GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing how handy the gps systems were that you had at the BBQ I have started thinking hey I wouldn't mind having one at times.

So then comes the Question of which unit would suit my needs best?

Where better of a place than here to hear the plus's and minus's of each brand and model than this board.

I have limited funds for this new toy trying to keep it less than $600 so try to keep that in mind also.

also if gsxr1000 reads this could you post the manufacturer of your side air wings I really liked the style and workmanship on those.

Thanks for input

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
If you don't want mp3 player and XM, the Garmin 2720 would suit your needs very well. All maps preloaded, can download routes from the PC, and could be had for under 600 easy, check ebay, maybe under 450.00.

Get the motorcycle mount and hard wire to bike, also pick up a Auto kit and use in all vehicles.

I have one and like it very much...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
KYBLUE said:
If you don't want mp3 player and XM, the Garmin 2720 would suit your needs very well. All maps preloaded, can download routes from the PC, and could be had for under 600 easy, check ebay, maybe under 450.00.

Get the motorcycle mount and hard wire to bike, also pick up a Auto kit and use in all vehicles.

I have one and like it very much...
I have noticed that some of those GPS units give you direct or shortest way to the destination...can you program them for alternate routes,,or scenic routes..or out of the way routes ?????

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've got a Garmin 2610, which is the little brother to the 2720. On mine, you can specify the type or roads it uses for routing.
I've put 6-8000 miles on my bike since I got the GPS, and have found two particular functions to be most valuable. Having it find a destination by keying in the address is terrific. But, the one I use the most is to wander in the canyons, not paying any particular attention to where I am. I merely go down a road because it looks interesting. When I'm ready to go home, it's merely a matter of pushing a few buttons to tell it I want to find my way home. It guides me in, from wherever I am.

·
Registered
922 Posts
2610 here as well, uses flash card instead of hard drive. I have heard it is better for vibration prone vehicles, not for sure. I have had my card vibrate out just enough to not work, so I can't be sure a HD would be any better.

Another neat function is the detour and time till arrival, it will calculate how long it will take to get to the destination and give you a constant display. I bought a refurb on ebay, have about 5 k on it with no problem. You can even rig it to talk to you through your head sets.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
OHIO,

Since you are brand new to the GPS game, there is so much to tell you and you still wouldn't know all about it.

I have 2 places that you can go for information and purchasing.
www.cyclegadgets.com
www.gpscity.com

You can look up info on units that others have referred to in the thread. You might even choose a different unit.

Get the best one that you can afford. It will do all of the work for you and more.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
kam_nw_ohio said:
After seeing how handy the gps systems were that you had at the BBQ I have started thinking hey I wouldn't mind having one at times.

So then comes the Question of which unit would suit my needs best?

Where better of a place than here to hear the plus's and minus's of each brand and model than this board.

I have limited funds for this new toy trying to keep it less than $600 so try to keep that in mind also.

also if gsxr1000 reads this could you post the manufacturer of your side air wings I really liked the style and workmanship on those.

Thanks for input
Just happened to read this thread and glad I could help.
The info you want can be found here. The man that makes them is an independant and I doubt he has a website but you'll find his phone # in this thread in a post by Wingman57.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67834&highlight=

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the Grmin NUVI. It works extremely well and is very compact - the actual size of a deck of cards. The best features are...

the ability to preplan my trips on my computer and load them

• Restraunt listings and the ability to put in a chip with all restraunts, sights etc.
    Books on tape
    MP3
    Traffic updating
    and I can put it im my car.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
2720 here-happy with it
there are other models and brands that are good too
check em all out

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Silverback said:
I've got a Garmin 2610, which is the little brother to the 2720. On mine, you can specify the type or roads it uses for routing.
I've put 6-8000 miles on my bike since I got the GPS, and have found two particular functions to be most valuable. Having it find a destination by keying in the address is terrific. But, the one I use the most is to wander in the canyons, not paying any particular attention to where I am. I merely go down a road because it looks interesting. When I'm ready to go home, it's merely a matter of pushing a few buttons to tell it I want to find my way home. It guides me in, from wherever I am.
Ditto Ditto Ditto The 2610 is a great unit. Sorry they had to discontinue it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No one going to mention the iWays? We like the Lowrance iWay 500c for numerous reasons.

For everything you want to know about GPS and are not afraid to ask:
gpsinformation.net

David M.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll put in another vote for the IWay 500c.

I've had no problem with mine, and I like the large display.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
David M. said:
...For everything you want to know about GPS and are not afraid to ask: gpsinformation.net...
Unfortunately, the information on that site is not updated often enough - for example, they still have the iWay features at firmware level 1.3.0 (remember when it wouldn't do multi-waypoint routes? :) )

When you're comparing units and features, remember to calculate the cost of installation and wiring accessories to get an accurate price.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What is the most popular GPS, versus what is the "best" GPS are frequently two different things. Best is defined by your requirements. What is best for me is not necessarily best for anyone else, and vice-versa.

My personal preference (strong preference) is the Garmin GPS Map 276C (now discontinued but replaced by a newer version). Fantastic display, very superior in most ligting conditions to the Street Pilot series. More versatile, more waterproof, more features. Does that make it best for you? Don't know. It does not do mp3 or xm or other such things, but then I don't see those as relevant functions to a GPS. You may feel differently.

Carl

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
You've got a couple of mistakes there, Carl...

Silver-05 said:
...Garmin GPS Map 276C (now discontinued but replaced by a newer version).
The 276c has not been discontinued - in fact, Garmin has a $100 rebate on this unit (and the 376, 378 & 478) until the end of the year.

More versatile, more waterproof, more features...
The versatile and feature comments are opinion-driven, but the GPSMap and StreetPilot units carry the exact same waterproof rating: IPx7.

Some people would argue that a button-driven unit that relies on proprietary memory modules to store the map data is not as 'versatile' as a touch-screen unit that is preloaded with all of the maps, but like you say - what's best for you is not necessarily the best for anyone else.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is there a book that you can buy that is a good book explaining in more detail how to operate a GPS and create routes from multiple waypoints, etc. I have a Garmin 2730 but I am not real savvy about how to create a waypoint, then multiple waypoints and then hook them all together to create a route. I assume you would do this via Mapsource. Any help would be appreciated.

Essentially how do you create a route using several waypoints???

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input so far and the web sites to visit for more information.

I am trying to figure out several different things never using one of these units before.

I hear some are alot friendlier to use. i.e. easier to put way points in, find places.
which screens are easier to see that seems pretty important on the bike.

water proof of course wanted to hear if anyone had issues with that part.

Basically trying to get help with all the criterea I should think about before purchasing one.

I can sort of picture myself trying to load a trip up on one at home then taking off. on a normal trip i end up not going where planned not because of being lost but a "oh that looks interesting lets go see that" so if i change my route do i need computer to reload my planned trip or how easy are they to change routes on the trip.

also can see my self taking off heading in a direction then saying well i should be heading home get me there and about how much time will it take = " can i play a few more hours before heading home"

I should have asked a lot more questions while riding with the group in short what happened was I was thinking all along hey i don't need one of those then got home and my mom called me about doing some things at her house and said hey look what i bought then the nicest part do you want one for christmas

NOW that got me thinking

·
Road Warrior
1,323 Posts
I am from nw ohio also, Paulding Oh. Were are you at? I have 2 gps. It really depends on what all you want it to do. I really like my 2610 but the weather radar on the 376 is great. Sheila

1 - 20 of 53 Posts