GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the "easy to use" solution that will get the mother-in-law to a campsite in her RV or resort via her Civic or a scoot down the highway on her full dresser ... RV being the most frequent use ... mini trips would be nice and no techy advise - she can't afford to take me along everytime - lol - thanks!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
make sure whichever one you get has campgrounds as POI's. I don't know how common that is with todays units, but they used to be hard to find.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It sounds like you have a few requirements:
  • Easy to use (no support phone calls desired)
    Weatherproof (for bike operation)
    Easily transportable between RV & bike (need installation solutions for both)
    Deep POI database (easily searchable for campsites preferred)
My initial recommendation based on these needs, sorted by priority would be the new Garmin Zumo.

It is a very easy-to-use, waterproof, easily transportable unit that comes with most of what you need in the box and has enough features for the average GPS buyer. You might need to install a remote antenna for use in the RV, but you won't know how effective the SiRF receiver is in that application until you try it.

Unfortunately, the POI database in the Garmin units is relatively weak, and all lodging types are grouped in one category (you can't search for B&Bs, cabins, campgrounds, etc. like you can with 'other' units). You can search by name if you know exactly what you're looking for, so that might be sufficient.

I've been doing some POI reference searches and there are some POIs that are not in the latest Garmin mapset for whatever reason. For most people, this is a lower-priority item but keep that in mind - having an address for the desired location is always a good fallback plan in case the POI does not show up in their database.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would recommend the discontinued 2730 which can still be found alot cheaper than the Zumo and has most of the same featurs including some that the Zumo doesn't have and it is waterproof and I use it in my car all the time and it is great.

Do a Froogle Search and you will find it for about $900.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
For a first-time (non-techie) user, the Zumo is easier to operate and has less features to get lost in.

Considering that you're going to have to buy extra mounting and wiring solutions to install it on the bike, you're still better off with the Zumo (IMHO).

BTW, the price on the Zumo is $780 (or lower) but you'd have to add the XM receiver to be truly comparitive. Since he didn't mention music/XM as a necessity, I didn't include that in my recommendation but it can obviously be added if desired.

·
Registered
91 Posts
easy gps

For $150, you can have my Garmin e Trex Legend C handheld and city navigator software. It's brand new. I won it last week at a bike show. The value from the discount websites is $251 for the unit and $126 for the software. All with a RAM mount for $150.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts