GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I viewed all kinds of GPS mounts. I would really just like to mount my GPS on the windshield, under the vent. Concerned about the suction cup holding up and the GPS falling. Has anyone used the suction cup with a couple small screws through the windshield to secure it? If the holes are properly drilled, a couple stainless bolts, maybe nylon, and used with a couple rubber backed washers on the front, would do the trick. GPS would be out of the air flow, and I noticed that the lower part of the windshield is probably the most stable part of the bike when traveling. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It’s illegal on a bike & I would not trust it! Much better to mount it on the handlebars & it will also be easier to read on a sunny day! :laugh:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use the EZ mount it mounts to the vent on the windshield.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s illegal on a bike & I would not trust it! Much better to mount it on the handlebars & it will also be easier to read on a sunny day! :laugh:
I didn't know that (but my brother does). :0)

I did a quick search and saw that 28 states say it's illegal. Don't know about mine.

I can't mount it on the handle bars because my radar detector, oogah horn, fish finder, metal detector, radiation monitor and air purifier take up all the space.

Guess I might have to take off the Mexican fuzz-balls from around the windshield also.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I looked at those. Right smack in the middle of where I -wouldn't- want it to be. If it were some kind of a hang-down from there I would maybe...

Thanks for the reply.

I’m a EZ mount fan also, I’ve been using it for a couple of years and it’s actually where I want my GPS to be. It allows me to never take my eyes off the road.
With my height (6ft) and the stock windshield it does not obstruct or limit my vision.
I have a 05 with the stock windshield that I look over, if I miss something in my vision because of the EZ mount location it’s would be way to late for me to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Rammount has a double sided tape mount that I have used for year on my 2006. It even held up during my accident. My zumo 590 came out of it holder but the
ramount was still on the windscreen. The only problem is vibration which can make it hard to view at times.

part # RAP-B-378U

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Another option is a dash mount. A member here, Yoda, custom makes dash mounts that seem to be pretty secure. They mount to center top of dash just above the instrument panel. You just have to search for Yoda mounts on this forum or search the member and PM him for further details.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I looked at those. Right smack in the middle of where I -wouldn't- want it to be. If it were some kind of a hang-down from there I would maybe...

Thanks for the reply.
I am 5-7 and have my windshield as low as it will go so I look over the shield not thru it. The gps is well below my line of sight. The gps hangs just above the speedometer not in the way at all.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don’t know what the law is regarding mounting things to the windshield, but what I’ve done is no different than the stuff that Windbender puts on a windshield.
I mounted my GPS using a diamond shaped Ram mount bolted to the lower part of the windshield. If your GPS is just above the dash.....what would it matter how it is mounted.
As you can see in the pictures....the gps is mounted behind the actuator for the windshield. At no time is it a hindrance to the full view of the road!
BTW....drilling holes in your windshield does not weaken it.....Windbender uses 8 screws c/w holes to mount the upper shield to the lower shield, and it has to withstand the forces of 130 mph wind!
I’ve had this shield for 10 years with no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Red Wing One - thanks for the reply.

I'm still researching the different avenues I have.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
On my 2005, I mounted a Ram mount over the Honda badge above the radio on the top shelter. This worked as an ideal GPS mounting position for my Garmin 665.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I don’t know what the law is regarding mounting things to the windshield, but what I’ve done is no different than the stuff that Windbender puts on a windshield.
I mounted my GPS using a diamond shaped Ram mount bolted to the lower part of the windshield. If your GPS is just above the dash.....what would it matter how it is mounted.
As you can see in the pictures....the gps is mounted behind the actuator for the windshield. At no time is it a hindrance to the full view of the road!
BTW....drilling holes in your windshield does not weaken it.....Windbender uses 8 screws c/w holes to mount the upper shield to the lower shield, and it has to withstand the forces of 130 mph wind!
I’ve had this shield for 10 years with no problems.
:yes1::capwin::beer3:

That's a good solution with the Windbender.

I did something similar, picked up from someone on the web (maybe here). Instead of drilling into the shield material, remove one of the bolts that hold the rails on. Tap the existing hole out to a 1/4-20 thread and screw in one of the RAM B balls with the short stud. Similar outcome, just the ball is to the side rather than in the middle. Mine has been that way for years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts