GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help converting some Street & Trip routes I have of some state SS1000 into Mapsource routes. I have the full version of Gps untility but for the life of me I can't figure out how to convert them. Help

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Start GPSU
Click on the File choice in the upper left corner
Then click on open
Navigate to your S&T file and click to open
Then select File on the top menu again
The click on Save As
Navigate to the location where you want to save the file
Choose the GDB file type
GIve the file a name
Click File

You should then be able to open your file in MapSource
Basically what you are doing is opening the S&T file in GPS Utility and then saving it as a MapSource file. Opening in one format and then saving in another is what does the conversion.
At least this works for me.

Holler if you need more help.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CJ, that worked. Boy that is a lot faster than trying to do each one of the routes over again in Mapsource.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
S&T is about $25 at Sam's.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Fred H. said:
You mean to tell me there is a utility to convert routes from Streets and Trips into Mapsource?
Yes there is. And it is quick, easy, effective, and cheap.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fred You need to find a copy of S & T 2004... it is the last year that they let you set your speed options by numbers instead of faster or slower than their set speed. They dont tell you what their set speed is. They changed it for some reason after 04.

I do have 2004 if you want to see if you like the program. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
So, is the GPS utility program included with Streets and Trips or is it shareware that can be downloaded somewhere or is it a commercial software product and can be bought somewhere or............................?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I downloaded GPS utility. I created a route in Streets and Trips. I saved the route in S&T as an .est file.

I opened the S&T route in GPSU. It shows it as a straight line route from waypoint to waypoint and not as a detailed street route like I created and saved it in S&T.

I saved it as gdb, hst, gpx, and crs. Mapsource opened it as gdb and gpx but both were straight line routes instead of street routes.

I'm using Streets and Trips from 2004. Online manuals suck. Okay, my mapping skills suck. How did I go wrong?

I don't find Mapsource so difficult to create maps............but S&T is much easier so I'd like to work this out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Luckyman:

I did the same thing with the same results. All I did was to recalculate the route and it created a route using the 10 waypoints it preserved.

Before spending the $55 for the unlimited waypoint version, I'll have to give some more thought to it's value as I can plan routes on Mapsource relatively fast. I do use S&T for "big picture" routing as it does a nice job of computing a day's worth of riding which allows me to estimate stopping points.

Tim

·
Registered
624 Posts
Tim,

Thanks for the response.

So, you just saved it as a gdb and then uploaded it to the gps receiver and then did the recalculation? That makes sense, probably the way it has to be. :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
One thing to remember when converting from any mapping product to MapSource and then downloading to your GPS: The map databases may not be the same (identical) and the waypoints/vias created in another product may not end up located exactly on roads/streets in MapSource, which can cause some very unusual things to occur, such as instructions to drive off road or even get in to an infinite loop.

Don't ask how I know. :wink:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I can testify the infinite loop theory is real and is alive and healthy.

B

·
0 Posts
Jon said:
Yes, and it will even let you give meaningful names to your waypoints.
Or like I do, it will even let you give meaningless names to your waypoints

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
A little birdie suggested this conversion shortcut:
  • Save your S&T file to your desktop
    Drag that file onto the GPSU program icon (assumed to be on your desktop)
    Do a 'Save As' in the appropriate file format
I haven't tested this, but will when I get a free moment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts