GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old garmin 550 which is giving up the ghost, so I'm looking at newer ones.
I actually use mine 90% of the time as a digital speedometer because of it's large display page...it has a single page that has a full digital speedometer, with trip info etc, which is easy to see in a glance.
I'm looking at new units but don't see any that have this function anymore. Are there any gps units that still have a larger speedometer display page and not just small ones in the corner? :shrug:

·
Registered
414 Posts
A lot of phone apps do that well. Explore those for your phone perhaps. Then a ram mount and away you go. Unless you want the Garmin for Nav too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great suggestion... I did use an app called "ulysses speedometer" on my android for about a year and it was nice and big, but it drained the phone battery after just an hour (even plugged into power), so I went back to the 550.
I've looked at "bike gps speedometers", but the comments all seem to say they're cheap and dont last long.
Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking thanks

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have an old garmin 550 which is giving up the ghost, so I'm looking at newer ones.
I actually use mine 90% of the time as a digital speedometer because of it's large display page...it has a single page that has a full digital speedometer, with trip info etc, which is easy to see in a glance.
I'm looking at new units but don't see any that have this function anymore. Are there any gps units that still have a larger speedometer display page and not just small ones in the corner? :shrug:
I have a (older) Garmin 1450, screen 4-1/2" x 2-1/2" and gives the speed on 1/2 of the screen so it is in a 2" square, left side of screen.

I have it mounted in front of the wing speedo via a suction to the roof of the dash cowling with a curved arm going to back of GPS, which comes with the GPS. It only blocks the GL speedo which is inaccurate anyway, & cruise which is on all the time.
When GPS is on the direction page it has the small mph in the right hand lower corner. One tap and it is on MPH page.

It is a very cheaply priced GPS, new?, used, or refurbished & easily available. Simple to operate & has what I need to Navigate anywhere.

Been using it for the last 80,000mi. on a 07 wing

May not be what you are looking for but it is out there, many riders still use it. RIDE SAFE!.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Have you considered trying to have it repaired? My 550 is still operational after being repaired by PalmDR.

https://www.palmdr.com

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a (older) Garmin 1450, screen 4-1/2" x 2-1/2" and gives the speed on 1/2 of the screen so it is in a 2" square, left side of screen.

I have it mounted in front of the wing speedo via a suction to the roof of the dash cowling with a curved arm going to back of GPS, which comes with the GPS. It only blocks the GL speedo which is inaccurate anyway, & cruise which is on all the time.
When GPS is on the direction page it has the small mph in the right hand lower corner. One tap and it is on MPH page.

It is a very cheaply priced GPS, new?, used, or refurbished & easily available. Simple to operate & has what I need to Navigate anywhere.

Been using it for the last 80,000mi. on a 07 wing

May not be what you are looking for but it is out there, many riders still use it. RIDE SAFE!.

I'll check it out thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My goldwing has what is called a speedometer. It is easy to read. When it is needle is at +90 degrees, I am at highway speed. At + 135 degrees, city speed. At -45 degrees, at interstate speeds, what else do you need???

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My goldwing has what is called a speedometer. It is easy to read. When it is needle is at +90 degrees, I am at highway speed. At + 135 degrees, city speed. At -45 degrees, at interstate speeds, what else do you need???
thanks for your helpful suggestion.....

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I sure like the way the speed limits are now displayed on my Apple maps. No more looking for speed limit signs.

I wish there was a way to get that info by just selecting a mode like “drive” or something without having to enter a specific route. Maybe there is but I don’t know about it yet.

I never understood why speed limit signs were so infrequent or non existent in some places. I’ve driven for miles and miles not knowing in the past. They should be required to put them on mile markers or something.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I never understood why speed limit signs were so infrequent or non existent in some places. I’ve driven for miles and miles not knowing in the past. They should be required to put them on mile markers or something.
Clearly stated in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) of the United States Department of Transportation.

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2b.htm#section2B13

03 Speed Limit (R2-1) signs, indicating speed limits for which posting is required by law, shall be located at the points of change from one speed limit to another.

04 At the downstream end of the section to which a speed limit applies, a Speed Limit sign showing the next speed limit shall be installed. Additional Speed Limit signs shall be installed beyond major intersections and at other locations where it is necessary to remind road users of the speed limit that is applicable.

05 Speed Limit signs indicating the statutory speed limits shall be installed at entrances to the State and, where appropriate, at jurisdictional boundaries in urban areas.
Clearly noted where they are required. Not one entity is going to do one iota more than the requirement - government is here for for your safety :???:

Thus, it's up to the vehicle operator to note the current speed limit of where they happen to be.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I just returned from riding the Colorado Rockies and used my Apple maps a lot thought the mountains to display speed limits. I was surprised how accurate the program changed the display speed with reference to the signs. They were right on the money..... seems like within feet many times.

I did note an error once of a 35mph speed displayed when the sign read 55mph. I’m guessing someone fat fingered the data entry.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Personally I would stay away from a phone gps for a main source for location and speed . With no cell service and it will not tell u till its to late. West marine and bass pro shop will have a great display and under 200 or 100 you will get a dedicated GPS with its own antenna to the sky.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally I would stay away from a phone gps for a main source for location and speed . With no cell service and it will not tell u till its to late. West marine and bass pro shop will have a great display and under 200 or 100 you will get a dedicated GPS with its own antenna to the sky.
good idea I'll check out bass pro and see what they have thanks

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I saw a post many years ago on the iron butt forums about taking a bicycle computer and mounting it to a motorcycle. They were concerned about accuracy for the odometer. They have speedometers, too.

Those things are cheap and you can find them with a nice large display that will give you the two digit speed. A couple of options available. The cheapest are wired but you probably want to splurge for the wireless so you don't have to worry about shock compression. So maybe $30 instead of $20, IDK. Simple install: just mount a magnet to your wheel, the sending unit somewhere on your fork, and stick the little display somewhere with two sided tape or a little bent sheet metal bracket or such.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My speedo is pretty accurate according to the Garmin-if I consistently add 3 1/2 mph to the indicated amount from 20 mph on up to as fast as I've had it so far.:wink2:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I saw a post many years ago on the iron butt forums about taking a bicycle computer and mounting it to a motorcycle. They were concerned about accuracy for the odometer. They have speedometers, too.
:idea:
Example:

http://www.houseofthud.com/bikecomputer.html

The only detriment that I can see with this setup is the battery life...though some hacking skills could remedy that issue once a person has decided that this is a good idea.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Those things are cheap and you can find them with a nice large display that will give you the two digit speed. A couple of options available. The cheapest are wired but you probably want to splurge for the wireless so you don't have to worry about shock compression. So maybe $30 instead of $20, IDK. Simple install: just mount a magnet to your wheel, the sending unit somewhere on your fork, and stick the little display somewhere with two sided tape or a little bent sheet metal bracket or such.
Ive looked at these on amazon, but the comments usually say they're not very reliable. I'll read the iron butt comments though thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts