GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what gps works great on bikes . i have a nuvi . but when you zoom out you see crap , no towns rivers . very few roads . . the detail is soo poor . but if i put in my wisconsin snowmobile trail chip i can see things :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Zooming out will do that, zooming IN will give you greater detail. I know what you're talking about, I have 4 Garmin's, and the road and town details like you're talking about is just the same. I wish that Garmin would update their software to at least give you the option of showing town and river names, if nothing else. Another thing that I wish GARMIN would do is give you the option of turning on or off the "upcoming intersection" notification. You know when you're driving along and the next intersection is shown in the top bar. And another thing I wish GARMIN would do is ......well, I could go on for a while, but all in all, I like GARMIN's or I wouldn't own 4 or 5 of them. :thumbup:
Steve F

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gps recommendatios

Im interested in an inexpensive unit that will allow me to download routes from mapsource & S.T. Doesn't have to be waterproof, have mp3 player. also can someone give me a website of units that will download these routes. thanks, Tinny

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
If you want live weather update-Zumo 665
If not-Zumo 550

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Zooming out will do that, zooming IN will give you greater detail. I know what you're talking about, I have 4 Garmin's, and the road and town details like you're talking about is just the same. I wish that Garmin would update their software to at least give you the option of showing town and river names, if nothing else. Another thing that I wish GARMIN would do is give you the option of turning on or off the "upcoming intersection" notification. You know when you're driving along and the next intersection is shown in the top bar. And another thing I wish GARMIN would do is ......well, I could go on for a while, but all in all, I like GARMIN's or I wouldn't own 4 or 5 of them. :thumbup:
Steve F
If you view your route in 3D, you don't get a upcoming turn pane.

I got a 665 and think it's great. 2012 Mapsource, radar, bluetooth to the cellphone, and we really like the audible book reader. Once you figure out Mapsource it's 10 times what Goggle maps is.

However, it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Garmin 765t, absolutely the best GPS. It has Bluetooth, MP3, can receive routes from S&T2011, not waterproof, but I can assure that is inconsequetial (we did a 4,200 mile trip on our trike with my765t on the handlebars through rain and hail-no problem). I use a cheap shower cap as waterproofing.
Available refurbished(has new warranty from Garmin) from Ebay for less than $110.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Nuvi...0569502853?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item2c5ed3d885
Without fear of contradiction, I can assure you this is the best GPS I have ever owned.
We are in the midst of a 9 week, 10,000 mile car trip and the 765t has led the way every step.
This unit is awesome!

·
Registered
818 Posts
what gps works great on bikes . i have a nuvi . but when you zoom out you see crap , no towns rivers . very few roads . . the detail is soo poor . but if i put in my wisconsin snowmobile trail chip i can see things :thumbup:
I'm assuming you have the detail level set to high. I'm also assuming you have more than just the base maps installed on your GPS. The North America map set should give you more detail than you are describing, but again that depends on the zoom level. I don't think it is any different with the Zumo series either. I guess it is a necessity of the technology to reduce the detail level. I haven't seen any units that keep the detail level as you zoom out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts