GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just researching to purchase a GPS unit and I would like some opinion on the best route to go. Is there a unit that I can purchase that will acomplish all these features without purchasing additional electronic gizmos to make it work? Plug and play style? Or do I have to buy a bunch of accessories to make this happen?

What is your recommendation on the best over all GPS unit. (Cost vs functionality)

Can I start with a good GPS unit and add the MP3 and cell phone features later on? All operating through my existing audio system and headset of course.

Thanks for your suggestions and opinions. There seem to be a lot of units out there today and it is a bit overwhelming for the first time purchaser of a GPS unit.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Look at models that are Blue Tooth capable- Garmin 2820- Zumo 550 to name a few. Then you can use your cell phone if you choose. Both have mp3 built in to.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went with the Zumo 550. It links into your bluetooth phone, and with a Kennedy Cellset plug and play module and wire, links into your intercom so you can use your phone with your helmet headset and mike. You can also wire it to go into your AUX input to come through your speakers. Thje Zumo comes with a RAM mount for your bike, and also comes with a cradle and suction cup mount for your car. It has built in MP3, and XM radio. Great unit, and easy to install.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The quick answer is NO.

You will need to add things. Call Jon at Cyclegadgets and he will discuss what you need and then give you a good price on all of it. I guess you could find the parts somewhere else and save a few pennies, but Jon's service and advice is more than worth it.

I have a 2820 and I wish I had talked to Jon first. Could have saved a lot of time and a little money.

Ti04

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts
Re: The quick answer is NO.

Ti04 said:
You will need to add things. Call Jon at Cyclegadgets and he will discuss what you need and then give you a good price on all of it. I guess you could find the parts somewhere else and save a few pennies, but Jon's service and advice is more than worth it.

I have a 2820 and I wish I had talked to Jon first. Could have saved a lot of time and a little money.

Ti04
Ditto on contacting Jon. He knows his stuff and freely shares his knowledge.

He is at http://www.goldwinggadgets.com

Bob E.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Advice

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be in touch with jon at cyclegadgets and get his suggestions for what I am looking for.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm waiting for an all in one unit. Currently, Garmin makes a model 20 smartphone.
Hopefully, the new generation Windows Vista ( code name Crossbow) smartphones will have VGA screens, windows media player among other features. For example WiFi, Bluetooth and Camera.
Happy Hunting,
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts