GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the Goldwing does not remember the position I set as the map orientation. I always like it as Heading up.
Sometimes it is down, and other times it is going sideways.
No sense in asking why it does that, but is there a way to keep it set the way I want it?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mine has always stays on Heading Up or Heading North. It never flip-flop around.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mine flops around too, and it does not function as the manual intended. There have been two updates, and maybe that’s my problem ... they may not have been done.

I like the Garmin user interface and data base MUCH better, and it would appear that I am not alone.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine is always heading up unless I change it. I have installed all the updates. I have not experienced the behavior you describe.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I discovered mine changed after I installed the 2nd update.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
It seems that the Goldwing does not remember the position I set as the map orientation. I always like it as Heading up.
Sometimes it is down, and other times it is going sideways.
No sense in asking why it does that, but is there a way to keep it set the way I want it?

I also like the heading up. Every once and awhile, (3 times in 15K miles) it decides to change to north up all by itself.

:doorag:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its probably in the owner's manual somewhere …

I discovered that if you are parked and you turn the settings wheel while the map is showing, it will navigate through the menu choices around to the upper left part of the screen and when it comes to the mini-compass rose, if you click by pressing the wheel, it changes the view with each click from heads up, to north up, to 3d heads up. I probably changed the view a couple times inadvertently by this method.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its probably in the owner's manual somewhere …

I discovered that if you are parked and you turn the settings wheel while the map is showing, it will navigate through the menu choices around to the upper left part of the screen and when it comes to the mini-compass rose, if you click by pressing the wheel, it changes the view with each click from heads up, to north up, to 3d heads up. I probably changed the view a couple times inadvertently by this method.

I bet that is what I have done.
I will try and keep an eye out for doing that.

I just went out and checked it and it was set at North up. I set it back to Heading up. I will see how it does.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bet that is what I have done.
I will try and keep an eye out for dobaing that.

I just went out and checked it and it was set at North up. I set it back to Heading up. I will see how it does.
I'm guessing you've bumped it , also when using the handle bar control and you hit the menu button enough times you'll get to the map settings, I also like North up also the 3D North isn't to bad either.

PBR

·
Registered
581 Posts
I solved the issue by never using onboard Nav and always using Waze from my phone.
Regrettably, this doesn't work for me. I have had Waze stop displaying the roads I was traveling with the display just showing the roads ending and they really did go on. This is a function of cell coverage of course and I tend to ride in areas where cell coverage is spotty to nonexistent. I love to head out, get lost, then have the bike's GPS find me a way home. Apple CarPlay is great and so is Waze, Google Maps, and all of the other available features, but without a signal they're a bit problematic. I have yet to lose a satellite signal so the bike always knows where it is (and therefore where I am).

I find that I will use every map system and GPS I have available on the bike. That's Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, and the bike's GPS. With this, I have decided to not procure a standalone GPS like Tom-Tom or Garmin or whatever else. For me, there's other things I want to buy, like new boots to match my Klim Latitude riding suit, or gloves, or some heated gear or a fuse block, or a new windshield. You get the idea. I did, however, try to stop by the Butler booth at Wing Ding 41 to check out their maps, but my buddy just looked at me and shook his head, so I passed. My advice - get lost and then find yourself.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I solved the issue by never using onboard Nav and always using Waze from my phone.
Some have had good success planning routes on Google Maps and using them through Apple Car Play. Are there any good Youtube videos that can show us how to plan and execute routes with multiple waypoints on Google Maps?

Can this be done on Waze?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Regrettably, this doesn't work for me. I have had Waze stop displaying the roads I was traveling with the display just showing the roads ending and they really did go on. This is a function of cell coverage of course and I tend to ride in areas where cell coverage is spotty to nonexistent. I love to head out, get lost, then have the bike's GPS find me a way home. Apple CarPlay is great and so is Waze, Google Maps, and all of the other available features, but without a signal they're a bit problematic. I have yet to lose a satellite signal so the bike always knows where it is (and therefore where I am).

I find that I will use every map system and GPS I have available on the bike. That's Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, and the bike's GPS. With this, I have decided to not procure a standalone GPS like Tom-Tom or Garmin or whatever else. For me, there's other things I want to buy, like new boots to match my Klim Latitude riding suit, or gloves, or some heated gear or a fuse block, or a new windshield. You get the idea. I did, however, try to stop by the Butler booth at Wing Ding 41 to check out their maps, but my buddy just looked at me and shook his head, so I passed. My advice - get lost and then find yourself.

Well - true enough. I haven't done any major traveling since I got the '18...but yes - signal dependent for waze or any phone apps. Onboard nav typically has better signal coverage...so...yes...a combination of everything you have at your disposal (including paper maps...lol) would be the best practice.

Some have had good success planning routes on Google Maps and using them through Apple Car Play. Are there any good Youtube videos that can show us how to plan and execute routes with multiple waypoints on Google Maps?

Can this be done on Waze?

I'm not certain. I think you can d/l the actual map/directions for 'offline' use...just in case...but haven't checked into it just yet.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you d/l the area you are going to be in on g-maps then it will work on CarPlay and show the route, if signal returns then it will go back to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I thought mine was jumping around but wasn't sure how to set it. I'll have to keep a better eye on it from now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts