GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2008 with ABS, which I wanted and now have the Honda GPS, which I didn't think that I wanted. I was right. This thing drives me nuts. Half the time, I can't come up with an address, the other half I get so many options that I can't find the one I want. If I take off after a stop and forget to turn it back on, I have to wait until I stop before I can turn in on again. :wrong:

I had the 2720 which was touch screen and it was working wonderfully on the 2005.

Am I missing some secret to enjoying this unit?? If not, what RAM mounting options have you found successful?

Thanks. Rant off. :?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Don't know about 08', by my 06' is just the same.....
Takes a bit of getting used to...
Also, planning the route - you'd have to enter via-points backwards (last to first....)
Sucks!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Wow, I do not have a NAV, but did not know you could not even turn it on while moving....That sucks....

I love my 2720 with ram mount on my right handle. I can turn on and turn off at will.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use mine to watch the road I'm on. Zoom it in to see the next curve. It does that pretty good. I don't expect alot from it, that way I don't let it upset me too much.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I use mine to watch the road I'm on. Zoom it in to see the next curve. It does that pretty good. I don't expect alot from it, that way I don't let it upset me too much.
I don't expect anything from mine (I never turn it on), so I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've got 4 different GPS units, including the factory GPS on my Goldwing. There's a learning curve to each product, and if you spend some time with your manual and experimenting with it prior to actually needing it, I think you'll find it's a great unit. I like the Goldwing GPS even better than the factory unit in our Civic. Spend some more time with it.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Got a 2008 with ABS, which I wanted and now have the Honda GPS, which I didn't think that I wanted. I was right. This thing drives me nuts. Half the time, I can't come up with an address, the other half I get so many options that I can't find the one I want. If I take off after a stop and forget to turn it back on, I have to wait until I stop before I can turn in on again. :wrong:

I had the 2720 which was touch screen and it was working wonderfully on the 2005.

Am I missing some secret to enjoying this unit?? If not, what RAM mounting options have you found successful?

Thanks. Rant off. :?
Yes. The secret is to learn the system and know it's limitations and capabilities. You're setting yourself up for frustration if you try and treat the Honda Navi like any other aftermarket GPS.

I like the clutch/brake reservoir cover replacement for the RAM mounts. Motorcycle Larry has them. I use the dual ball version for holding a camera mount and an EZ pass. (I use the Honda Navi and find it quite functional :shock:).

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've got 4 different GPS units, including the factory GPS on my Goldwing. There's a learning curve to each product, and if you spend some time with your manual and experimenting with it prior to actually needing it, I think you'll find it's a great unit. I like the Goldwing GPS even better than the factory unit in our Civic. Spend some more time with it.
:agree:

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Turn your key to accessory and let it boot before you put on your helmet and mount up.

Some can make it work just by fiddling and use the manual for fine points. Others just need to read the manual cover to cover. There's a lot of stuff in the manual that's almost as thick as the bike manual.

A machine is only as good as the operator.

If your attitute is that it's a piece of [email protected], then it probably is and there's nothing anyone can say or do that will change your mind.

·
Trained Killer Member
1,533 Posts
While it ain't quite as good as the aftermarkets, I find it to be adequate. Even though I have the '07 model, I know I need to update the maps and firmware here soon.

And I'm still holding my breath waiting for someone to invent the cheater's chip (module) like I purchased for my CTS ($300 but SO worth it!) and INSTALLED BY MYSELF (Bartster would be SO PROUD of me lol). It lets me enter addresses, watch DVDs, etc... while driving (OK, it lets "my passenger" watch the DVDs lol) :22yikes:

All in all, the OEM GPS is usually pretty accurate. It comes in handy when you're in unfamiliar territory. Of course there are better ones, like I said.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I like it as I just use it to see what's coming. All the navigation is done by map before I leave home. I just got a Garmin GPS/SAT radio combo that I bought mostly for the radio. It was only a little more than just a satellite receiver.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
This thread seems to come around regularly but I see some replies this time that are on the money. It is a functional GPS if you learn to use it. It has it's limitations but you can work around them if you want. I turn my key to Aux while getting ready to let it boot up and turn it to Aux when stopping for gas so I don't have to go through the wake up process. It does have limited input keys and can be unforgiving if you make a mistake and Honda will not let them display the speed but it is usable. I mount my Nuvi on a ram mount for speed and long range and keep the Honda up close. I like it and use it but there is a statement made here I like and that was if you don't like it you never will. Garmin makes a lot of different units and they all have different features find one you like and don't turn the Honda GPS on, you can just have a large screen like the level 1 package. As long as you think you paid $20,000 for a GPS and $900 for ABS you will never be happy.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
As I don't have a GPS built in to the Wing I can't comment on that other than it sounds kind of like a CB. If you don't turn it on you are very happy with it. Once you turn it on, you are just frustrated.:shrug:
I have a Garmin 2620 and love it.:p

·
Registered
127 Posts
:agree: Once you spend the time to learn all its function and limitation the GPS is not that bad. But don't feel too bad, I have two cars with OEM GPS built in, they all have similar limitation. I always had an extra external GPS, had lots of different brands, Tom Tom, nextStar, Garmin. Even at one time had a iPaq window mobile device with Tom Tom software and blue tooth GPS.

You can not beat a dedicated device, my two favorites are my hand held Garmin Legend CX. I use this on my ATV and geocaching with my 10 year old son. This as off road maps,tracking, trackback(boy is that handy in mountains) etc.

My main GPS now is my Garmin Zumo 550, can't say enough positive things about this GPS. I have mounts on all of my bikes and cars and switch the unit between them all. I use the built in GL GPS at wide zoom so I can get an all round overview and can quickly zoom in and out with the handlebar switch. The Zumo is used for direction and finding things and if thing play out soon be using for traffic, weather and xm radio. :lol:

The Zumo also can sync with a blue tooth enabled phone. Not that I advocate use of cell phones while driving but you could integrate with the GL com system and answer calls. I just use it to see who's calling and to see if it warrants a stop and call back or just ignore. I can see if its work or the wife, I'll let you work out which one I ignore and which one I pull over and call back.

But the biggest reason I put the Zumo on the GL was for pre-planning rides. I could live with all the limitations of the GL built in GPS except for one feature it lacks. All OEM GPS's lack this, I want to pre-plan my route on a computer and load it into my GPS.

Cats-cade is a great example, never been before, but they have all rides, routes and POI on the web site to download. I took this into Garmins mapping software on the computer and made some edits that I wanted. Added my own routes, like Home to Daysinn, friends house on the way etc. I now have these all on the Zumo.

I bought some paper versions of mad-maps, spent the one weekend on the laptop entering the routes in the mapping software making edits where needed, I have these all now in the Zumo.

I recommend investing in a Zumo 550/660 and using both together.

I wish list for the new GL, touch screen interface with sofware/screen buttons for audio controls, get rid of all the buttons on the dash. Touch screen for the GPS, get rid of the buttons on the rights side. And have another SD card slot in one of the side pockets to load ride data etc.

Just my 2 cents, of course my 2 cents is not worth as much as is was a few years back...

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Fred Harmon and kennedy technologies are working on a device to cut down on the frustration of waiting for the Honda GPS to boot up, last i heard its supposed to be available in a few weeks, 100% plug and play

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turn your key to accessory and let it boot before you put on your helmet and mount up.

Some can make it work just by fiddling and use the manual for fine points. Others just need to read the manual cover to cover. There's a lot of stuff in the manual that's almost as thick as the bike manual.

A machine is only as good as the operator.

If your attitute is that it's a piece of [email protected], then it probably is and there's nothing anyone can say or do that will change your mind.
Well, I CAN operate the 2720 just FINE. Just said it is frustrating and not a piece of crap. I was just getting frustrated trying to find things as easy as I do on the 2720.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. The secret is to learn the system and know it's limitations and capabilities. You're setting yourself up for frustration if you try and treat the Honda Navi like any other aftermarket GPS.
So you are saying it is kind of like dating a new woman. Haven't done that in quite a while. Guess I will have to try again. :eek:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
the secret is to not use it, and add a real gps to your bike solves it all
Any device that uses the Global Positioning System satellites to report your position on the Earth IS a "real" GPS. Here's an example of a REAL GPS, which is about the size of a book of matches:

All it does is output ascii-encoded, NMEA-0183 formatted data over an RS-422 connection. It won't find the nearest Dairy Queen, search through a national database of Dairy Queens, or or allow you to change your mind about which Dairy Queen you'd like to visit while enroute. You'd hate this thing!

It is, however, perfectly adequate for planting a cruise missle squarely in your front yard without so much as a Howdee-Do.

I submit that this is a REAL GPS, in spite of the fact that it doesn't have a single feature you'd find useful. So please stop telling us what is or isn't a REAL GPS.

·
Registered
127 Posts
All it does is output ascii-encoded, NMEA-0183 formatted data over an RS-422 connection. It won't find the nearest Dairy Queen, search through a national database of Dairy Queens, or or allow you to change your mind about which Dairy Queen you'd like to visit while enroute. You'd hate this thing!

It is, however, perfectly adequate for planting a cruise missle squarely in your front yard without so much as a Howdee-Do.

I submit that this is a REAL GPS, in spite of the fact that it doesn't have a single feature you'd find useful. So please stop telling us what is or isn't a REAL GPS.
So your saying that all the terrorist as to do is get out of their front yards and start hiding in Dairy Queens and we can't target them...:shrug:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts