GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the GPS more and more and found a problem.
It tells me to turn too soon.
For example, I am riding home and I have to go down a street about 1/4 mile and then turn left.
It will say that when I turn onto the street.
Then when I get about half way down the street it says "in so many yards turn left on such and such street".
Then it will say "Turn left now".
I can't turn left there, I am in the middle of a block, there are houses there.
Now I know why I ended up on a Fire road when I first got the bike.
I was riding in an unfamiliar city and it said turn right. So I did.
It said in so many yards turn left onto such and such street.
I didn't pay much attention to how far I was supposed to go before turning left since I was watching for traffic.
Then it said 'Turn left now!".
So I looked left and saw what I thought was a road and turned up it to only find myself on an emergency vehicle access road going to a hospital.
I then had to try and turn around on the sidewalk without riding over the bushes.
I realize now it told me to turn before I was even at the intersection.
Any ideas how to correct this?

·
Registered
470 Posts
It would need a software update from Honda to fix it. I've noticed the same thing. FWIW, my RAM 1500 Nav does the same thing. You have to watch exactly what street it's telling you to turn on, especially in urban settings where the streets are close together.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I personally don't like the GPS to talk to me, so I turn down the volume and just scan the map as I approach turns.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I didn't do the first two updates. I finally did the third. I noticed this minutes after the update. Don't know if I just never noticed it before but don't think so. GPS is off on some addresses too.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
My Garmin does the same thing, I haven't used the bike yet with the new update so I don't know if it is the same or worst.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I've found that to be a very common GPS trait.

Get your attention so you know instructions are comming.
Then tell you how far till the event. (and maybe street/road name)
Then probably a final instruction to turn.

Then a 'recalculate' after I miss it anyway:oops:

Since each one seems to be a little different, I find it's helps to spend some time using one to give instructions in an area I'm are familiar with to learn how it will behave.
Kinda like slightly different signage techniques in different areas we travel in.

(between built-in's and portables, somewhere around 8 or 9 different ones over last 15 years)

·
Registered
419 Posts
GPS is slow while driving slow, I think there is a slow limit of movement it can see, 1/4 mile at 10mph is tough for it to follow and may think you are doing 25.
But then again it is POTL.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I was riding and I knew I had to go two blocks and turn right on the way to get to the business I was going to.
As soon as I passed the first block it told me to turn right.
If I would have not known where I was going, and turned right into the next available driveway I would have ended up in a shopping center looking for a business that wasn't even there.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i rely more on the screen than the voice. i look at the street name and approx distance on the GPS then scan the streets for the street name

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
You simply can NOT just LISTEN for the directions. You must also look at the screen. My TomTom is the same way. If I were to only listen to my TomTom, I would miss turns or turn too early.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts