GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbup:

I called Garmin last week and spoke with Barry (In tech support). He told me they just received their first shipment of the long awaited map updates.
I have the original CF card in my 2008 GL1800. I was asked to order it from the www.garmin.com/goldwing website and that "I would get the brand new" version regardless of what the website version says is available. So, I did. NOTE: Have your VIN ready.

Yesterday I received my ver.2011 CF card. I plan on installing it this weekend after I change my back tire. (Got the infamous wobble at 15k.)

Barry mentioned that Honda hasn't made the official announcement yet, but when they do, there could be a delay in shipping due to demand. I paid $149 plus s&h, so no price reduction as some had predicted.

Not sure, but probably 09' models and newer will be able to get newer maps also.

v/r
James:doorag:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
are you kidding?
..we can't wait until this weekend :shock:

just pop open the trunk and put the card in
... takes about 5 minutes
... then, do the tire later..
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Procrastination post

LOL, My bike is parked out back in a workshop (with no working lights) during the week. But, I suppose if supper ain't ready when I get home from work tonight I will go install it.;) Then be frustrated that I can't go ride it yet. haha. :x Good news is the MAPS are here!!! This is way more exciting than when the new phone book arrives.:yes:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
This should be interesting.........i'm really finding it hard to believe the 2008 has an update. Please post your revision number off your NAV screen when you do, so we can all see it.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
For that price you can get a Garmin with free lifetime maps.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
For that price you can get a Garmin with free lifetime maps.

yea.but it's not integrated! But still..geeeez shouldn't have to take out a loan for a map update!

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
:thumbup:

I called Garmin last week and spoke with Barry (In tech support). He told me they just received their first shipment of the long awaited map updates.
I have the CF card in my 2008 GL1800. I was asked to order it from the www.garmin.com/goldwing website and that I would get the new version regardless of what the website version says is available. So, I did. NOTE: Have your VIN ready.

Yesterday I received my ver.2011 CF card. I plan on installing it this weekend after I change my back tire. (Got the infamous wobble at 15k.)

Barry mentioned that Honda hasn't made the official announcement yet, but when they do, there could be a delay in shipping due to demand. I paid $149 plus s&h, so no price reduction as some had predicted.

Not sure, but probably 09' models and newer will be able to get newer maps also.

v/r
James:doorag:
Great news!! I think I'll wait until the web site is updated though... Thanks for posting the info! :thumbup:

Edit: does the CF actually say ver.2011?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Garmin website is NOT up to date

Hello Fred,

You're right, the website is NOT up to date yet. If you are interested in ordering, just call Garmin direct. The website may reflect the newest version once Honda makes their official announcement.

Ride safe:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
According to the link at Garmins website, this is V9 which is April 2008 map data. :shock:

Maybe the website hasn't been updated yet...
I too called Garmin. Marcus told me the same - it's the new 2011 version, but the website hasn't yet been updated. I was assured I would receive the latest and greatest maps.

I was impressed with Garmin's support. No wait time at all, and that #, 866-606-7555, tells the CS rep that the call is Goldwing related so I didn't have to explain a darn thing.

6/22 update - received and installed the new card. It includes a few basic install instructions - piece of cake!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I sure hope this isn't too good to be true. If it is true then thank you very much for bringing this to my/our attention. I would pay the $149 price because this may be the last chance to update my 07 with new map data.

Dan

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just called also...

Unfortunately, I was told...

"We may have the new 2011 update. You can order it. You may get either the 2008 or the 2011 update."

Or you can wait a couple of weeks for the web site to get updated and then order...

Don't think I'm ready to gamble $149.

Even if I am in Las Vegas...(;-)

John

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Heck, I couldn't wait. Called and talked to Barry and he advised same as posted above. He said they were getting swamped with calls but they still had a few in stock. Mine will be here in 3-5 business days:yes:.

Dan

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I updated my 07 last year with City Navigator non NT 2009 version. I bought the software from CN and down loaded it all on a new CF card and loaded it tinto the Nav system for less than 80 dollars, but you can't do that anymore ya have to buy the card from Garmin for 140 bucks.:shrug: I'll wait a couple of more years befor updating again.

Fred

·
Registered
805 Posts
My riding buddy has the 06 and they have just yesterday shipped his out to him.
When the update comes in, can you verify that it works on the '06 and that it is the 2011 release? Older Nav units require uncompressed data and Garmin has stated that they will no longer be supported. It would sure be nice if they came up with an update for my '07.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts