GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
Before Christmas I plan to order a new 07 GL1800 airbag model, but I like to ask a few questions who make the GPS unit on the GL1800, is it a Garmin, if so which model, how do I upgrade it with new firmware, and is it possibly to connect my laptop to the GPS unit.

Poul

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It is made by Garmin, but it is a custom unit, very similar to what's included in on-board automotive units.

There has been reports of some people updating the map data on their own, but Honda/Garmin have not released an official upgrade package (either maps or firmware) yet.

No, it's not currently possible to connect the on-board Navi unit to a computer (there are no tracks saved, and there is no ability to pre-plan routes off the bike).

Congratulations on your upcoming Christmas present! :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don't know anything about the built in nav system but welcome to the forum. You will love the GL1800. Ride safe. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
GL1800 Nav System

My experience with the GL1800 Nav system is that it is very limiting for what you pay for it. The Gold Wing is a touring bike and therefore the GPS should be designed to accomodate riders who tour. At a minimum there should be a USB port that connects to a laptop or a slot for a compact flash memory to load trip information. Multiple routes should also be supported as almost invaribly a tourning biker will have multiple routes or change routes as he travels.

As it is the Honda GPS is basically a system that you program for a one time trip. It works fairly nice for these kinds of trips but even then it has it's oddities. I called Honda and asked them how am I supposed to program a trip that takes me throughout the US as I didn't want to have to sit on the bike at a Motel parking lot each night and program in where I want to go the next day. They were supposed to get back with me but never did.

I don't know if the system was designed well enough to accept future upgrades to both the hardware and firmware. If it is hopefully Honda/Garmin will provide upgrades that will equal in function/features some of the stand alone units that Garmin now offers for motorcycles. Right now I'm not happy with the GPS unit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
CB radio

Gee if I'd only known that I would have gotten that CB for free. Couldn"t wait though, had to spend the money before the SO found some other pressing issue save it for. Ihave really enjoyed the experiences since Mar 2, delivery day. Tom

·
Registered
657 Posts
New 07

Poul, the onboard GPS that Honda has on the Gold Wing is a great unit as far as I'm concerned, does what I want it to do, is integrated, great 7 inch screen and I don't need "directions" from the audio (they are provided on the screen if you need them) and it (the audio for the GPS) can be turned off.

There may be one problem as I see you are from Denmark. I would hope that the Wing has Europe maps preloaded into the GPS. If it doesn't, don't know what to tell you but there are several on the board from the UK and elsewhere in Europe that have gotten around this.

You will also enjoy the heated seats and gloves that come with this unit and I think for your version ABS is standard.

Note that if you are a power user of the GPS the one on the Gold Wing will more than likely not make you happy, but from what I've seen on the GPS board, there isn't much to make them happy anyway (screens to small, not lit up at night enough, not water proof, screens degrading or going out, returns for defects and on and on), but if that is your type of use you may want to look at the GPS forum and get input from that, it is pretty eye opening and informative, in its way, to say the least.

About the only shortcoming I would find with the NAV GPS unit is no real time weather availability and that is a problem with most of the after market GPS units as well. Usually you have to have an XM subscription to be able to get it and not sure if that is available in Europe or not.

Good luck and whatever you get enjoy it, it's a motorcycle, ride it.
Dennis

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the last 3 or 4 years I have used a Garmin SP3, SP2610 and SP2720 on my GL1500 and I was very fun on that. A couple of times every year Garmin have a firmware update on these GPS, and I wonder if this is the same for the onboard GPS on the GL1800.

In Denmark we have a long winter, and I like in the dark winter evenings to sit in with my computer and make the routes for the next season’s trip across Europe. On my Garmin sp2720 I have loaded a lot of my ovn POI’s.

It is my plan to buy the GL1800 in the US and bring it back with me to Denmark.
On the Goldwing we can buy in Denmark it is not possibly to put on the original CB-radio, it is a different wire harness on the European version, and this is why I want the US version.

I know a guy, who knows another guy which can change the US maps, to the European maps so this should not be a problem.

If there should be a little problem with my English I hope you would understand.

Poul

·
Registered
657 Posts
06 NAV may not be for you

Poul, based on what you said about planning next's rides around Europe, you probably would be better off just getting a base model Wing (disadvantage there is that you would not get the comfort package:heated seats, grips, and foot warmers) and adding the GPS you currently have. This will also mean that you do not get the ABS either. So it is up to you. There are a lot of Gold Wing owners who have bought the NAV package (with or without the ABS) that have added a second GPS on the handlebars for the very reason you mentioned and in that context it may be a good buy for you and you would have the NAV system on the Wing for your basic needs and the other GPS for trip planning and whatever.
Good luck in what ever you do. So in case I didn't make it clear, the NAV system as is on the Wing does not have a input where you can load or download your routes to a computer/laptop. And so far an official "update" has not been offered.
Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts