GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new GPS owner , I noticed my GPS speed is lower the the speedo reading . If I go by the GPS speed do I risk getting a speeding ticket ?
I know it sounds dumb but humor me :lol:

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Goldwing speedometer usually reads high. At a steady speed the GPS should be very close to your true speed.

I have compared my GPS to the certified speedometer in my car, and to a moving traffic RADAR mounted in the same vehicle. The GPS, RADAR and speedometer all read within 1 MPH of each other. The GPS and RADAR were usually the same.

On my 2002 Goldwing the same GPS reads several MPH lower than the speedometer.

You should be fine using either the speedometer or the GPS speed.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I have a friend of mine who is a police officer here with the JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office).

Several weeks ago, I had him pace me and shoot me (with radar) to check my speed. I have a Garmin 2730 mounted on the bike.

80mph indicated on the Goldwing speedo. Radar had me at 74 and he paced me at 75.

75mph on the GPS. Radar had me at 74 and he paced me at 75.

The GPS is much more accurate, especially at higher speeds, than the speedo on the bike.

The fix for this? Go to 70 series tires (60 series are standard). With 70 series, your GPS and speedo should be about the same.

Bartman

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
hutch said:
...If I go by the GPS speed do I risk getting a speeding ticket ?...

I understand what you’re asking and I don’t mean to sound sarcastic but what you’re using really doesn’t matter. As a former LEO, what I used and the reading I got determined if a potential offending operator got stopped and/or a summons.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
DT is correct. It's completely irrelevant what speed your speedo indicates; it only maters how fast you are actually moving.

The GPS is very accurate IF you are moving at a steady speed. If you vary your speed the GPS will always be off. The reason is that the GPS only updates about once every second. That may seem fast, but how much can your speed change in one second?

If you don't believe me try this:
Get your bike moving up to about 20MPH and then do a quick stop. When the bike stops moving look at your GPS and you will see that it indicates something other than zero. It will go to zero after a second or so.

This reletively slow response is the reason you won't see GPS speedometers in cars anytime soon. That and the possibility of losing the signal.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I just do the speed limit......always a safe bet.

However, if you're gonna speed, make sure you have an "Active Radar Detector" installed.

(Cage Speed Demon at least 25-100 car lengths OR MORE) in front of ya.

:lol:

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
The crap that appears below is what happens when you fire from the hip and get in a hurry. Despite that I will leave it alone and see how offensive or idiotic the rest of you think before I delete it.

In a truly justified world, if you actually had a reasonable belief that you were doing a specific speed based on experience and instrument reading you would and indeed should be not guilty if the so called checked/calibrated measuring device and trained operator said different.
Basically what I mean is, if I tell the officer that I was doing 70mph and his readings indicated somewhere 'close' then we would have a discussion whereby he/she would inform me that my reading was incorrect, give me a reasonable warning and I would adjust my speed in the future for what I would then know is a incorrect speed reading of a certain measure.

Now what I mean by close is evidently the government allows speedos to be sold out the door with a variance error of +/- whatever. We have seen 6% with our wings and evidently that is within tolerances so let's go with that number simply because I don't know what the tolerance is and just don't feel like looking for it.

Our entire system of law with one exception is based on intent. Rather the reasoning mind's ability to perceive wrong and right and to reason a course of action based on that ability. We also are supposedly innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. However the exception is traffic violations wherein in practice you are guilty until you prove otherwise or introduce doubt sufficient to overcome the evidence present. (Officer testimony, instrument certs, etc.) My experience in Florida basically shows me you are up the proverbial creek if you are the average Joe and get a traffic ticket.

Oh and by the way, with utmost apologies to my former brothers and sisters in LE and specifically Leonard in Jacksonville. I have met at least one JCSO officer who is either lazy or a liar and I wouldn't believe any ticket written by him if I was the one operating the RADAR, LIDAR or stopwatch. The crap this officer tries to foist off as traffic enforcement is a shame.

J

·
0 Posts
You risk getting a ticket every time you move your vehicle on a public road. I once had a ticket for 10 mph over the speed limit and was not going even close to the speed limit. It is your word vs the LEO and he is always right, you always pay. The GPS is the most accurate instrument for speed you have as long as it is an after market unit as the built in unit does not render a speed per se. If you use the GPS speed you will not be speeding. There is a published M/C by manufacturer table of speed error some where on this board. The GW speedometer is most accurate with a speed of 4.1 mph higher than actual at 60 or 65 mph (can't remember which) running 60 series tires. GW running 70 series tires will show the same as actual and agree with your GPS according to Tom Finch a member of this board and the manufacturer of the Tailwind trailers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input , as a mater of record it was just a question :oops: I usually get passed by cars all the time, so much so I thought it was an erro in my speed indicator . But it turns out the world is full of idiots in a hurry to get to god knows where :shock: But illegal is only a sick bird :wink:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
scarredpelt said:
The crap that appears below is what happens when you fire from the hip and get in a hurry. Despite that I will leave it alone and see how offensive or idiotic the rest of you think before I delete it.
OK, I'll bite...I'm curious to know the "intent" of the information provided in this post.

But without said knowledge, I'll suggest much of what was stated is based on one or more false premise(s)...no disrespect intended.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,571 Posts
Re: GPSS vs Radar ?

hutch said:
I'm new GPS owner , I noticed my GPS speed is lower the the speedo reading . If I go by the GPS speed do I risk getting a speeding ticket ?
I know it sounds dumb but humor me :lol:
The stock speedometer reads fast and the odometer adds miles to the bike that you didn't ride. A lot us us here have installed a Yellow Box or similar electronic device that will correct Honda'a speedometer because we just want the speedometer to read true.

Before the correction my speedometer read around 6% fast and the odometer read 4% high. After I dialed the Yellow Box in my speedometer now reads the actual true speed and my odometer now reads 2 miles less for every one hundred miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts