GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to "upload" a route from Garmin Mapsource and/or Microsoft STreets & Trips Software to the Honda GPS unit? Can I put the trip on the CF card and access if from the built in GPS?:?:

I have updated my 2007 Honda GPS to the latest version from info on this board. Thanks all.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nope. You can let it compute a route and then insert extra stops between here and there. It's a pain and many have added Garmins in addition to the factory GPS.
If you want to do stretches of particular roads, a highlighted tank map is easier.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I Wish

Is there a way to "upload" a route from Garmin Mapsource and/or Microsoft STreets & Trips Software to the Honda GPS unit? Can I put the trip on the CF card and access if from the built in GPS?:?:

I have updated my 2007 Honda GPS to the latest version from info on this board. Thanks all.
There is no way to do this. I added my Zumo550 I've had for years to the Wing for my detailed navigation, and I use the NAVI (with the last available map update) for the "big picture" view.

Honda needs to let Garmin do a total 3P makeover on the NAVI, including a touch screen. JMHO.

For those of you who disagree--God Bless Free Speech--please save the post space--I've read all the "read the manual" and "I love my NAVI" testimonies and "you're spoiled with your Zumo" rants. We all have our favorite GPS devices; I make no bones about mine being the Zumo.

Ain't America Great?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Importing a route is the one feature I really miss on the built in Nav. I force routes by first figuring out the route on google map and then find waypoints that I can input into the Honda Nav. This works Ok and I've gotten better at it with time. I'm looking at adding a Garmin unit and specifically the Nuvi 550 which is waterproof and I believe but not absolutely sure that it will accept routes imported from a pc.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'll be taking my Lowrance to Kentucky with me in a couple of weeks. I needed to put in some GPS coordinances, and low and behold, the Honda Navi does not have that option. Just ordered a 12 volt outlet for the trunk, so the wife can use it and direct me.

It'll make her feel important.:lol:

Oh, and after fighting the touch screen on the Lowrance, I kinda like the Honda system for typing in an address. Far easier for me.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There is no way to do this. I added my Zumo550 I've had for years to the Wing for my detailed navigation, and I use the NAVI (with the last available map update) for the "big picture" view.

Honda needs to let Garmin do a total 3P makeover on the NAVI, including a touch screen. JMHO.

For those of you who disagree--God Bless Free Speech--please save the post space--I've read all the "read the manual" and "I love my NAVI" testimonies and "you're spoiled with your Zumo" rants. We all have our favorite GPS devices; I make no bones about mine being the Zumo.

Ain't America Great?

No desire to be argumentative. I do, however, have a couple of questions, by way of furthering my education. I have an 08 Wing with Navi, and I have a Zumo 550 which I used on my BMW until I sold it. I find the GPS operation of both these units to be almost identical (other than touch screen vs. directional arrows to move the screen), but I might be missing something. Other than speed, altimeter....what GPS specific capabilities are you using on the Zumo that the Navi does not have? (I realize XM and MP3, etc)

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's Just the Interface

No desire to be argumentative. I do, however, have a couple of questions, by way of furthering my education. I have an 08 Wing with Navi, and I have a Zumo 550 which I used on my BMW until I sold it. I find the GPS operation of both these units to be almost identical (other than touch screen vs. directional arrows to move the screen), but I might be missing something. Other than speed, altimeter....what GPS specific capabilities are you using on the Zumo that the Navi does not have? (I realize XM and MP3, etc)
Don't get me wrong; I'm not slamming the NAVI capabilities, just the interface. My biggest dislike of the NAVI is the keyboard (that whacky right-panel location) and the lack of an ability to download pre-planned routes from MapSource.

The NAVI is very powerful, but I find it cumbersome to use that compass-rose and enter button while looking at the NAVI screen. I planned 200-mile trip a few weeks ago with a few waypoints along the way (to force the specific route I wanted) and it took a while having to look back and forth between the screen and the keypad. [My wife borrowed my Zumo for another purpose, so I was forced to use the NAVI exclusively.]

I like the Zumo for its touchscreen interface and ability to hook to my PC for pre-programmed routes. I do a lot of input on the fly as well on the Zumo, so I like the fact that I can watch my fingers on the screen pushing buttons, not going back and forth from screen to keyboard to screen to keyboard, etc.

Now, if Honda would make the screen on the NAVI a touchscreen and allow me to download pre-planned routes, I'll sing the praises of the NAVI. Right how, it's just an extra option I had to get when I bought an ABS model.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thanks, I understand where you're coming from. Every factory installed GPS I have ever worked with has similar capabilities and programming features like the Navi. I guess that is why it does not bother me as much. I was not able to get the Zumo to accept much from my PC either. My wife's Mercedes, coincidentally, will accept routes from the PC via google maps by telemetry via the Mercedes version of Onstar. It also programs by voice command.......wish the Wing had that.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Other than speed, altimeter....what GPS specific capabilities are you using on the Zumo that the Navi does not have? (I realize XM and MP3, etc)
  • Create routes on my PC and upload them to my GPS.
  • Save traveled routes (tracks) and share them with M/C club members.
  • Load M/C/ club routes into GPS prior to group rides.
  • Link to my cellular phone. Allows me to screen incoming calls and talk with helmet on when parked.
  • Switch between mile per hour and kilometers per hour.
  • View trip statistics such as max speed, average speed, time moving, time standing still and more.
  • Create POIs, including audio notes that play when you reach a POI.
  • Start riding immediately after starting bike. No waiting for GPS to load.
  • See GPS screen, even in bright sunlight.
  • View GPS screen with minimal eyesight diversion from road.
  • Reload previously ridden and saved routes.
  • Reduced poor or lost signal interruptions.
  • Easier route and services selection.
  • Lifetime map updates (4 times per year) for less than $100.
  • Use GPS and stored data on multiple vehicles
  • Expandable memory
I could probalbly think of several more if it I had not given up on using my built-in Honda GPS two years ago in favor of using only my Zumo. This is my second Navi Goldwing and on current one I installed my Zumo on the dealer's lot before starting my 1600 mile ride home. Like many others, the only reason I would have bought the Honda Navi is it's forced on buyers wanting ABS.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for your input. I've found I can force routes by adding additional intersections or towns, like others. I too, would like to download routes from the pc and recover "tracks" taken on group rides.
Ride safe...:cool:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Beautiful Summary!!

• Link to my cellular phone. Allows me to screen incoming calls and talk with helmet on when parked.
  • View trip statistics such as max speed, average speed, time moving, time standing still and more.
  • Expandable memory
I could probalbly think of several more if....
My sentiments EXACTLY. Most of these are "interface" attributes that are better than the on-board NAVI. Of course, the built-ins have certain limitations, but some are inexcusable, like to inability to download pre-programmed routes from MapSource.

I'll stick to my Zumo550 for my navigating needs; the NAVI is an expensive picture of a where-I'm-at moving map as far as I'm concerned. I guess those who exclusively use the NAVI don't know what they're missing, or choose to do so. Hey, there are a lot of people out there who still don't use a computer. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
  • Expandable memory

Wish I had the second point. None of the rest really matter to me. I do know "what I'm missing" (since I have a Zumo 550), and I do quite well on a computer, thank you. YMMV.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wish I had the second point. None of the rest really matter to me. I do know "what I'm missing" (since I have a Zumo 550), and I do quite well on a computer, thank you. YMMV.
hlothery: Didn't mean you didn't know what you're missing, as I read that you had a 550 in your original post. It's the folks who have used only the NAVI and nothing else. They go ballistic over reviews like this. I was intending that comment for them, not you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Understand. Differing viewpoints can be quite interesting, can't they? Hope you like your Zumo.....I use mine frequently now in my car. I do miss the altimeter, though.....that was neat!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts