GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no Fred Harmon, but I've put together a web page that has videos of some of the more-common GPS functions as performed on the Zumo, 2720 & iWay.

They're not all finished yet, but it's a start.

Edit: (oops - wrong link)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I just checked out what you posted. Have you linked it to your website? Where? I went looking a few ago before I read this and did not see it. BTW, thinks you need to turn puter off. I see what time you are posting. I am going to work here and your still up. Difference from East and West coast.

Check your PM....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Jon - just an FYI...some of the links on your Web page below several of the Garmin products are to unrelated products.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I get for posting late... :)

The link to the incorrect page is fixed (as are the old links on that page - thanks, DT)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, but it's only on one channel (Left). The camera recorded in stereo, but I was pretty much sitting on one side of it the whole time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great job on the videos....and the I-way skins!
I learned a few things about the I-way. :D

Fred

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I didn't learn anything new. What else ya got, Jon?

(Just kidding.)

You sure went to a lot of trouble to answer a couple guys questions. This was above and beyond the call of sales or duty. Nicely done.

David M.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David M. said:
... You sure went to a lot of trouble to answer a couple guys questions...
I get on average about 10 e-mails a day (especially lately) asking for recommendations, asking to explain the difference between the units, how easy one is to use over another, etc.

Hopefully, this will help explain some of the features and differences between them - as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to take down the GPS comparison videos - the bandwidth exceeded my website's monthly allocation in three days. The free video file sites have file size limitations so they don't appear to be an alternative.

I'm still looking for alternatives... :cry:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Jon said:
I had to take down the GPS comparison videos - the bandwidth exceeded my website's monthly allocation in three days. The free video file sites have file size limitations so they don't appear to be an alternative.

That did not take long to eat up the allocation. I still have to do the wife's website. But the templates they have for me to use, well do not work the way I want them too. Any good suggestions?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jon said:

I build and host online storefronts and websites.

Were you streaming the video, or simply allowing downloads of same?

What were your goals for the video? Can you reach those goals with less video?

Can you compress, cut, or otherwise modify the file sizes?

Can you get other websites to carry your video so everyone doesn't come to yours?

How much bandwidth did these actually use per day?

What file type were you providing?

Cheers.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
even though i don't have a Zumo, 2720 or iway 500c i would love to see the video, bet i would still learn something

·
Registered
149 Posts
This video is awesome John,
I have had my iWay about a year and learned several things watching your video.

You are awesome, thanks so much

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I wish I would of caught the videos before being pulled. I am trying to debate on which one to get between the 2730, 2820, or Zumo. I know each has its advantages. I am thinking the Zumo. I am not in need of XM radio and such now, but do want the bluetooth for the phone hookup. I wish we had a GPS store around here so I can talk to someone about them, versus here. I know I can do a search on them. Maybe I will later today. Just trying to figure out, other than price, why some people are getting one model and others getting another. Enough rambling on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Steve

I was considering selling my iWay and buying the Zumo. My wife recently bought a NUVI 660 and I liked the size better than the iWay. After watching Jon's video and playing with the NUVI, I have decided to stay with the iWay. It is much more flexible in set up and information displayed.

Jon. thanks for saving me some money by convincing me to stay with my unit. I would be willing to buy the instructional dvd from you when you get it all done. I even promise that I would keep it with Fred's dvd's in a safe place :lol:

Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts