GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, since this is my first post I have to say I have been lurking on this site for almost a year. I used to ride all of the time but had been out of it for a few years but reading the ride trip reports I got bit by the bug again. So I bought a new 07 Goldwing with abs but haven't been able to ride it much due the weather. Anyway here is my problem beside the winter weather. I was in my garage (with the heater on) sitting on the bike making motorcycle sounds playing with the GPS and did a search for Starbucks. It showed there were 2400+ of them in the GPS's database. I then selected them to display the closest one and my GPS /computer rebooted. I tried it 3 more times and it rebooted everytime. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Being in your garage would be a problem. The GPS needs a clear view of the sky for it to lock onto your location. I bet if you moved the bike out in the clear opening away from the garage it would work just fine.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have an iWay500c. Had that kind of problem while using the unit in my truck on a trip over Thanksgiving. When I got home I called Lowrance and was told that it had probably just gotten locked up. The tech told me (as best as I can recall) to press and hold the power and volume buttons simultaneously until the unit rebooted. His suggestion worked but there were a couple of more things I had to do which I do not remember.

My suggestion would be to call the company that made the unit you have and ask for some help. Hope this works.

Todd

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
BlueWing said:
Being in your garage would be a problem. The GPS needs a clear view of the sky for it to lock onto your location. I bet if you moved the bike out in the clear opening away from the garage it would work just fine.
If that GPS is designed to reboot whenever it can't see the sky
... it would be a FIRST in the industry.

I think there must be something else going on.

Does it do the same thing when searching for the nearest gas station etc.
... or just Starbucks?

Dennis

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should have mentioned this before but this is the built in navigation system that came with the bike. I tried it outside and it did the same thing. I have had it find other things and it did not have any problems. It seems to me to be the number of Starbucks has something to do with it. I tried Mcdonalds and it said 11500 found. When I hit the button to display a list it rebooted too.

·
Registered
737 Posts
gregsc12

I have a 2007 ABS and I just tried a search for Starbucks. It found
2492 of them and my GPS re-booted when I searched for the closest.
Thought you'd like to know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray N. said:
gregsc12

I have a 2007 ABS and I just tried a search for Starbucks. It found
2492 of them and my GPS re-booted when I searched for the closest.
Thought you'd like to know.
Thank you!! I am sorry to hear you have a problem but at least I know its not just me. I bet it is a software bug. When the snow and ice melts off of the roads up here I will take mine in and see if there is a fix.

·
Registered
42 Posts
GO BACK to the dealer Had a problem at first with my 06 Honda replaced the CARD and the GPS New card fixed all have been very happy for past year+

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have an 06 Nav and it does the same thing as well. I also notice that when I list Starbucks it lists the main 2492, then it lists 4, then 186 and so on... If I choose anything but the 2492 all is well. Still shouldn't reboot... I have version 4.2.

Willy

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
floridawing1 said:
GO BACK to the dealer Had a problem at first with my 06 Honda replaced the CARD and the GPS New card fixed all have been very happy for past year+
Thanks, I was hoping that it would be an easy fix. I need my caffeine!!!!! I wonder why they don't just put in the fixed software right from the start.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Has anyone other than the one guy who said they replaced the CF card gotten the rebooting problem fixed. If so can you please tell me what they did. My dealer is trying to frind out from Honda and they gave him some documentation about the GPS locking up... Anyways, when I go into the diagnostic screen, it show the abnormal reboot and the error code. I tried to give it to garmin and I heard was call honda... It is not ours.

Thanks

Willy

·
Registered
273 Posts
The error is:
abnormal powerdown (abbreviated on the screen)

Watch Dog Timeout
Called Wait:0x6f
In Wait: 0xfffffdff
Notified: 0x0

Willy

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry for the numerous posts but: I called the Garmin number for Honda Nav systems, they transfered me the the Garmin Auto division, explained the problem and the great Garmin rep says, don't do that and the GPS won't reboot. I asked " are you serious?" and he says "yes". I asked why no other Garmin products do that and he then said please contact Honda... So much for Garmin service...

Willy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts