GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well isn't this special.

Just made my very first route with the new Honda Trip Planner software ( http://tripplanner.honda.com/ ) and loaded it on the SD card for my 2012 Wing and imported it into the GPS and activated it. It was a short 10 mile long route with about 4 waypoints. As soon as I made a wrong turn and the GPS said "Recalculating", it crashed and rebooted, which then presents you yet again with the disclaimer screen that you can't acknowledge without stopping. Over the course of the 10 mile route, it crashed 4 times.

So this all new wonderful feature that Honda is advertising to sell new bikes doesn't even work. If you're chomping at the bit to buy a 2012 so you can load routes into your GPS, I'd suggest you rethink your plans.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,631 Posts
Thanks for the info Fred. I think I will stick with my Zumo.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wow. I'm glad my 2010 doesn't have that great new feature!
Hopefully it's just a glitch that they'll straighten out ASAP!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've got the 2011 failed update in my 2008. I haven't tried to route with mine otherbthan go to Home, but it's crapped out twice on the last two rides, and like you Fred, I couldn't hit the 'ENT' until I came to a stop.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey Fred

My iWay600 still works perfectly!!!!!! Well, as long as there are no new roads.:p

·
Registered
513 Posts
Fred,

What capacity is the SD card you used in the Honda GPS? ( in GB's)
Also what is the read/write speed that is listed on the card itself?
Is this the stock SD card that comes with the factory GPS,,from mother Honda?

BC

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
So it works just like my 1490, except I can just let it keep rebooting. On the positive side Garmin is paying to ship it back to them and sending me a new one.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Hey Fred

on another tread I saw that crashes could be caused by dirty contacts on the unit Pull it out and clean the contacts and see what happens

·
Love The DCT
12,183 Posts
Hey Fred

on another tread I saw that crashes could be caused by dirty contacts on the unit Pull it out and clean the contacts and see what happens
I would not expect to see dirty contacts on a brand new motorcycle. :doorag:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
And pulling it out and cleaning it is a tough thing to do in the middle of the trip...on a 2012 or anything else

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Well isn't this special.

Just made my very first route with the new Honda Trip Planner software ( http://tripplanner.honda.com/ ) I clicked on this link and saw that the tripplanner is a "BETA" release. and loaded it on the SD card for my 2012 Wing and imported it into the GPS and activated it. It was a short 10 mile long route with about 4 waypoints. As soon as I made a wrong turn and the GPS said "Recalculating", it crashed and rebooted, which then presents you yet again with the disclaimer screen that you can't acknowledge without stopping. Over the course of the 10 mile route, it crashed 4 times.

So this all new wonderful feature that Honda is advertising to sell new bikes doesn't even work. If you're chomping at the bit to buy a 2012 so you can load routes into your GPS, I'd suggest you rethink your plans.
Maybe we are supposed to tell Honda about the bugs that we find or let the dealer tell them.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
I would not expect to see dirty contacts on a brand new motorcycle. :doorag:
from the 2012 forum page 2 apparently this is an issue with the 2012's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINSTAR
Rode 300 miles today and experienced no nav crashes. It appears cleaning the contacts may have fixed the problem. Ran into some detours that deviated from the plan route. The nav system recalculated and provided a way around the detour without a crash. Looking good!

As much as I would like to agree that cleaning the contact points does anything I am afraid it doesn't. Honda has swapped out the entire GPS 3 times now and it still crashes. Another machine I know of had his swapped out once... still crashes. That doesn't include new SD chips sent by Honda that also didn't do anything.

I am willing to bet if you set a via point "off road" it will crash when you go off route. The last "guess" that Honda has offered up is that it is a "regional issue" as it seems those from the west coast are not having issues. Which kind of jives with one bike that I know of that had the GPS crash when he drove from the Central time zone into the Mountain time zone. (It crashed on the way back too)... exact same place... right on the time zone line.

Mine crashed this past week when I loaded in just an address. This "route" worked many time before with no issues. This time there was "rain in the area"... and it crashed when it recalculated. So the issue isn't limited to just the "off road" issue. But the off road thing is part of it.

Sad really...
1 Week Ago #41

A little contact cleaner on the nav card fixed mine. No crashes or resets in 700 miles so far. This was Honda suggestion to the dealer to fix mine which was crashing just about every ride.

Attachments

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The SD card is the stock one Honda supplied. Contacts are clean. It doesn't have anything to do with dirty contacts. It is a software bug, and it is very repeatable. Every time the GPS tries to "recalculate" the route it crashes. No amount of cleaning the contacts or replacing the GPS is going to fix it. It is a bug in the firmware, and the only way to resolve it will be to find the bug in the code that is crashing the processor and fix it.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Yeah, that would piss me off as it's one of the things that really annoys me about my 09 nav.

But until Honda awakes from the dead and fixes a few other things, I'm not going to spend my money to upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
But, but, it's such a pretty color........:oops:
LOL! Well, you can paint a turd any color you like - it's still a turd. ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think the fix is simple....don't make a wrong turn :coffee1::wrong:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
This thread makes me wonder if Garmin is experiencing some quality control issues with their programmers.

Months ago we heard that Garmin was offering a software upgrade for the OEM navigation systems in earlier GWs and many of us immediately ordered the $100 software upgrade. Within a day or two we learned that Garmin had found problems with it and did not ship.

Based on the fact that Garmin appears to be struggling to get the software upgrade corrected and now this report about problems with the navigation unit in the 2012s I think I'm going to email Garmin and tell them to forget it. I'll wait a year or two to allow them plenty of time to recall and correct the new programming. My OEM gps works fine as it is. I don't want to enter a program update and render it inoperative. I occasionally miss a turn!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I thought the map update from Garmin for the Wing was only troubled for the '06-'08 models. The '09-'10 version (SD card) worked fine....at least it has been working fine on my bike after several trips using it.

The crashing of the 2012 is worrisome. At least with the map update, Garmin acknowledged the issue very quickly and is correcting it. Any word from Honda about fixing the 2012 GPS crashes?

This thread makes me wonder if Garmin is experiencing some quality control issues with their programmers.

Months ago we heard that Garmin was offering a software upgrade for the OEM navigation systems in earlier GWs and many of us immediately ordered the $100 software upgrade. Within a day or two we learned that Garmin had found problems with it and did not ship.

Based on the fact that Garmin appears to be struggling to get the software upgrade corrected and now this report about problems with the navigation unit in the 2012s I think I'm going to email Garmin and tell them to forget it. I'll wait a year or two to allow them plenty of time to recall and correct the new programming. My OEM gps works fine as it is. I don't want to enter a program update and render it inoperative. I occasionally miss a turn!

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The crashing of the 2012 is worrisome. At least with the map update, Garmin acknowledged the issue very quickly and is correcting it. Any word from Honda about fixing the 2012 GPS crashes?
I'll be calling the dealership and Honda Customer Service today, and probably Garmin too. I'll let you know what I find out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts