GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2023 Goldwing Tour DCT - Candy Ardent Red
95 Posts
Wait a minute, perhaps we were thrown off by the Harman Kardon. I searched for just Harman Navigation System and found this >>>LINK<<<. It's a Samsung company, specializing in Intelligent Navigation. That would make more sense given the connection to a Japanese production. If you search Harman Navigation, there are a lot of references and material, including some good YouTube videos about what Harman believes their role is in the "Connected Car".

This may be a signal that Honda, like many of us, is fed-up with Garmin's approach to navigation systems.

Harman makes the Aha app for the HondaLink system in Honda cars. They already have a relationship with them.

http://www.aharadio.com/what-is-aha/in-your-car/honda

· Love The DCT
13,804 Posts
Guess if I had a HD I'd know more..lol.

actually I don't know much more yet

..gut feeling is we are talking two different companies..
Harman Kardon ...audio stuff since way back.
and
Harman Navigation
...every aspect of automotive infotainment, plus the network "manager" to integrate and secure all the various systems.

. From their website:"Telematics" ..
"...embedded infotainment solutions offer complete information, entertainment and communications capabilities...
HARMAN offers 3D and augmented navigation, multimedia support and smart apps for device integration, high speed connectivity, intuitive and multi-modal user interfaces, and a new generation of automotive cloud services
."

Their other link for Harman Navigation talks about high end GPS AI issues but I don't see any real (tangible) systems information..also can't find any announcements anywhere..imo, if Honda just dumped Garmin and now uses Harman hardware, there would be lots of big news chatter about that. I don't see any.

¿ For HD guys ?.. When you say built into for years.. More info on that?
i.e. Who controls GPS database updates?.. Harley, Garmin, Harman,..other???

..ditto that..

Den
I know Harman Kardon has made audio systems for HD since 2006. Around 2007, I believe Harman Kardon made a gps unit called the GPS-500.

Operating system software updates to HD''s boom box audio/nav is performed by the dealer via a flash drive. GPS map updates are done through the Harley-Davidson Navi Extras website.

My dealer has been kind enough to do the map updates for me when they become available.

:doorag:

· Vendor
23,408 Posts
Page 162 of the Nav manual has this address in it:

425 West Randolph Street, Chicago,
Illinois 60606

That is the address for Navteq, and Navteq is the supplier of map data for Garmin.

I don't know who's map data the Harman GPS systems use.

At this point, based on this address and the look and feel of the menus, I'm going to say that I think this is a Garmin based unit.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
I'm beginning to think they planned a 3 option system to try and appease everyone:
1.. Apple - Car Play
2.. Android - Android Auto
3.. Harman - Generic (for others not using 1 and 2 above) and just so they can now include some form of rudimentary navigation on the base model.

That would have been awesome.. ..flexible to the max and probably agreeable to almost everyone.

But then, Android didn't even make it to the starting gate and Apple seems to have stricter hardware requirements than some might wish for..

So here's hoping the Harman generic at least won't be much worse than the 06-17 OEM Garmin Navi offering.

(10 year free updates be like HAHA ..it will take half that time just to see the first update..lol.. :) )
Dennis

· Registered
591 Posts
It's amazing that there is so little information about the GPS in the new 2018 Wing, given the complaints about the pre-2018 system. I hope the system is NOT the one we have in our Accord! For me, other than there will be free map updates for 10 years, there are a lot of questions still left unanswered, some of which are:

1) Who will make the GPS? Honda, Garmin or some other vendor?
2) How will routes, maps, upgrades, tracks be loaded?
3) At what level will the GPS integrate with the hand controls?
4) Will the GPS be removable (e.g. K1600 system)?
5) How clear will the screen be in daylight, full sun?

There is nothing to speak of in the Users Manual, although there is usually a separate booklet for the GPS when manufactured by an outside vendor (e.g. Garmin). Is there information out there that I may have missed?

Ans:
1. Harman Navigation
2. Multiple ways - Honda Trip Planner, save to usb, plug usb into glove box or trunk connector, navigate to file, load. OR, googlemaps, make route, push to iphone, plug iphone into trunk or glove box connector, navigate to route (using Apple Car play).
3. Center selector knob is easiest way to interface with the TFT display when the bike is NOT moving. When bike is moving, left handlebar controls are the only way to interface with GPS (not entirely sure, but zoom in zoom out, etc). Also not sure, BUT might there also be some sort of voice activation? "Siri, stop route"???
4. NOT removable
5. Honda claims TFT display has excellent 'anti glare' properties - we will see

· Registered
10,169 Posts
Um...might not mean anything, but that article was from 2015. But, just what is it they bought?

Red Bend Software is a software company providing mobile software management technology to mobile phone manufacturers and operators. Red Bend’s software has been deployed by handset manufacturers including Kyocera, LG Electronics, Motorola, Sharp, Sony Mobile and ZTE, as well as companies in the mobile, M2M, automotive and enterprise markets.

Okay, what's mobile software management - or, another way to state is is mobile device management (MDM)?

MDM is a way to ensure employees stay productive and do not breach corporate policies. Many organizations control activities of their employees using MDM products/services. MDM primarily deals with corporate data segregation, securing emails, securing corporate documents on devices, enforcing corporate policies, integrating and managing mobile devices including laptops and handhelds of various categories. MDM implementations may be either on-premises or cloud-based.

So, it's nanny software - keep your employee's productive & not screwing off on their company-owned device.

Don't think there's a direct connection.

· Registered
10,641 Posts
Guys - 5 and a half year old thread... 🙄

· Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,721 Posts
Free updates for 10 years, somewhere there was a Japanese translator that made an error. It should read 1 update in 10 years!:rolleyes::ROFLMAO: Loving my Garmin XT, brighter then most.
Aircraft Airplane Toy Automotive tire Cockpit

· Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
708 Posts
Definitely if you are getting a new one, opt for the XT. Light years better. The brightness of the screen alone is remarkable.

· Registered
327 Posts
It's amazing that there is so little information about the GPS in the new 2018 Wing, given the complaints about the pre-2018 system. I hope the system is NOT the one we have in our Accord! For me, other than there will be free map updates for 10 years, there are a lot of questions still left unanswered, some of which are:

1) Who will make the GPS? Honda, Garmin or some other vendor?
2) How will routes, maps, upgrades, tracks be loaded?
3) At what level will the GPS integrate with the hand controls?
4) Will the GPS be removable (e.g. K1600 system)?
5) How clear will the screen be in daylight, full sun?

There is nothing to speak of in the Users Manual, although there is usually a separate booklet for the GPS when manufactured by an outside vendor (e.g. Garmin). Is there information out there that I may have missed?
Remember, the Honda Goldwing is only Half of an Accord. So, therefore the Navi is only half as good?? right??

· Registered
10,641 Posts
4-1/2 year old thread...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts