GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to install a power cord for my GPS mounted to my handlebars, and I was wondering if there is a recommended place on the 06 GL1800 to attach the power cord for electrical power.
sunshineman6869

·
Registered
272 Posts
I tapped into the "under the left fairing cubby" outlet. Pulled the cubby out, soldered in a junction and ran the wiring around and under the steering. I later moved the wiring to a new location when I installed the Vent Mount for the GPS.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Assuming the wiring is the same as my "01, I connected the GPS to the wire(s) under the left pocket that is for the optional accessory (cigar lighter type) plug.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Does this GPS need 12vdc or a usb 5vdc ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Zumo cradles that I've had all had long enough cables that I ran them back to the accessory screws at the fuse panel next to the battery. These contacts are hot only when the key is on or in accessory.

Reactions: Big_Bird

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have 2 Garmin's, they use 12VDC

I have had 4 garmin gpss and all work off of 5vdc but come with 12vdc adapters. Even my Zumo 590 works off of 5vdc but the cradle steps the 12vdc down for the zumo.

My 2 Nuvi 265s and my nuvi 3790 were all powered by the 10amp 5vdc power supply I have built into my wing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have my Garmin plugged into the 12v socket in my left cubby via USB connector. I plugged a compact USB three way splitter into the 12V plug. One for the Garmin, one for my iPhone charging, one for my Bluetooth connection. Works great.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I like the aux post in the terminal box, but the connector under the left pocket for optional OEM 12V socket will work. That latter one is on a 5A fuse, I think, so be careful if you load it up with a GPS and a cig plug that feeds a few things.

I was tempted to cut the cig plug thing off my nuvi and wire in directly, just because of the bulk if it. But the circuits to step down the 12v to 5v are in the back end of that big probe, so I couldn't without issue. I wound up soldering leads on to the probe's contacts and stuffed it in there somewhere.

Some of the zumos come with a 12v pigtail so you don't have to screw around with that. But be sure you've got one before you cut that voltage gonculator out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts