GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
The family wants to buy a GPS for me .
I don't know much about them.
I'd like one that -
* How large a screen is needed, ( I'd think the bigger the better ? ):cool:
1. Will have Free Updating maps & traffic
2. Turn by Turn directions AND Loud enough to hear with the helmet on.
3. It will be moved from Wing to the cars from time to time.
4. Your suggestions & ideas are welcome
Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Garmin.com will list all their models for comparison.

Currently, the biggest screen is the Zumo 650. Be sitting down when you price one of these high-end models.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yep... the Zumo's are awesome. They are designed by bikers for bikers.
One of their best attributes is that they are waterproof! :)

I've had the Zumo 550 for years now and it's still sells for more on the Garmin website than I paid for it... so shop around.

The 660 and 665 have the larger screens, but I'm not certain you'll need them. If you mount it on the handlebars, then it's very close to you.

I keep a mount in my Jeep so I can transfer it from the bike easily.

http://www8.garmin.com/zumo/minisite.html

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135

To answer your specific questions:

1. You get free updates for a year with the zumo... after that, it's suggested that you buy a lifetime update for @ $89.
  2. It certainly has Turn by Turn directions... however, there's not a GPS that I'm aware of that will be loud enough with the helmet on at speed to be able to hear. You'll have to hook it up to your bikes intercom system via the AUX input... it's pretty easy to do with a $2.00 audio cable. Then you'll be able to hear it through your speakers or your helmet headsets.
  3. Super easy to do. In addition, it has a nice security "set" screw to keep it secured to your bike when you are not around.
  4. Suggestions:

• It is also an MP3 player and you can load up a 16 gig SD card with thousands of your favorite songs. You'll play them via your AUX input and they will sound 10x better than your radio stations.
  • You can use it as a Bluetooth hub as well. So you can hook your phone up to it via bluetooth with a simple $69 cable from bikemp3.com.
  • You can create routes on it and then share those routes via bluetooth with other zumo riders.
  • You can download awesome riding routes to the zumo via madmaps.
Other cool options on it are a virtual fuel indicator, an altimeter, and you can also store photo files on it of your rides to share. I'm also a fan of the speedometer screen which is way more accurate than your bikes speedometer... you'll be surprised with the difference.

Lastly... the zumo is designed to be easily used even with a big thick glove on. That's another benefit to a motorcycle specific GPS. When mounted on your bike, the buttons get big. This makes them easier to see and manipulate with a large glove on. Then, when it's out of the motorcycle bracket... it reverts to normal mode (same as any other GPS).

They are expensive... but you are getting many things for the price.

• The motorcycle mount with RAM mount
  • Car mount.
  • MP3 Player
  • Bluetooth hub
  • No baggies needed. ;)

Hope that helps.

Bob

·
Registered
686 Posts
Garmin.com will list all their models for comparison.

Currently, the biggest screen is the Zumo 650. Be sitting down when you price one of these high-end models.
There's also the option of a unit that isn't a 'scoot-specific'. The 1695 that I bought last month has a (nominal) 5" diag screen, for example. That extra real estate is nice. The down-side is that RAM doesn't make a model-specific cradle for that large a box (not sure an Aqua-Box is large enough, either)... I ended-up using the universal mount with the (provided) extra-long 'fingers'.

Ziplock baggy, or standard baggie and a tie, and -- ready for adverse weather.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just ordered the Ram mount for my Nuvi 1490T. It works well and is very secure. I don't think I will need a tether attached. The 1490T is not specifically for Motorcycles, and is not water proof. If I get caught in rain I'll just put a plastic bag over it, or remove it till the rain stops.

I'm 62 and my near vision isn't what it used to be. Even so, I find the 5" screen just a tad to big when mounted on my handlebar mount. I may look into some way of mounting it a little further away.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
137 Posts
Some of my thoughts

You are correct the bigger the screen the better.

Look at a RAM mount for the top of the clutch resivore.

You will not be able to hear any GPS while moving on the bike unless you plug it into your audio system.

I have a Zumo and love it. I also have the stock nav. I use the Zumo to navigate and the stock nav to display weather.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just mounted a TomTom Via 1505T w/a 5" screen using a Ram universal with fingers. Fits perfect. Dont forget the arm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QD8Q5Q universal mount

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L9LVZG arm for gl1800

I wouldnt give anybody $650 for a GPS and Ziplock makes little rain poncho's for $1.49 a box at the grocer. P.S. The 1505T Knows its way around to Canada And Mexico too.
Glad to see I'm not the only guy who figured out using an off the shelf GPS unit and a baggie will equal a Zumo for a lot less $$$.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only guy who figured out using an off the shelf GPS unit and a baggie will equal a Zumo for a lot less $$$.
I use a Nuvi 770T and 265T and have to say that I wish I had a Zumo. I got a great deal on a pair of bluetooth headsets that allow my wife and I to have both cell phones connected and also intercom without being wired. The bluetooth on the Nuvi is limited to cell phone connection only and doesn't qualify as a hands free unit here in Ontario according to the OPP (provincial police). The Nuvi is great but not equal to a Zumo.

Other manufacturers have 7" screens, but that may be a bit distracting at night.

·
Registered
674 Posts
2. Turn by Turn directions AND Loud enough to hear with the helmet on.
If you get one with a MP3 Player in it (e.g.: Garmin Nuvi 765T is what I have) and plug it into the bikes aux input you get your music mix and turn by turn directions through the bikes speakers or your headset in your helmet if so equipped.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Zumo

I am another Zumo Guy. Not only does the Zumo have a GPS but, the Zumo 550 also serves as XM Radio source (when the XM antenna is purchased) and MP3 Player (only 1,000 songs on the Zumo 550). The Bluetooth Feature allows you to connect your phone to send and receive calls while you are riding. A amazing device for a Motorcycle that is supposedly waterproof and has a special screen for the sun.

DOC:thumbup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Got a Garmin with a wide screen. Ram mount on the resevior. I can hear her clearly with a 3/4 on and over the radio, heck wife hears it also. (then I hear slow down she said to turn up here) I have a baggie and rubber band for bad weather. And we use it in the car on family trips.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you get one with a MP3 Player in it (e.g.: Garmin Nuvi 765T is what I have) and plug it into the bikes aux input you get your music mix and turn by turn directions through the bikes speakers or your headset in your helmet if so equipped.
I wonder if they've improved the soldering on the aux output on the 7x5 series because it broke loose inside on both the 750 and the 770T that I have. Now I have to tolerate the next to useless fm transmitter. On the bright side the weak fm receiver in the headset is sometimes able to pick up the weaker signal from the 770T. The 750 died a horrible death during a repair attempt. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have a Navi on my Wing, but also have a Zumo 550 mounted on the left handlebar on a RAM mount. I use one zoomed out, the other zoomed in for detail. I use the XM radio and MP3 on the 550 as well, with the XM antenna mounted on the right handlebar on another RAM mount. For use in cars, I have both a beanbag dash mount (if I rent a car in California) and a windshield mount (if I rent a car anywhere else) and take the 550 with me on trips. Saves a lot over rental GPS units, and works a lot better. One very nice thing about the Zumo 550 is the four large buttons on the left side, which can be easily pushed with a gloved hand, and control many of the functions of the unit. You can also carry it around on battery if you are walking in a new city, or on a bus.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hey... if you are interested in the Zumo... Check out the classifieds right here on the forums!

Zumo 550 w/GXM30 and all mounts

Heckuva deal on a Zumo 550, especially since it includes the $200 XM antenna.

Bob

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I have a TomTom XXL550 for my car, and I like it. But putting a baggie over it won't come close to making it a Zumo.

If you don't have any use for the features of a Zumo, then it would be a foolish expense. But it has many features that motorcyclists want besides being waterproof. Here are features that the 1505 does not have.

1. audio line output to connect to the bikes audio system. I consider this to be an important safety feature because you often can't and shouldn't look at the display when you are approaching a turn.
2. Comes with a car AND motorcycle cradle that enables you to quickly and securely mount the GPS without screwing around with power and audio cables, and without having to tether the GPS.
3. mp3 player, (and even XM if you want it)
4. Comes with a hardwire power cable to permanently power the GPS without messing around with unreliable cig lighter sockets.
5. A full featured trip computer. I use this quite often, and it works well.
6. Comes with the motorcycle RAM mounts. Nothing else to buy.
7. Bluetooth
8. You can load customer POI databases.
9. SD card slot

If all you want is a GPS, and nothing more, the TomTom is a good choice. They do the core GPS functions very well. But it's no Zumo.

FWIW, I have a 550, but compared to today's GPS tech, its core GPS functionality is badly outdated. Even inexpensive GPS's outperform it. The 550 does not even have lane assist, which nearly every GPS has now. The display is also very small compared to the size of the case. If considering a new Zumo, the 660 or 665 is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I use a Garmin 2720 but it is on its last leg. I just bought a Garmin 765T at Walmart.com for 129.00 shipped. It is a refurbished unit and is new in condition. I really like it because of the screen size and mounted it with 25.00 worth of Ram products. The Zumo line is nice if you have deep pockets.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have a Navi on my Wing, but also have a Zumo 550 mounted on the left handlebar on a RAM mount. I use one zoomed out, the other zoomed in for detail. I use the XM radio and MP3 on the 550 as well, with the XM antenna mounted on the right handlebar on another RAM mount. For use in cars, I have both a beanbag dash mount (if I rent a car in California) and a windshield mount (if I rent a car anywhere else) and take the 550 with me on trips. Saves a lot over rental GPS units, and works a lot better. One very nice thing about the Zumo 550 is the four large buttons on the left side, which can be easily pushed with a gloved hand, and control many of the functions of the unit. You can also carry it around on battery if you are walking in a new city, or on a bus.
I also have the Honda NAV, plus a Zumo 665. It replaced my XM receiver and I am VERY happy with it. I use it just for weather and XM and use the Facory NAV for road guidance, since I never program routes...I just want to be able to see where I am and what is coming up.

I am looking at putting some sort of hood on it to help visibility in sunlight.

With regular m/c gloves, I have no problem with the touch screen. With insulated gloves, I have a bit mire problem...but mistly just with entering XM channel numbers...so that's not much of a problem.

·
Registered
911 Posts
question....if you have a bluetooth GPS and have your headset plugged into the bike to hear music, talk on the CB etc, is there a way to use the bluetooth function of the GPS to use your cellphone in your helmet....would you have to put a splitter on the headset cord so the speakers and mic could be used by the bluetooth ?....did I ask this properly ?

Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts