GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching the GPS info for a while, and as usual, lots of it from the folks that use them. I'm just in the beginning stages of research for a new "springtime" toy (i.e. maybe an early birthday present ??). Anyway; I'm looking for input from you the users as to cost, functionality, ease of use, which model, etc, etc. Naturally, I'd like the top-of-the-line unit for a basement bargain price. Let the input begin!! Many Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well, now you have all winter to read up on this site, which will answer many questions about gps in general and will provide detailed info about many (not all) gps devices -

www.gpsinformation.net

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hello Rickatwork
On the recommendations I got here, I just bought the Garmin Streetpilot 2720. I've not been disappointed. It's a great gps unit. The touch screen is easy to use as is the remote. The menu's are easy to navigate though which makes it easy to set the unit up the way you want it. The manuel is pretty straight forward and you can download it from Garmin's website if you'd like to look through it prior to purchase.

The screen is much easier to see and read than the Garmin GPS V I've been using for the last 5 years. It's an overall great unit for the price.

MSRP I believe is just under $800. Walmart has them online only for $594.
This was suppose to be a limited time price, but last time I looked, they still had it listed at this price. I ordered mine on the 22nd of November and FedX dropped it off on the 27th. Great service since Thanksgiving was the day after I placed the order.

The 2720 was highly recommended to me in this forum, and now I'd recommend it to anyone.
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2720/
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/StreetPilot2720GPS_OwnersManual.pdf

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I also have the Garmin Streetpilot 2720. Serves all my needs of a GPS...including being able to create routes on my PC in the comfort of home. Jill (the GPS voice) really does sound anoyed when she says "RECALCULATING"...lol I love it!!! Got mine NEW on eBay for 500.00.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a Iway 500 and have had it for about a year, no problems and very good for someone with no computer skills. It is very easy to use and understand.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
This is a nifty little thing Garmin has:
http://www.garmin.com/automotive/compare.jsp

I used it to do some side by side comparisons when considering my current unit. Personally I think that Garmin's reliability nudges out the competition. Even if the other guy is a little easier to use, if it doesn't work...

Still, you need to compare them all to see what fits you so, look at this link too:
http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Prod ... AY500C.asp

The bottom line here is, take your time. Having a battery is a nice feature, but you won't miss it if you've never had it. I like the ability to keep the unit on when stopped. This allows me to keep the trip clock going and look over my route while eating. That's just me, you might not care about such things.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I had a 2610, nice unit, upgraded to the 2720 and like it very much.

I now have the 07 with built in nav, it will do all I need, wish the build in nav would allow downloads from the PC, but....

I would get the 2720 again, it works great, download routes from the PC, touch screen, easy to use, switch from bike to other vehicle ( even rentals when traveling) it's a darn good overall unit...it does't have the xm radio or mp3 player, but I wasn't looking for that.....

There are cheeper units and more High Tec units out there, but for a first time user the 2720 is a great unit, plus if you want to upgrade later, resale should keep you from taking too large a hit.

Ebay has some great deals, GetFeetWet.com is also a good place to start looking....may have a refurbished unit on sale....

·
Registered
289 Posts

I just bought the 2820 and have everything installed (finally). It was not hard to install, just hard for me to decide what all I wanted.

I love having access to my phone when riding. I can call home or someone can call me while I'm on the road. Now I hate using the phone but when you need it you need it.

I have not hooked up the XM yet (I do have the antenna) and don't know for sure if I will, so I can't address that.

I think the bottom line on a GPS is that you will like which ever one you buy. Assuming it's a Garmin, of course. What ever features you get will seem "mandatory" after a little while. Kind of like power windows in your car.

My StreetPilot III was all I needed when I was using it. But I wanted to use my phone on the bike so after exploring all the options I upgraded to the 2820. I now "need" everything it does and can't live without it !!! LOL

Buy all you can afford (keep in mind the cost of all the gadgets needed to install it) and you'll never be sorry.

Ti04

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm also new to all the options and GPSers out there...so this really helps!!! Is there a unit I can use in the car, the bike AND carry with me so I don't get lost after the ride is over????
Harold
Palm Harbor, FL

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
haroldlandau said:
Is there a unit I can use in the car, the bike AND carry with me so I don't get lost after the ride is over????
Harold
Palm Harbor, FL
Any unit with batteries will do that. What do you want to do more? The batteries for a Garmin 276C will last about 12 hours depending on settings. the Quest can last as long as 20 hours depending on settings and the zumo will last about 4 hours. All of these units can have topo maps loaded for enhanced hiking fun. :D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Rick and Harold, allow me to suggest using 2 separate GPS's, each one dedicated to it's best functions. The highway gps's are great with all the mapping and poi capabilities. I thoroughly enjoy the iWay 500c.

However, I carry a handheld that has it's own batteries for off-bike use. It has rudimentary street data and no poi info. However, it fits into my shirt pocket and can run a couple of days on 2 aa's. I put my own poi/geocache/waypoint data on it via computer by simply writing to it's secure digital memory.

Specialization is indeed here in gps land.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts