GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Jerry, get a Ram Mount for your Garmin.
I have mine mounted on the left side, then you can plug in power inside the fairing box.

·
Registered
414 Posts
GPS mounts

Ditto on the mounts. I had a Ram mount on last bike. Will soon be getting one for the Garmin on 1800. I currently have a Lowrance Ifinder Expidition on bike, I like it as it shows a actual map of the area and scrolls along with travel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have decided that I'm tired of trying to find a suitable mount and made my own. It works very well for me and is secure when I'm off the bike. It took a while to fabricate but it has turned out very well. It does not block any gauges and adds more buttons. That's what we wingers are all about anyway, right? Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have decided that I'm tired of trying to find a suitable mount and made my own. It works very well for me and is secure when I'm off the bike. It took a while to fabricate but it has turned out very well. It does not block any gauges and adds more buttons. That's what we wingers are all about anyway, right? Dave
That's actually very cool... great fabrication skills there! :thumbup:

·
Registered
693 Posts

Nice fab job. Looks like a factory accessory!

·
Registered
459 Posts
+1 for the RAM mounts, really good and inexpensive. They bolt right on to the handle bar where the brake and clutch levers are.

Look close in this pic and you'll see my Garmin with one of the RAM mounts. Plus you can get other mounts to go on them too like cell phone holders and cup holders, etc. I have one for each side. Cell phone on the left and GPS on the right. I ran my GPS wire through the bike and up the wire chase on the handlebar so you can't even see the wires. I also ran an extended headphone cable up the left side so I can either use my phone for streaming music or swap to the iPod in the trunk.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Great at idea & looks awesome!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I also use a Ram mount. Mine hooks into the clutch reservoir and is very slick. Sorry can't put my fingers on a pic atm.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Very nice work!

·
Registered
468 Posts
left speaker...

I velcro to the left speaker. I only use headset for music so I'm not concerned with blocking speaker. Works great! I tried mounting to left side of handlebar, was to close for me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I use a Ram mount for my Nuvi 550 bolted to a mount that I made to sit on top of the dash(velcroed on) behind the windshield.I tried the handlebar mount,but found that I didn't like looking off to the side even a small amount.Mine is strait ahead and just below your normal line of site.Also it was too close on the bars and if I had a light colored shirt on the reflection off it would wash out the screen and the Nuvi has a better than average screen.

Here's the only pict I have right now

·
Registered
162 Posts
I really like the dash mount view. Like to see more of them or anyone have links to where to purchase?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Here's my setup. The butler ring can be seen in the foreground ram-mounted to the right handlebar. Top left on the shelf is my tpms, my gps spot unit, zumo, radar detector. Bottom is my phone mount, nuvi and map light. Cable hanging down on the right goes to the camera which gets mounted to the right of the detector. And I use a modular helmet, no problem with lifting it while riding and taking a drink. My old bike had the gps on the left handlebar mount, butler cup on the right.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
ssncob that is a awesome set up :thumbup:, where did ya find that shelf or did ya fab it?
Looks like a Firecreek Windbender Farkle shelf. That is the full size version, they also sell a mini but it is only $10 less.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts