GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my mind set on a Garmin 2720, but now have been looking at the iway 500. I like the bigger screen and mp3 capability.

This part is for Jon or anybody that knows. Do you make a dash mount for it and is there a Kennedy set up to tie it in to the 1800's audio? Can you program routes on the PC and transfer them to the iway?

Am I making a bad decision? Should I stay with the 2720? I know that some of you have these units and I was looking for pro and cons on both>

Thanks in advance.

Fred H.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Jon does make a dashmount for the iWay.

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/GL1800_iWay_mounts.htm

Jon also has bundled packages with every thing you need to install the iWay on the GL1800 and integrate the music and voice prompts.

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/iWay_bundle.htm

The iWay does not come with mapping software for the computer. Routes can be generated using mapping software such as MS Streets & Trips. The associated way points can then be downloaded to the iWay using a GPS utility program. The iWay will then calculate the route using the downloaded way points. So in effect, you are still able to generate routes on the computer if you wish. Many iWay users find that it is just as easy to generate routes on the unit instead of using the computer at all.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The display on the iWay really does separate it from the rest of the pack. It's not as crisp as the GPSMap family, but is better than the StreetPilots.

Yes, I have a dash mount for the iWay.

You don't need any Kennedy gear to connect the audio to the AUX input unless you want to have the capability to add another music source in the future.

If it's your only music source, all you'll probably need is a GLI filter. The unit ships with a 'bare wire' power cable that includes a 1/8" stereo output jack that will plug right into the AUX input plug under the pocket (typically with the GLI filter plugged inline).

It's very easy to plan a route on the unit itself, but I also use MS Streets & Trips to plan routes on the PC and a free program called 'GPSUtility' to convert it to an iWay compatible format and save it to the GPS via the USB cable. (Just like the Garmins do)

The new 600c will have a display with twice the resolution of the current version (actually, it'll be first GPS with a VGA-resolution screen) but will only include 5GB of disk space for music and files.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.

Jon, can you update the stored maps info when a new version comes out or are yiu stuck with whats pre loaded? I looked on your site and I'm guessing that I'll need a Kennedy device because I will also be using a XM unit. Also what are your CUSTOM SKIN FILES?

Thanks for all your time

Fred H

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No, the maps can be updated as often as you see fit - the last upgrade included updated road maps, POI data and detailed charts for both inland (Lakes) and off-shore marine use as well.

The skin files give you an opportunity to customize the unit to look and operate how you like it, not necessarily how the manufacturer forces you to. You can view some examples at this link and this link has some interactive elements to it (they work best with Internet Explorer)

The Kennedy AuxSwitchSet2 system will let you share the AUX input between two sources and will intelligently switch between whichever device is playing/speaking at that time. The XM will be connected to the 'Secondary' input and the iWay to the 'Primary' input - this way, when the GPS speaks, it will be heard and then switch back to the XM a few seconds after it is done speaking. If you want to listen to the MP3 player, it switches automatically when the music starts playing.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I have a Garmin 2720 and like it very much...I also have a 07 with Honda NAV.

If I were to buy one today, not needing MP3 player, I would still go with the 2720..

The IWay is nice but way too many people here have had problems with the IWay, ask Lamont....

But that's my opinon....

·
Registered
227 Posts
KYBLUE said:
The IWay is nice but way too many people here have had problems with the IWay, ask Lamont....
Actually, less than a handful (Lamont, Doug and a couple of others) have had repeated problems. Some may say that is too many.

I love my trouble free iWay and prefer to say that way too many people haven't had problems with the iWay. Just my humble opinion.

Bill

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
you're right Bill

I've never owned one, so I'd be better to keep my mouth shut about the Iway, sorry.

As for the Garmin 2720, I have one and like it...but that's me.

GPS choices....kinda like which tire to run, oil to use..car to buy....whatever floats your boat...look around and see what chatches you eye and looks the best to you, ease of use ETC....

Good luck with which unit you go with.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Actually I have had my iWay500 for over 18 months. Used it on my wing and in the car. The only problem I had was the 115VAC converter to 12VDC and they replaced it right away.

I love the MP3 player but am trying to figure out a better way of arranging the songs. You can generate playlists from Real Player and download them to the iWay and it recognizes the lists and plays the songs.

Not trying to say it's the best, but I do not regret buying it at all!

FF

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I was thinking of the 2720, then came the 2820 into the picture. So I said, ok. Then The Zumo showed itself. I am probably going to go with the Zumo, as it does have a battery and control buttons on the left side. So unless somethign changes my mind back, Zumo is the one for me. I want to speak to Jon directly, but our phone calls have not called paths yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts