GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to use the GPS again to be sure to find the Amazon Drop-off location for a return. It was impossible to give the Amazon "office" as a destination in the GPS. Apparently, the road did not exist as a "findable" street. However, the exact street does show in the map, it really does exist, but you are not going to be able to give anything on that road as a destination. Yes, I did do it correctly..... State, City, Street... no, not that street; no, not that street either; no, not that street either..... I could not spell the street as the letters were just not able to be selected at all. This street has been in existence as that name for a very long time. I had to use my Zumo and not hear anything from it (not hooked up for sound yet). Once I got there, the bike's GPS displayed the street name that I could not route to, and I still could not route to anything one it while I was on that bloody road. I was using the correct spelling of the road name the entire time. Last item, the latest update has been installed on the bike. To me, this GPS is nothing more than a "you are here" locator and is absolutely useless as a routing aid that makes a real GPS functional.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I fully agree that this Honda Harman GPS is outdated POS unit. Honda never gets it, on all my GL1800 with various Garmin based GPS (2006/2010/2013) and now the Harman based (2018) the build in GPS is inferior to the Garmin or TomTom aftermarket units, so I had to install each time a Garmin unit next to the Honda unit to make my type of touring workable on pre-planned on PC routes.

Honda should really adopt what BMW does by using on aftermarket based Garmin units, which can be taken off the bike. In case of BMW, sometimes had the new Zumo type Navigaor even earlier then Garmin itself brought out the newest version. Honda should replace the team who developes the GPS and Audio unit for the motorycles with a competent team. Also the radio on the new GL1833 has very poor reception compared with previous GL1800. No Antenna visible is nice, but hidden antenna without good reception also sucks.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I agree with everything above.

Ironically, my wife has a 2018 Honda CR-V with the touring package and the touch screen GPS is one of the best and easiest I have ever used. Honda knows how to do it right......they just don’t.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I am trying to find work arounds for this GPS. While I have a BMW NAV VI I don't want to lose the capability of carrying water while riding across the desert. The BMW unit would have to mount on the same ball as my water cup does.

·
Registered
616 Posts
To me, this GPS is nothing more than a "you are here" locator and is absolutely useless as a routing aid that makes a real GPS functional.
Yep, I’ve come to the same conclusion as well. Even as a moving map it ain’t great due to terrible color contrasts between the roads and backgrounds on this dang unit. I miss my Harley Road Glide’s GPS so much. Thankfully there is an easy fix: simply mount a Garmin on the bike, which is what I’ll be doing for long trips. Yes it seems silly to mount a GPS on a bike with a built in GPS, but its still the only way to fix the problem which Honda has created, short of using a phone and depending on cel coverage.

Sad, but true.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Basically, it can find addresses, it does not do well searching for places. You have to use your phone to search for the place, then enter the address in the Honda GPS. Just use CarPlay and Google Maps on the bike.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I really really really don't want to hook up my Garmin 595 to the handlebars (and have to wire power, etc etc). I wanted a "all in one" solution, sigh...

I have a big trip to the Smokys in a few weeks and want to give the OEM GPS a try, but dang it you all are making me second guess myself.

·
Registered
454 Posts
One search method I have found that works pretty good. If you are looking for a place that would have a phone. Look up on your phone to find there phone number. Then search by that phone number. Must include 1 with the area code and number. Extra steps to go through, but it works.

Or keep it simple, use CarPlay if you have an iPhone. I know that doesn’t help if your using android.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have problems with it also and have to check Google Maps before I leave the house.
I used it once to go to the City Clerks office to renew a business license.
The office has been in the same spot since 2007 that I know of.
The GPS would not let me put in the address number on the street, but did tell me where the street was.
I knew where I needed to go and when I got to the street, I needed to turn right, but the GPS said to turn left.
I don't know how in the world Honda would allow such a low "base level" GPS on such a flagship as the Goldwing!
They blew that for sure.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yes it seems silly to mount a GPS on a bike with a built in GPS, but its still the only way to fix the problem which Honda has created, short of using a phone and depending on cel coverage.

Sad, but true.
Using two GPS does sound silly until you try it. I live in Oregon and bought a car in Florida a couple of years ago. I flew to Florida to bring home the car and took my Garmin 2797 along just in case. What I found was that it was very handy to use one GPS for directions and the other for a wide overall view.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
28 Posts
bizarre ....one of the reasons I chose the new Wing over a new K1600 last Sept was the technology. Have not used the GPS much yet but I did switch from Android to Apple to try Apple Carplay...I certainly am enjoying the music and wireless capability in the Schuberth C4...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe Honda likes to leave something obvious that needs improvement so you will upgrade to v2 of the bike? Just a thought, as I do not know how otherwise this POS GPS even made it on the bike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I guess I’m not really much of a GPS user, for me it works well, if the street is say West or South sometimes you have to enter just W or S and the street name, it’s not google maps for sure,but I like it integrated into the display and out of the way and not having a GPS hanging off the handle bar or mounted in the way somewhere else. I’m not a person to try and plan every stop for a week and then try and down load it, I pick a few destinations and then I like to find my way as I go, I may change my mind where I’m going at the next gas stop. I have never had a problem myself using it for in town directions, it has worked for me every time and it’s easy to adjust the display zoom to get street names up. I don’t want to try and mess with a small display mounted on the handle bar, I think this works much better. I guess I’m in the minority, I like the integrated GPS. ?

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
130 Posts
I plan on using CarPlay when I end up buying my wing.

My favorite GPS app is “Scenic” - it’s made by one guy who is a motorcycle enthusiast and a good guy who has been really responsive in other forums. It’s taylor-made for motorcycles. He has a brand new significant update coming out soon, and CarPlay support is on his list for a little while after that - so it would work nicely with the Goldwing’s display while my phone is in the cubby. (I have no connection with them - just a happy customer and I have had a lot of discussions with the developer on Adventure Touring discussion boards).

Until then I can probably make-do with the Honda GPS or use CarPlay and Apple or Google maps or Waze - even if going where there is no reception you can sort of manage off-line if you plan ahead.

Although I do kind of like the idea of having my phone *and* the OEM screen as someone mentioned - one to show routing and one to show a zoomed out view of “where am I now”.

Hmm.

Options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
For anyone following along, and interested in learning how to use the gps....

According to the amazon site, the address for returns in downtown San Jose is:

96 E San Fernando St
San Jose, CA, 95113

The gps knows that Main St E is, or might be a different location the E Main St ... and it treats them as different.

So, after being sure that CA is selected for state, the San Jose as City the street can be entered.

Entering (or trying to enter) San Fernando will result in the frustration the @DDL posted about in the original post.

Entering E San Fernando will give the option to select from 3 zip codes that are along the street, including the amazon one 95113

Selecting the one with 95113, gives the option to enter the street number.

Enter 96 and the screen the that @Freyr posted will be the result.

Homework for today is to go out the the bike and try both examples.
You should be able to get both results.

Others, including me, have been caught by not entering the street with the N/S/E/W letter first (if that is how it is used in the street name).

I'm sure there are locations that are not in or are incorrect in the database, but the above example will solve many of the issues.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I guess I’m not really much of a GPS user, for me it works well, if the street is say West or South sometimes you have to enter just W or S and the street name, it’s not google maps for sure,but I like it integrated into the display and out of the way and not having a GPS hanging off the handle bar or mounted in the way somewhere else. I’m not a person to try and plan every stop for a week and then try and down load it, I pick a few destinations and then I like to find my way as I go, I may change my mind where I’m going at the next gas stop. I have never had a problem myself using it for in town directions, it has worked for me every time and it’s easy to adjust the display zoom to get street names up. I don’t want to try and mess with a small display mounted on the handle bar, I think this works much better. I guess I’m in the minority, I like the integrated GPS. ?
same here. its found everything ive asked it to find and taken me there.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts