GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thought on this ? Buy a dedicated Gps unit for route planning or use cell phone with navigation? Thanks all

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
GPS! Hands down.

I thought about this very question a couple of weeks ago while riding in the mountains of East Tennessee. The GPS (if you choose the right one) will allow custom route planning. The phone, not so much. But the big thing that would irritate the hell out of me would be focusing on the road and trying to pay attention to the GPS directions in an unfamiliar area, and then...THE DAMN PHONE RINGS!!!! Your nav screen disappears, you have to try to "end the call" to get your nav screen back and that takes two or three button/screen taps and when you finally get back to the screen, you don't necessarily come back to the screen you need (zoom settings specifically). If you could easily stop all calls while you're using the phone for nav purposes, that would help, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty, the dedicated GPS is MUCH more handy and efficient for doing what you need on the bike, than a a smartphone with GPS capability.

My $.02

·
Registered
827 Posts
I use them both! I use the gps to get me to a town then, usually, during dinner I use kayak to book a hotel. Back on the bike I set the phone on the gps window on the wing and use it to get to the hotel. Forget trying to program in the address in the wings gps when its easier to ask Suri to do it.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
:agree: with Bartman Now I used to give grief to my riding partner about having 3 GPS's on the bike (installed Honda one, and two Garmins). I just had one on my 02 (Garmin 765, didn't have a smart phone then).

Then I got my 08 with Nav. Then started doing even more long distance rides. Now I've got three on mine (Honda Nav, a Zumo and a Nuvi). I can still end up not where I wanted to go, but I'll definitely know where I'm at :tongue:

I agree with Bartman on his comments. Besides the phone not being waterproof (yes you can stick it in an Aquabox or Otter case), the GPS is just so much better and you don't have to worry about loss of cell phone coverage (real easy in the mountains) and maxing out your data plan.

And downloading waypoints, trips, marking locations, all so much easier on a dedicated device.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GPS! Hands down.

I thought about this very question a couple of weeks ago while riding in the mountains of East Tennessee. The GPS (if you choose the right one) will allow custom route planning. The phone, not so much. But the big thing that would irritate the hell out of me would be focusing on the road and trying to pay attention to the GPS directions in an unfamiliar area, and then...THE DAMN PHONE RINGS!!!! Your nav screen disappears, you have to try to "end the call" to get your nav screen back and that takes two or three button/screen taps and when you finally get back to the screen, you don't necessarily come back to the screen you need (zoom settings specifically). If you could easily stop all calls while you're using the phone for nav purposes, that would help, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty, the dedicated GPS is MUCH more handy and efficient for doing what you need on the bike, than a a smartphone with GPS capability.

My $.02
Good point about phone calls ! I was thinking of using co pilot app ! Will have to check to see if that is a function available?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:agree: with Bartman Now I used to give grief to my riding partner about having 3 GPS's on the bike (installed Honda one, and two Garmins). I just had one on my 02 (Garmin 765, didn't have a smart phone then).

Then I got my 08 with Nav. Then started doing even more long distance rides. Now I've got three on mine (Honda Nav, a Zumo and a Nuvi). I can still end up not where I wanted to go, but I'll definitely know where I'm at :tongue:

I agree with Bartman on his comments. Besides the phone not being waterproof (yes you can stick it in an Aquabox or Otter case), the GPS is just so much better and you don't have to worry about loss of cell phone coverage (real easy in the mountains) and maxing out your data plan.

And downloading waypoints, trips, marking locations, all so much easier on a dedicated device.
Just for information co pilot you dont have to worry about lost of cell service!

·
Registered
712 Posts
GPS all the way. It's a nice safety blanket to know your phone had mapping and can get you best route somewhere, but the GPS lets you actually plan a route. I find many therapeutic hours of off time, just planning a future route or improvements to a previous route. I use Garmin Basecamp to plat a point to point route and then spends lots of time zooming in, looking for those curvy, hilly, scenic county and town roads and adjusting the route to use them.

Every time I see or hear about a great place to visit, a vista to look over, or road to try I save it in Basecamp. Then later when planning where should we ride this weekend, I use them to make creative routes to get there.

Scott....

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
:roll: SPOTWALLA FREE APP N DOWNLOAD - MARKS TRIP WHEREVER YOU GO . CAN SHARE WITH ANYONE. IF LOSE SIGNAL ON PHONE/IPAD /ETC RDOES WHEN YOU GET SIGNAL BACK.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree with the most of the above...

But cell phones are getting better all the time. They are close to what GPS's can do. My Droid Maxx is as good as any GPS from 4 or 5 years ago other than entering waypoints/rout planning. And it's better at spoken and visual directions than many current GPS. Plus, I get traffic and weather on the same map if I want. And all that comes standard on the phone. The set up I have uses Google maps which never need updating - another plus. With most GPS you pay a premium for updates and another premium for traffic and weather plus you have to pay a small fortune for a waterproof GPS that can use those premiums.

I would guess that Google/android/cell phones will be eating Garmins lunch within a year or two for all casual GPS use. It's also just a matter of time before some one develops an app that can fill in the gaps for more complicated GPS uses like rallies and rout planning.

Also the combination of Bubbler GPS and Spotwalla is cell phone specific. It's something that GPS can't do.

One negative that is often discussed but turns out to not be a problem is areas that lack cell coverage. In my experience these areas are also areas that do not have tons of roads. It's not that hard to get around. Congested areas generally have cell coverage. I've also noted that, at least with my phone, it will pick up location info from non specific sources like wireless networks and competing companies cell networks so you get some level of functionality even when you are outside your network.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with the most of the above...

But cell phones are getting better all the time. They are close to what GPS's can do. My Droid Maxx is as good as any GPS from 4 or 5 years ago other than entering waypoints/rout planning. And it's better at spoken and visual directions than many current GPS. Plus, I get traffic and weather on the same map if I want. And all that comes standard on the phone. The set up I have uses Google maps which never need updating - another plus. With most GPS you pay a premium for updates and another premium for traffic and weather plus you have to pay a small fortune for a waterproof GPS that can use those premiums.

I would guess that Google/android/cell phones will be eating Garmins lunch within a year or two for all casual GPS use. It's also just a matter of time before some one develops an app that can fill in the gaps for more complicated GPS uses like rallies and rout planning.

Also the combination of Bubbler GPS and Spotwalla is cell phone specific. It's something that GPS can't do.

One negative that is often discussed but turns out to not be a problem is areas that lack cell coverage. In my experience these areas are also areas that do not have tons of roads. It's not that hard to get around. Congested areas generally have cell coverage. I've also noted that, at least with my phone, it will pick up location info from non specific sources like wireless networks and competing companies cell networks so you get some level of functionality even when you are outside your network.
This is one app that does say you can pre plan routes!

http://copilotgps.com/us/personal/android.asp

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I tried the iPhone nav apps but found the screen is too small, it required me to wear fingerless gloves (not an option below 70 degrees), zooming in and out required two fingers, did not have the voice prompts, took much longer to program and use, and got completely screwed up when the kids sent me a text (of course I don't reply whilst riding).

It sounds ideal to have one piece of technology to do all your work but dedicated devices do work so much better. My Zumo 660 is perfect and I've had Garmin replace it two times (for $100 a pop) after I broke it. Break your cellphone and see what AT&T or Verizon, or whomever, says to you. Garmin never made me sign a two year contract when I needed my Zumo repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I have a good friend who uses his cell phone. I just bought a Garmin 2797. My biggest problem w/ the phone is screen size and being able to read it. If I could see it adequately, I may use my phone. It does all I really need done, but then, I don't plan my routes.

As to the phone call interruption, a valid point. I know if you put the iPhone on airplane mode, it won't ring. Will it still get GPS info? (I suspect it shows how little I use that feature.)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a good friend who uses his cell phone. I just bought a Garmin 2797. My biggest problem w/ the phone is screen size and being able to read it. If I could see it adequately, I may use my phone. It does all I really need done, but then, I don't plan my routes.

As to the phone call interruption, a valid point. I know if you put the iPhone on airplane mode, it won't ring. Will it still get GPS info? (I suspect it shows how little I use that feature.)
good points! will have to check air plane mode out! for screen size I have new note3 5 inch screen,,& i think the app I posted above may work for route planning

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I use them both! I use the gps to get me to a town then, usually, during dinner I use kayak to book a hotel. Back on the bike I set the phone on the gps window on the wing and use it to get to the hotel. Forget trying to program in the address in the wings gps when its easier to ask Suri to do it.
+1 I like the oem gps to get me to an area, but i let siri on the iphone guide me to a specific address. you can do a full route plan in apps like copilot, it also gives you alternate route.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok Just for information I contacted copilot . Asked them if using app on android cell phone would a phone call interrupt the navigation they stated no it should not!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Same here except I use Cortana.

·
Registered
698 Posts
copilot app

Definitely getting close...but not quite.

One of the advantages of the cell phone/android/google set up is that the maps are as current as google maps and you get weather and traffic. Copilot app runs on it's own maps and if you want traffic it's extra $. I am not looking for something with the same disadvantages as Garmin, rather, something that works with all the native features on the cell phone.

All that said, cell phones are catching up to stand alone GPSs quickly. It's just a matter of time before Garmin is relegated to specialty uses.

I figure it's just a matter of time before some one builds an app that extends the utility of the android/google functionality. At this point Google could kill off Garmin in a heartbeat...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts