GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!
Working on my planning for my Trans Canadian ride in June. Already figured out I have to get the Candian edition of Mapsource.

My question is, will I have to load the Canada maps on a seperate memory cartridge if I want US maps also?

Haven't played with my SPIII, as I bought it since I've been deployed, and currently have a GPS V. Not sure who the map loading works. But it seems to me that you wouldn't be able to load the maps fromt wo different programs onto one data cartridge.

Just wanting to know if I need to buy a new cartridge now.

Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
263 Posts
The maps are pretty easy to install. The cards are pretty expensive but might not be a bad idea if you really need all that distance. If you have use of a computer you could prob do it on the road.

I use my spIII all the time. I have a garmem marine gps too and that great as well.

I would bet you will have to have both on separate cards. There may be a way to burn a cd of the maps and then just download to the card.?? I'll try it this weekend

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mike, no you dont need to load separate cards for the u.s. or canada..you can mix em up if you want to. However, it would make for better user control if you loaded Canada onto one card without mixing..saves ya looking up wihether you have those map sets loaded or not. I put canada on one..and u.s. on another just for inventory control.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just made a deal on a 64 meg card (Thanks Sam! And to Jon for tipping me!)

The US version has most of what I need, just not the farthest east area. So I hope to be able to load what I need for Halifax on the 64 meg card, then all the areas I want in the US on the 128. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mike, if you can get a hold of the canadian navigator...you will be better off. gives much more details on the maps than without. There are a number of known bad issues using city navigator and not the canadian version..how do I know this?...ummmm...went there and found out...plus routing on city navigator for some canadian areas sucks big time using map source with the canadian mapping. city navigator really gives you limited mapping capabilites and auto routing capabilities. Plus, you get ALL of canada..not just a portion of it. Next time I go to canada..which may be this summer, I will purchase the canadian version..something like $80 on web sites.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robert Schilling said:
Mike, if you can get a hold of the canadian navigator...
Already ordered one :)

Just wondering about the issues with trying to load maps from both the US & Canada versions. I guess that was my original question.

I will be riding through Seattle, then up to Vancouver to do the TC to Hallifax. Then head south, do the tourist thing around NY for a few days, then head west.

Having not played with the SPIII at all, and not having played with the two versions of Mapsource, and not having played with swapping memory, since my GPS V ddn't have that capability, I'm hoping one of y'all out there have been there and done all that, and can tell me how it all works! :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
u can mix the map sets on your data card..no problem...just make sure u use the right map source when u do...u can change it ya know ..the different versions.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert Schilling said:
u can mix the map sets on your data card..no problem...just make sure u use the right map source when u do...u can change it ya know ..the different versions.
cool, that's what I was hoping!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts