GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've called Honda about an update chip for my '06 Navi and they gave me Garman's number (866-606-7555). The rep there said all he can offer is advice that anyone can read out of the owner's manual. Other than that, he said he hasn't much to offer. But he did say that if I wanted an upgrade chip, to call my dealer; which I did, but they still don't have any info. Has anyone else tried to get an upgrade chip or has actually gotten one so far? If so, how much is it going to set us back?

Thanks alot

·
Registered
547 Posts
I read this on another forum, and therefore can't attest to it's truthiness...
From what I read, you can take the memory card out of your GPS and update the maps with City Navigator v8. It still won't let you operate the GPS while moving, nor give you true speed or mileage, but will give you the latest maps.
All you've got to do is find someone with CNv8 and you should be in business, if it's true.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that would be cool to do; you can email me separately, if you'd like to share the "other" forum privately.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If I could remember where I read it, I'd give y'all a link so everyone could read it. Since I have a Garmin 2610, I read that post with a little less interest than if I had an '06 with the factory GPS.
I wish I could remember where I saw it now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, getting software for V.8 would be the next step. However, no software was provided with the wing. Can you buy the software separately from a mobile Garman unit?

·
Registered
547 Posts
v8 is available from Garmin directly. The glitch is likely to be that they'll want the serial number of your unit. I don't know how readily available that information is on a factory installation.
I'd think your best bet would be to find someone that has v8 and will download the maps into your memory card. I've got v8, and would be glad to do it for you if you're willing to be without your memory card while it travels cross country.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sorry I,m confused. will V8 update my Honda nav?

·
Registered
927 Posts
v8 is just an update to maps that are stored on the CF card in the GPS unit in the trunk. It does not affect the way in which the GPS operates.
Ride Safe
Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts