GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI first post here.

I have a satilite radio hooked up to AUX. port, always on. My GPS has an external jack , I was wondering if the gps can also be hooked up at the same time and have the gps overide the sat. radio when giving voice commands. I am actually wanting to build something not wanting to buy some expensive adapter, if thats even possible.

Thank You Tom

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
If they are both going thru the aux side of the bike and spliced together you will have to have one turned off to run the other. What you need is a single or dual cellset from Kennedy systems which hooks both together thru a small mixer and prioritizes one signal over the other. Kennedy are good folks and will help you with what you want to do.
http://www.cellset.com/Motorcycleitems.html

However, the better way is to run your XM thru the Aux by it's self and run GPS, radar detector thru the intercom side of the bike, also using the Kennedy system. This way you will always have your signals in the intercom even if you run XM, AM or FM on the Stereo side of the bike. Cheers... :doorag:

One extra wrench in the works. If you want to run an Ipod you run that thru the Aux side also using a Kennedy Cellset. :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stick

I'm not sure but i'm guessing if I ran the gps through the intercom I would need to wear a head set. Is that correct ?? If so i'm not that interested in getting that involved, not that important. Please help clear that up.

Thank You Tom

·
Registered
755 Posts
Gps

+1 on the Kennedy suggestion above. You need to patch the GPS into the intercom system..that way it overrides the music, temporarily lowers the volume, and announces the GPS data. I run a ham radio patched into the intercom. Note that using this setup the GPS will announce to the helmet, not the speakers. If you have the music coming to the helmet, it will mute it there and announce GPS. If the music is on the speakers, you will just hear the GPS in the helmet.

Good luck.

kg5ie

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Thanks Stick

I'm not sure but I'm guessing if I ran the gps through the intercom I would need to wear a head set. Is that correct ?? If so I'm not that interested in getting that involved, not that important. Please help clear that up.

Thank You Tom
You are correct. The signals going to the intercom are heard thru the headset. However, my Radar detector still chirps by itself and I can still read the GPS. So without a helmet you can still get the info. However, my head aint that hard so I have my helmet on. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I do wear a full face just don't have a head set in it, and I crank the music on the speakers. It drowns out the GPS. I was just thinking out loud if there was an easy way to override the speakers.

Tom

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
There's no 'easy' way to do this without using some sort of prioritized audio switcher or a passive mixer that will allow you to connect the audio output of your two devices without loading or damaging either one.

The Kennedy AuxSwitchSet system will allow you to do what you're trying to do - electronically switch the single AUX input connection from the satellite radio to the GPS when it speaks and then back again when it's done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts