GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a Street pilot III or the new 2610 gps. My question is...........is there any way to jack the voice prompts through the
system into the headphones? :roll: I wear a full face helmet,so I would think it
would be kinda hard to hear,otherwise. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What Bulldog said!! :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Mike Winegar said:
How hard of an install is this? :shock:
It is pretty much plug & play. You've got to run power to it, and then it connects in line with your intercom cable.

Also allows you to hook your cell phone in to the intercom.

Or you can just get the GPSSet, which just does the GPS.

Installs under the right fairing pocket, and then you just run the GPS input to wherever you plan on putting your GPS and you are good to go.

Pretty simple job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi mike,

there's another way to connect the gps to the audio system, I purchased the cable that you can see at this link http://users.skynet.be/dimac.goldwing/gps.htm that allow to use the aux input to cennect the gps to the audio system, after that same as any other audio connected to the aux you can ear the gps voice in the external speakers or in the helmet speakers, this cable reply tha aux connector, so you can still connect your audio device to the aux input.
Here in Europe I found this cable in belgium at http://users.skynet.be/dimac.goldwing/ but sure you can find the same in USA.
The audio plug is for the SPIII but will be easy to adapt it to the new 2610.

Flashing lights

Nicola

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Nicola,

There's a slight difference between the scenario you described and the functionality that the Cellset provides: The cellset allows you to listen to the radio and have the audio source automatically switch over to the GPS/CellPhone/FRS Radio/Radar detector (whichever device you have installed and is actively providing an output signal) and piped into your helmet or speakers through the Intercom system.

If you wire the audio directly into the aux. input, you'll hear nothing until the unit generates an output. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a different application, I believe. :)

In addition, I don't believe that the 2610 has a separate audio output jack like the SPIII does. My understanding is that Garmin is coming out with a power & audio output cable assembly to be able to pick up the voice output signals. You'd need to splice your Aux. input cable into this new one to get the signals to the audio system.

·
Registered
788 Posts
What Jon said. If you plug into the audio AUX plug, all you will hear is the GPS or whatever you've got plugged in. If you use one of the Kennedy products, you will be able to listen to the radio and the GPS will breakin, just like a CB would and then return to listening to the radio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi jon,

I agree with you, in fact I got the cellset too installed and connected to the phone plus the frs set but I preferred the aux option just because you can ear the gps in the external speakers and this allow me to listen also when I'm not wearing the headset helmet.

Lights

Nicola

·
Registered
227 Posts
GPS Audio

Mike

A couple of comments of the GPS installation.

As others have stated if you use the AUX input all you will get is what is put through the AUX.

I have a GPSIII and would'nt leave home without it. On a recent one day ride we came upon a detour that we did not know was there. I stopped and programed the GPSIII to take us around the detour and continued the trip and the re-programing only added 9 miles.

I have not seen the 2610 but understand it is a good unit other than some are having trouble using the touch screen with gloves. Having been around Wingers for a few years I know that "Where there's a Will there's a Way". By now the wiring should be availalbe to run it through the Wing sound system.

The Kennedy Cell system works great and there are two or three different ones depending on what you want to accomplish. I use the Cell Set and have my Cell Phone and GPS currently wired in. Having the Cell Phone work thought the audio system is an added bonus. Can answer without taking eyes off the road or hands off the grips.

There is one additional item I would recommend you install that I think is one of the best buys I have made and that is "Mic-Mutes' with the remote CB control for the "Boss". Like the Cell Set this is an easy install and the instructions with both units are very clear.

The "Mic-Mutes" does require the removing of the seat and I drilled a small 9/32 hole in the bottom of the left passenger arm rest to install the CB control. The "Boss" can now answer the phone, backset drive when the GPS talks, use the CB without punching me to hold down the switch, and tap the CB to turn off the intercom when she wants to shut me up.

Ron Looney

1 - 10 of 10 Posts