GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a long article in the "Personal" section in today's Wall Street Journal. Looks like there is also some others that will be getting into this market. The HP unit is for cars and also bikes or walkers. Hey, I say the water is warm jump on in and hopefully the prices will fall and the features will increase with all companies.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Lets hope HP GPSs are better than their computers

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
This may be a little off topic but it concerns H-P quality. I remember when having an H-P piece of test equipment meant that you had the very best quality available. They used gold plating on the lands of their circuit boards and the stuff lasted forever. I imagine it was a real culture shock for them to try to get into the low cost, high volume, and resulting low quality computer market. What a shame. It was nice to have a company to look up to as the industry leader in top quality electronic equipment.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
BlueWing said:
There is a long article in the "Personal" section in today's Wall Street Journal. Looks like there is also some others that will be getting into this market. The HP unit is for cars and also bikes or walkers. Hey, I say the water is warm jump on in and hopefully the prices will fall and the features will increase with all companies.
How do you mount the GPS on a walker? :?

:lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Re: gpa

mark05 said:
up high, with lots of duct tape. oh, and put an orange flag on it!
Does it require the use of tennis balls? :lol:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I would like to see what they come out with. The more competition the better. My HP laptop has by far been the best I have had, compared to my Sony, Toshiba, Dell products.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Mark Rowell said:
This may be a little off topic but it concerns H-P quality. I remember when having an H-P piece of test equipment meant that you had the very best quality available. They used gold plating on the lands of their circuit boards and the stuff lasted forever. I imagine it was a real culture shock for them to try to get into the low cost, high volume, and resulting low quality computer market. What a shame. It was nice to have a company to look up to as the industry leader in top quality electronic equipment.
I believe there is a misperception about what exactly HP does. The low end home PC part of their business represents less than 1% of their revenue. They have an extremely large presence in the following computer businesses:

UNIX Servers and Workstations
High Resolution Plotters and Printers
Enterprise Data Storage Servers
High End Workstations and Engineering PCs

Actually, there isn't a company out there that makes a very high quality home PC. The investment required in resources and dollars to improve MTBF and R&D for the home market would price the lone quality home PC right out of the market.

I do structural and thermal analysis work on seriously high end HP, DELL, SUN, and IBM workstations and PCs. The highest quality I have found in the high-end computing market comes from HP. The others aren't even close. Well, maybe SUN is close (very close) in the UNIX market, but they don't make a PC.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richard, WALKING. They showed a picture of a person walking along with a GPS. It does not look like those hand held Garmin units. It looks like the Garmin units that go in your car.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
BlueWing said:
Richard, WALKING. They showed a picture of a person walking along with a GPS. It does not look like those hand held Garmin units. It looks like the Garmin units that go in your car.
oh

:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts