GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the GPS worth getting? I have a Tom Tom Rider on my V-Star and love it. The TT Rider is very detailed and easy to use even while rolling down the highway. Does any one have an opinion about the Wings GPS?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
kymagred said:
Does any one have an opinion about the Wings GPS?
:lol:

I personally love the Wing GPS. But it is very basic. You can't plan trips on your PC - everything has to be entered on the bike. Other than zooming in and out, you can't do anything while in motion - you have to pull over and be completely stopped to do anything else.

If you can't live with the above, then don't get it.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I too have the build it GPS and also a Garmin2720...while it's a littlePIA not to be able to fool with the GPS while in motion, I can really understand Honda's move to make it this way...SAFETY.

We all fuss about the cell phones in cars, people not paying attention, reading news papers while driving, putting on makeup....how can we fuss about not being able to make choices on the GPS, find services, typing in addresses etc...while driving a motorcycle that takes a lot more attention to operate without getting run over by the cell phone user....kind of like the pot calling the kettle black????? :?

Yeah, when I had the 2720 mounted, I did play with the GPS while moving, the wife fussed all the time that I was weaving, or getting close to the center line.....so, maybe Honda's not too wrong?? :roll:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've got a Garmin 2610 on my bike, and I have the ability to operate it while riding, unlike the factory unit on the newer models. The idea that operating a GPS while in motion is unsafe is ludicrous, when you realize that my attention is diverted from the road considerably less than if I were changing settings on the radio.
The information available to the rider when the GPS is operating has become invaluable to me, and I won't have another bike without a good GPS system. Once you've had a GPS as good as the Garmin 2610, you'll never settle for the factory unit, IMHO.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I have the Nav pkg. it's made by Garmin for Honda. I had a few issues with it initially but my dealer finally resolved them. It is a fairly basic unit but well designed and works quite well actually. If I did have a negative comment it would be the inability to operate it while in motion. As with any factory installed accessory there are some benefits and some drawbacks. Overall I am pleased with it's functionality and it is more than sufficient for me. Terry

·
Registered
264 Posts
mine does exactly what its suppose to do , no more, no less. could not be happier with the factory unit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the T T Rider. When you are rolling down the highway, and tap the screen you only have 3 options. You navigate to Home, Recent Destination and to nearest Gas Station. You cannot access the main menu for safety reasons. There maybe 4 options. Itinerary Planning I think?? Not sure if you can tap on that. Being able to look for a gas station while on my Route 66 trip was a big help.

So let me ask this. If you had a GPS that you really liked and could put on your GW. Would you get the Nav Package?

And where can I find more info about the GW Nav? I hope to buy a GW spring 2007. Not sure if I want to get the NAV now or not.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So let me ask this. If you had a GPS that you really liked and could put on your GW. Would you get the Nav Package?
Unless Honda makes the Nav system more complete, I wouldn't buy a bike with the Nav package. If I was buying a bike today, I'd buy an '05 with ABS and take the Garmin off my current bike and install it on the new one.
To a lot of people, the factory Nav system is great, but I guess I'm just more demanding than others. Knowing what a GPS is capable of, I could never be satisfied with a system that doesn't do it all.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
kymagred said:
... So let me ask this. If you had a GPS that you really liked and could put on your GW. Would you get the Nav Package?...
If money was no object, I would get the complete package (primarily for the ABS & resale value)

The display on the Navi unit is very nice, even if you never turn the unit on.

(And I would definitely add my own GPS for more complicated trips)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I love mine just the way it is!
Easy to read and I get updated either helmet or speakers.
I'll get my $$ worth from it.............

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love the built in GPS. I find it easy to program routes. I only wish you could turn it on when moving, somtimes I forget when I start the bike. I also have a 2720 that I used on my VTX1800 when I had it. Now it gets used in the cars The only thing I miss from the 2720 is the 3d view of looking down the road your on.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I don't have the Honda Nav, but in order to get the ABS I would get it. Even so, I would probably add another GPS on my handle bar just to improve functionality.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Question for those of you that have the Honda built in GPS. I understand you can down load to the unit. This surprised me, doesnt it have a card that can be removed? And assuming the answer is no can you plan entire trips and save them from on unit it self?

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I haven't had the chance to really play around with it yet, but, No as I understand it as of now, you can not remove the CF card and download routes etc to the card. I'm hoping that Handa / Garmin will release a update to the software that will allow us to do that....That's about the biggest downside to the built in Nav...

You can plan your trip on the unit itself and add via's to the route. I havn't done this yet, someone else may chime in of that..

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just got mine less than a week ago and so far I like it. I use DeLorme software and an earthmate GPS when traveling in the truck, and this stock Honda unit compares to it fairly well. I really like the heads up prior to a turn. There is no excuse for missing a turn, and if there are two turns in quick succession it tells you about them so you can turn into the correct lane in preparation for the next turn. I also like the go home feature. I like the fact that it is built in and looks great there.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Allthough I'm dissapointed you can't down load trips from my PC if I was buying a new ride today I would want it as well as the air bag. The NAv may not be all that and a bag of chips but I'm sure I would be satisified over my present method. (I hate having to remove my GPS at every stop, Just so I can run in and use the rest room, buy a coke etc etc)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Joseph, no you can't download to the gps in a ny way for trips just updating new maps as they come out you cannot plan trips or download waypoints from other gps units or routes, I want what I paid a lot of money for and My opnion the gps is neat that it's built in but works like junk! External units are the only way to go such as 2610 or 2720 ot 276 with weather, they may come out with a firmware update and fix all these problems it has , but not if everyone says it's great , it's not!!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I like mine, but didn't think I would. So far have only used it locally.

I enjoy it more when I set a destination and set it to shortest route, rather than quickest.

Quickest route takes me over main roads, while shortest exposes me to many new routes and some nicer new scenery.

Most of the time I'm just out for the ride and in no hurry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts