GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing that there is so little information about the GPS in the new 2018 Wing, given the complaints about the pre-2018 system. I hope the system is NOT the one we have in our Accord! For me, other than there will be free map updates for 10 years, there are a lot of questions still left unanswered, some of which are:

1) Who will make the GPS? Honda, Garmin or some other vendor?
2) How will routes, maps, upgrades, tracks be loaded?
3) At what level will the GPS integrate with the hand controls?
4) Will the GPS be removable (e.g. K1600 system)?
5) How clear will the screen be in daylight, full sun?

There is nothing to speak of in the Users Manual, although there is usually a separate booklet for the GPS when manufactured by an outside vendor (e.g. Garmin). Is there information out there that I may have missed?

· Registered
713 Posts
I believe it is made by Harman Kardon.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
The GPS??
I believe it is made by Harman Kardon.
Do you have a source for that info?

Harman Kardon dabbled with gps ten years ago but I can't find anything recent from them..
.. i could be mistaken but thought they gave up GPS products.

Dennis

· Registered
713 Posts
The GPS??

Harman Kardon dabbled with gps ten years ago but I can't find anything recent from them..

Dennis
It was on the 2018 Canadain intro launch. He said it was a harman system.

Reactions: cycledude

· Registered
383 Posts
In this video the presenter said Harman when talking about the GPS (at 2:35 into it), when I originally watched it I thought he had mispronounced "Garmin", but the subtitles say "Harman".

Edited to Harman

Reactions: jfink

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Thanks for info and link
:bow::bow:

Yes, in the video he sure does say "Harmon" navigation..
...but I'm willing to bet he wishes he could take that back.
:) :)

Nothing found for any GPS if I search on the Harmon Kardon web site.

..and nothing much newer than 2007 for a general Google search.

If they are the 1833 GPS provider, they've done a better job than Honda of plugging the leaks..
..lol..

Den

Edit...wag...maybe the speakers or aftermarket amp?

· Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for info and link
:bow::bow:

Yes, in the video he sure does say "Harmon" navigation..
...but I'm willing to bet he wishes he could take that back.
:) :)

Nothing found for any GPS if I search on the Harmon Kardon web site.

..and nothing much newer than 2007 for a general Google search.

If they are the 1833 GPS provider, they've done a better job than Honda of plugging the leaks..
..lol..

Den

Edit...wag...maybe the speakers or aftermarket amp?
Yeah, that may be it. He may have meant Harman ... and a navigation system, not meaning a Harman Navigation system. Everything I found Harman Kardon makes lots of high end Audio equipment but I could not find any recent references to a Harman Kardon GPS. If they just jumped back into the market, it would be a little concerning.

Thanks for posting the video, Thewit! It is encouraging that in the video, the dash still has that pop-up looking door behind the windshield that has me thinking the unit may be removable.

· Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wait a minute, perhaps we were thrown off by the Harman Kardon. I searched for just Harman Navigation System and found this >>>LINK<<<. It's a Samsung company, specializing in Intelligent Navigation. That would make more sense given the connection to a Japanese production. If you search Harman Navigation, there are a lot of references and material, including some good YouTube videos about what Harman believes their role is in the "Connected Car".

This may be a signal that Honda, like many of us, is fed-up with Garmin's approach to navigation systems.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Wait a minute, perhaps we were thrown off by the Harman Kardon. I searched for just Harman Navigation System and found this >>>LINK<<<. It's a Samsung company, specializing in Intelligent Navigation. That would make more sense given the connection to a Japanese production.

This may be a signal that Honda, like many of us, is fed-up with Garmin's approach to navigation systems.
..WHOA.. THAT'S A GAME CHANGER..

..NICE CATCH..!!
:bow:

(haha, now it will be wingwing who will be wishing he could take that back..lol)

well back to search mode for me..see what this "Harman Navigation" is about.

Thanks again!!

Den

· Administrator
9,603 Posts
The GPS??

Dennis
I saw an overview video where the guy referred to it as a "Harman" GPS... I thought he just mispronounced Garmin. But maybe not. Harman-Kardon made a lot of nice computer speakers in the 90s and 2000s. I don't know of anything else they made. Hopefully it's a nice GPS.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the whole thread before posting. Oh well... not the first to do that. :)

· Registered
713 Posts
Wait a minute, perhaps we were thrown off by the Harman Kardon. I searched for just Harman Navigation System and found this >>>LINK<<<. It's a Samsung company, specializing in Intelligent Navigation. That would make more sense given the connection to a Japanese production. If you search Harman Navigation, there are a lot of references and material, including some good YouTube videos about what Harman believes their role is in the "Connected Car".

Samsung purchased it for 8 billion. They sound like they make some pretty sophisticated integrated car systems. I would like to see the owners manual. That would answer a lot of questions.

· Chard Member
13,488 Posts
The GPS??

Dennis

Don't know who builds the 2018 Honda unit but they have built Harley stuff for years. I don’t know if Harman ind is part of Harman-Kardon, but I would think it is.

I doubt a Japanese company would use a U. S. Company for electronics. I know a company in Ky assembled the 1800 cb, but the Wing was assembled in Ohio then.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Guess if I had a HD I'd know more..lol.

actually I don't know much more yet

..gut feeling is we are talking two different companies..
Harman Kardon ...audio stuff since way back.
and
Harman Navigation
...every aspect of automotive infotainment, plus the network "manager" to integrate and secure all the various systems.

. From their website:"Telematics" ..
"...embedded infotainment solutions offer complete information, entertainment and communications capabilities...
HARMAN offers 3D and augmented navigation, multimedia support and smart apps for device integration, high speed connectivity, intuitive and multi-modal user interfaces, and a new generation of automotive cloud services
."

Their other link for Harman Navigation talks about high end GPS AI issues but I don't see any real (tangible) systems information..also can't find any announcements anywhere..imo, if Honda just dumped Garmin and now uses Harman hardware, there would be lots of big news chatter about that. I don't see any.

¿ For HD guys ?.. When you say built into for years.. More info on that?
i.e. Who controls GPS database updates?.. Harley, Garmin, Harman,..other???

..they make some pretty sophisticated integrated car systems. I would like to see the owners manual. That would answer a lot of questions.
..ditto that..

Den

· Vendor
23,408 Posts
It was on the 2018 Canadain intro launch. He said it was a harman system.
That's the old system I had before GPS - the Harmon system - I inherited it from my father. It's where you drive around lost for 2 hours but pretend to your wife like you know where you're going, and that you meant to go this way.

· Administrator
9,603 Posts
Guess if I had a HD I'd know more..lol.

actually I don't know much more yet

..gut feeling is we are talking two different companies..
Harman Kardon ...audio stuff since way back.
and
Harman Navigation
...every aspect of automotive infotainment, plus the network "manager" to integrate and secure all the various systems.

. From their website:"Telematics" ..
"...embedded infotainment solutions offer complete information, entertainment and communications capabilities...
HARMAN offers 3D and augmented navigation, multimedia support and smart apps for device integration, high speed connectivity, intuitive and multi-modal user interfaces, and a new generation of automotive cloud services."

Their other link for Harman Navigation talks about high end GPS AI issues but I don't see any real (tangible) systems information..also can't find any announcements anywhere..imo, if Honda just dumped Garmin and now uses Harman hardware, there would be lots of big news chatter about that. I don't see any.

¿ For HD guys ?.. When you say built into for years.. More info on that?
i.e. Who controls GPS database updates?.. Harley, Garmin, Harman,..other???

..ditto that..

Den
If you go to the "Contacts" link you'll see that Harman Technologies includes Harman, JBL, Harman-Kardon, AKG and Infinity. So it's all the same company.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts