GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question used to get asked a lot. Not sure what the latest poop is, but.....I have a 2012 Wing that I would like to get updated with the latest GPS software. Has anyone else bought the new memory card from this site? Honda Gold Wing's Navi Map Update (2012-2017) Does it work? Is it worth it? Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have an 08 (second owner) and one of the first things I did was update the GPS software (for like 100 bucks). I have bought a lot of things for the bike and I not regretted any of them. I regret buying the update. Now maybe the '12 is different....but it was totally a waste of time for me. I use a dedicated GPS (or the ole phone). Wayyyyy easier to use and as far as my Garmin goes...you get free updates on the maps

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 08 (second owner) and one of the first things I did was update the GPS software (for like 100 bucks). I have bought a lot of things for the bike and I not regretted any of them. I regret buying the update. Now maybe the '12 is different....but it was totally a waste of time for me. I use a dedicated GPS (or the ole phone). Wayyyyy easier to use and as far as my Garmin goes...you get free updates on the maps
I understand your point. However, first, I don't have, want, or need a smart phone. So that is not a solution for me. And I paid a lot of extra money when I bought the bike to get the 'built in' GPS, so I don't think I should have to buy a SEPARATE GPS unit that I have to deal with, and worry about it getting stolen from the bike, etc. I'm just trying to find out if the current updated card that Honda is selling for $95 does the job. I don't mind spending the money on the new card if it actually DOES work.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are you looking for a firmware or map update or both ?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a 15. Using honda.trippplanner.com right now. I used it on my 2012 a few times. I can import or export trips. Its handy. I'd be interested in both firmware and map updates.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have fw 2.9 if you need it . I can email it to you .

·
Registered
141 Posts
I understand your point. However, first, I don't have, want, or need a smart phone. So that is not a solution for me. And I paid a lot of extra money when I bought the bike to get the 'built in' GPS, so I don't think I should have to buy a SEPARATE GPS unit that I have to deal with, and worry about it getting stolen from the bike, etc. I'm just trying to find out if the current updated card that Honda is selling for $95 does the job. I don't mind spending the money on the new card if it actually DOES work.
No worries. I just dont think the onboard GPS is very intuitive. Its not easy to use..imo. I do get the smartphone thing. Still..a seperate GPS is wayyy easier than the bikes GPS

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 15. Using tripplanner.honda.com right now. I used it on my 2012 a few times. I can import or export trips. Its handy. I'd be interested in both firmware and map updates.

Are you looking for a firmware or map update or both ?
Umm, I'm guessing both. Certainly need the map update. But what does a firmware update do for me? I'm not clear on that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
PM sent

So I got on trip planner. Planned my trip. Clicked on "Export to GPS " it downloaded to my computer. I moved that download to my H drive which is the removable disk SD card. On the H drive disk is a folder named Garmin. I moved the down loaded trip from downloads on my C drive to the Garmin folder. Take the SD card out to the bike and put it in. No route shows up at all on the routes screen.
What am I doing wrong.

Also, I have 2.9 version firmware loaded on the GPS. Looked it up under system.
Any help would be much appreciated as I have a turn by turn route planned to go from Northern Illinois to Northern Georgia and plan on leaving Early Sunday morning.
How do I get to the screen that is shown in the photo. Or should that be coming up automatically when there is data on the SD card.
Very frustrated right now.
I apologize to the OP for the intrusion. It is GPS related. Hope the answers will help him and myself and others.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are you exporting it as a gpx file ? If not it will not be read by the bikes Nav . Also I have found that to get close to the same route on the bikes nav as you planned on the computer turn off all avoidances on the bikes Nav.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are you exporting it as a gpx file ? If not it will not be read by the bikes Nav . Also I have found that to get close to the same route on the bikes nav as you planned on the computer turn off all avoidances on the bikes Nav.
Yes, it says .gpx in the Garmin file.
Got it. Turn off avoidances once I get it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
sailordeleii
PM sent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts