112 depending on brand. I was hoping that would take care of the lengthier rides.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Toisich said:
Thanks Eagle Eye - I was thinking a 512 would be enough. They're not too badly priced. My favorite computer supply has them going between $100 and $112 depending on brand. I was hoping that would take care of the lengthier rides.
www.ecost.com has the 512mb for $104.95 + a $13 rebate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
the 2610.... is not water resistant like the Streetpilot III. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is interesting news. I read elsewhere that it wasn't rated as water resistant. Where did you get your information? I was leaning toward the SP III only because it was rated water resistant. Of course, the 2610 would be a better selection - all things being equal.

Thanks for the scoop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
SP III and 2610 are both waterproof to the same IPX7 standar

"This is interesting news. I read elsewhere that it wasn't rated as water resistant. Where did you get your information? I was leaning toward the SP III only because it was rated water resistant. Of course, the 2610 would be a better selection - all things being equal."
Garmin web-site, under product comparison chart shows both units waterproof to the same IPX7 standard.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Check the Garmin site and do a comparison of the SPIII and the 2610
and you will find:

StreetPilot III GPS - IPX7
StreetPilot 2610/2650 GPS - IPX7 with Compact/Flash Door Closed

DaleC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts