GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GPS indicates most secondary roads with a "Road" or "Street" name as opposed to the actual Route Number for that same road.

I'm referring to the display at top of screen telling what route I'm traveling on, not the names showing on the actual map showing on the screen.

I'm using a Garmin GPSMAP60Cs. I'm wondering if this is unique to this model GPS or do other GPS models also use the local road name to indicate the route being traveled on.

I can be traveling on a clearly marked Route 100, but the display at top of screen will say something like “Traveling NW on Bay Shore road.” It will not indicate the route number, just the local name. Most times that name is never posted on any signs, just the route number.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That's true of the Honda GPS as well.

I can't read the foute numbers a lot of the time without bifocals.

Need to find some bifocal sun glasses.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I guess it all boils down to preference. The Lowrance products speak the Route number instaed of street name. I'm not aware of any selection that will change it.

I guess it's just what each manufacturer thought the public would want.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GPS Routes

I just find it irritating to be on a road clearly marked with a route number which dosen’t have a road name displayed anywhere.
Over several miles I would go through several towns. Each time I get into a different town the GPS shows a different road name, but no street/road names anywhere to be seen. Just route numbers.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Does it show the Route name when between towns, I'm thinking mine does?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mp3

Weengers

The map shows a route # on the roads displayed.

The text box at top of display lists the road currently being traveled on. That is where the road/street names are shown.
However there are no street/road signs showing those road names unless actually in a city/town proper.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
For the iWay 500c, I'm not sure of the rules of the names on the display. However, if you have it enabled, the text box gives all the names for the road you're on.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Don Swanburg said:
That's true of the Honda GPS as well.

I can't read the foute numbers a lot of the time without bifocals.

Need to find some bifocal sun glasses.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks
Hey Don, you might want to check out this site.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

On the left, hold your pointer on Safety Glasses, and in the drop down box, click on bifocal & reading glasses. In most brands you can get clear, amber, and dark. These are industrial ANSI approved safety glasses.
I have the Klondike brand that I wear at work in the mine. I have both the amber and dark and they're great. I no longer have to carry reading glasses to work with me, and they'd work just as well while riding.
The lenses are like any other sun glasses, just safety, with the little bifocal magnifier like any other bifocal glasses. I love mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts