GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a comparison chart anywhere, comparing features, reliability etc etc from brand to brand.

Example a Tom Tom 910 to A Garmin 2720, whether its mini drive , solid state etc.

I was reading another post on the subject "2720" and Jon said the Garmin 2720 was solid state on the board and an Ad when I did a google search said hard drive. I am going to buy a GPS, just can't seem to get a handle on the whole thing.

Everybody has a preference from Garmin, to I Lowerance to Tom Tom etc, I know that.

I need a good size screen, be able to do the Kennedy set, both car and bike, minimal issues and good customer service without having to auction my second born to do it

·
Registered
490 Posts
I hope someone comes to your aid.. Im in the same boat. I am looking at the Garmin c320. its in my price range and has a 3.5 inch screen. good luck..

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I started that at one time but gave up - too much info to try to document and keep on top of.

Reliability is subjective - the iWay has had a notorious track record because all of their failures have been so publicly aired. Garmin's StreetPilot units have had a number of failures as well, but they're not typically publicized like the iWay units.

BTW, the 2720 uses solid-state memory, no hard drive.

One recommendation I will give you is to not consider a non-weatherproof unit for use on the bike. (like the Garmin 'c' or 'i' series units).

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
JimRo said:
I need a good size screen, be able to do the Kennedy set, both car and bike, minimal issues and good customer service without having to auction my second born to do it
Based on your requirements...
The Garmin 276C is my first choice. Reasonable screen size that is readable in any light.
The Lowrance iWay 500c is my second choice. Nice big screen and much easier to use than the Garmin, but unreliable. In concept, it's great. In functionality...well I think it's not the one to get.

And just exactly how much are folks getting for their second born these days? Any GPS with a decent screen and good routing ability will cost you more than $500. So, what are you willing to pay?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I don't mind $500.0 plus, but 1100.00 little more than i want to fund, LOL

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I'm not in the GPS Guru class, but the Garmin 2720 does all that I could ask of it....now I have the built in Nav system on the 07, but I'll keep my 2720 for back up and to use in the other vehicles....

I didn't need MP3 player or XM, so the 2720 is great for me...

The Iway just has too many issues right now, and I don't know about the Zumo...

The Garmin 276,376,476 units look great, nice size screen, but pricey.....

How fast do you want to go????How much do you want to spend?????

How much GPS use do you need????? Most here would be happy with the 2720....

just my .02

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
They just dropped the price a bit on the 2720, so it might be on the way out... they did this with the 2610, as well.

Maybe they feel that the 2730 will be the entry-level unit and the Zumo will be sufficient for the M/C riders?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
JimRo said:
Jon,
How about a 7200 big screen, no blue tooth, thats ok, would it work on the bike
Probably, if you don't mind hanging a non-weatherproof, $950 unit on the bike...

·
Registered
21 Posts
SAVE YOUR MONEY.
BUY AN iWAY 500 OR IF YOU WANT A DUEL PURPOSE MACHINE, BUY THE iWAY 600. THIS UNIT CAN BE RUN USING LON. & LAT FOR WAY POINTS.
THE 500 IS SELLING ON LINE FOR UNDER $500.00.
THIS IS A UNIT WITH A 20 meg HARD DRIVE USING 10meg FOR IT'S MP3 BUILT IN PLAYER. UP GRADES ARE FREEFROM LOWRANCE.
EITHER BY DOWNLOAD OR BY REQUESTING A CD.
WARENTEED FOR ONE YEAR. THEY ALSO PAY RETURN POSTAGE IF UNIT NEEDS TO BE RETURNED.

RACER :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
MAP SOURCE WITH GARMIN FROM ALL USERS IN OUR CHAPTER ARE WHAT ARE GIVING THEM TROUBLE. CAN'T FIND THINGS WHEN ADDRESS ARE ENTERED.
CHECK OUT THE UP-GRADE COSTS!!!!!!!!!!
RACER

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I think you're mis-informed, 'Racer'. MapSource works fine for address searches - maybe your chapter needs some education? MapSource program upgrades are free, as are the GPS firmware upgrades.

Map upgrades are $75 - the same as charged by Lowrance (for units over 6 months old).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts