GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an email notice from Garmin this morning stating that the update card for my 2006 has shipped!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Let us know how it works. Might have to get the update.

·
Registered
653 Posts
How much did they charge for it?
Jan, they are 95.00, but I don't see the shipping amount. Originally, my statement said 103>00 including shipping, but now, it may be shipping for free. Not sure on that one.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It looks like Garmin is now using NT for 2006-2008 navi's. Update is Oct, 2011. I just hope they got the bugs all worked out. I think I will
wait for a review or wait for the next update to come out. Winter is on its way and I can wait for spring time.

Learn more about the Honda Rider's Club of America

·
Registered
222 Posts
Got my email notice this morning too! I never had that much of a problem with areas I travel to, but it will be nice to get the update.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My CC has charge pending in the amount of the update card (less shipping) but no communication from Garmin yet on shipment. This has been a three month wait after placing order. Hope the bugs are out and it works correctly, providing they do finally ship.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Can you clarify for me

If I had an 08 which is non-NT I thought that the map file was not updatable to 2011 but it seems that the chart above says otherwise. Was there a change in the last 6-8 months?

edit-I looked on the Garmin site and a CF card (pre 09) is now available....

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
It looks like Garmin is now using NT for 2006-2008 navi's. Update is Oct, 2011. I just hope they got the bugs all worked out. I think I will wait for a review or wait for the next update to come out.<...>
If it's ~$100, and it works...yeah, maybe a one-time update would be enough to lengthen the time the unit is useful.

So, when one of y'all have an '06 or '07 unit updated, be sure to let the rest of us know, m'kay? :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
GPS update

I just ordered my. Thanks for the information I have waited to place order and checked the web site https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10750&ra=true it is now showing the 06 - 08 is ready. I will post if the down load goes well. I also talked to the tech and he said they held off all orders until all of the testing was 100% and he said the NT does work for all years. :lol:
The price was 95.00 + 8.00 for shipping + tax = 109.65

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
If I had an 08 which is non-NT I thought that the map file was not updatable to 2011 but it seems that the chart above says otherwise. Was there a change in the last 6-8 months?

edit-I looked on the Garmin site and a CF card (pre 09) is now available....
I was thinking the same thing. A year ago, everyone was all in a tizzy because they claimed Garmin was no longer going to support the older format. Were those rumors false?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. A year ago, everyone was all in a tizzy because they claimed Garmin was no longer going to support the older format. Were those rumors false?
False rumors?!?! On the internet?!?! The devil you say!!! That never happens.

:joke:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Well you can't puchase NT maps for the other Garmin devices....garmin still says they don't support the old devices.

It seems clear that what we were told was true: That Honda had a deal with garmin to keep updating cards from the older wings for 10 years.

I still think they are taking the raw map data, which doesn't even come from garmin originally, and putting it on the cards using the OLD compression scheme than the newer NT compression scheme. As a result, our NAV units can read the maps.

After all, would you want ANY owners of other Garmin devices to think you were shipping the old non-NT maps? Of course they are LABELING it as NT

But remember, NT is just the storage/reading format that Garmin USES on the data. The raw map data is puchased by Garmin from one of the few (two i think) companies that put it all together. There was never any theoretical reason Garmin could not do it except that they are refusing to do it for any of their other devices, and as we have seen, it is obviously a bit complicated to do it in an error free way especially on such a small scale.

I bet this has been angering a few users of the other devices as they have started to hear more about us lucky Honda owners.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I think our units will be upgraded to use the nt file system. I have ordered an update and will use my old CF card to find out once the upgrade arrives.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Well you can't puchase NT maps for the other Garmin devices....garmin still says they don't support the old devices.
Ir seems clear that what we were told was true: That Honda had a deal with garmin to keep updating cards from the older wings for 10 years.
one possible test...
how many files for the U.S. are on the new upgrade.

The old non NT format had about 130 (large files)
.. the new NT format has more (about 250) smaller files.
(I tried and tried, without success, to convert them a few years ago)

If they just reformatted the original source data to work on our CF card bikes,
I'd guess there are still fewer but larger files as before.
If they HAVE made our old CF bike work with the new NT format, look for more but smaller files.

worth a shot... :shrug:

Dennis

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think our units will be upgraded to use the nt file system. I have ordered an update and will use my old CF card to find out once the upgrade arrives.
To clarify: I'm talking about the compression/format of the data INSIDE the files, not whether you can dupe the files onto the old card...that would be no problem.

And since they need your NAV unit number to customize the card to your bike, it seems like you could could just dupe the entire new card to your old card and it would work fine for you...it would not work on my bike though. Let us know whether it works.

We'll see what sort of enterprising hackers try and simply make a hack to update the unit ID data that goes on the new cards...then a person could just steal the maps.

FYI, just as a matter of principle, I am against stealing software, especially when it's this cheap to begin with.

But my new card is sitting on my desk at home....so when I get there after work I will check the number of files on it.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
To clarify: I'm talking about the compression/format of the data INSIDE the files, not whether you can dupe the files onto the old card...that would be no problem.
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi, Bucfan. I might recommend, if you install the NT, then go back to previous, to see what happens, I'd make sure the firmware on old card is removed. Who knows what kind of havoc a firmware downgrade attempt might create. :shock:

I thought of the same thing several times. But, I seriously doubt it would work, because the "unit" will now be an NT unit. Might not even be worth the risk.

Just thinking out-loud.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Navi update

I am not sure what the problems are you are talking about with the update NT not working on the CF 2006-2008 Navi systems do you know something that Garmin is not saying.:?:

This from Garmin website:

(Keep your navigation system current by updating your maps and navigation software. The map update comes on either a preprogrammed 2 gigabyte (GB) Compact Flash (CF) card for model years 2006-2008, or a Secure Digital (SD) card for model year 2009 - 2010. This includes the latest operating software, roads, and points of interest (POIs) such as restaurants, gas stations, and Honda Dealers. After installing your new card, existing cards may be used for personal use.)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
The Navi will not "downgrade" firmware. It will only upgrade.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts